Multiplayer

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

popeyeTSM

Multiplayer

Post by popeyeTSM »

Hey everyone, I am having a hard time finding information on how to run a multi-multiplayer game (say 2v2). What is the practical steps you would have to take to make it work. From what I have been able to figure out on my own, it appears it should go as follows. In this case, I just assumed it was a 2v1 (Allies vs Japan) for simplification of the outline:

JAPAN

1. Issue Orders
2. End Turn
3. Save to 010 (as an example)
4. Email 010 to ALLIES (1st and 2nd Player)

ALLIES (1st Player)

1. Load 010
2. Issue Orders
3. Save to 010 (use button in top left)
4. Email 010 to ALLIES (2nd Player)

ALLIES (2nd Player)

1. Load 010
2. Issue Orders
3. End Turn
4. Save to 010
5. Email 010 to JAPAN and ALLIES (1st Player)

JAPAN

1. Load 010
2. Game automatically conducts Combat Sequence and Saves to 001
3. Issue Orders
4. End Turn
5. Save to 010
6. Email 010 to ALLIES (1st and 2nd Player) and 001 Combat Save

ALLIES (Both Players)

1. Review 001 Combat Save (if desired)

ALLIES (First Player)

Repeat same as above after JAPAN; the Combat Save will already be pre-loaded into the 010, but will NOT show for the ALLIES. That has to be loaded individually in the 001 Combat Save file.

And then repeat the process indefinitely starting next with ALLIES (Second Player).

Can anyone confirm, correct, and/or redirect me to what it should be. Or is it not even possible?
Bullwinkle58

RE: Multiplayer

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

There's a sticky on the main page called "How to start a PBEM." It's ancient, but still right I believe.

Japan has to send two files each turn, the combat replay ("the movie"), and the turn file. The Allied player only sends one, his entries on the turn file previously sent by Japan. Then Japan runs the turn, generates the combat replay and the next turn file and it continues like that for about 1500 turns.

Easy. [:)]
The Moose
popeyeTSM

Post by popeyeTSM »

Sorry, I need to clarify. I am asking specifically about multi-multiplayer games. So more than just two players. The posting you mention I had read and it only applies directly to 1v1 games.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: popeyeTSM

Sorry, I need to clarify. I am asking specifically about multi-multiplayer games. So more than just two players. The posting you mention I had read and it only applies directly to 1v1 games.

Sorry. I skimmed.

Looks about right, but I don't know why you have Allied #2 mail the turn file back to Allied #1. Guess there's no harm, but he's never going to need to open it again.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Japan player 1 sends it to Japan player 2. Then the allies play 1, then 2. It's exactly like a 1x1 except each side doesn't close it's turn , they send it to their partner who then closes it.
popeyeTSM

Post by popeyeTSM »

That makes sense. The idea behind sending it to the other Allies player was for file continuity and just to make sure the master file would not be messed up. Not sure if that is even necessary though. The other thought was to save right before ending turn so you can re- load and continue planning as a team, which would then be best if the final Allies player did it and sent accordingly to the other Allies player. That would be a pre-game turn addition to the above outline. I guess I need to ask a few specific questions.

1. How do you get the combat replay to work for japan since the first player will be the one to get the combat replay. Perhaps every japan player loads initial file from last Allies first to see replay?

2. Will the continuity of the game be preserved if a single player does not load every save?

Steve, by not closing you are referencing a simple top left save rather than an end turn save right?
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

I am close to the end of a 2(Allies) vs. 1(Japan) PBEM, and we practically never had any issues (except for 1-2 times one of us hitting the wrong save button).
It is just like 1 vs. 1, except Allied player 1 does not hit "end turn" but "save" before he sends the file to Allied player 2. We agreed that both Allied players will receive the replay and turnfile from the Japanese player, so the Allied player 2 can watch the combat replay without delay and check on stuff while player 1 still is working on the turn.

To make sure everybody knows what the status of the turnfile is, all players rename it before sending it on. This way we can doublecheck if we are working on the correct file. The format is "mm/dd/yy IJ done" when Mike sends the file to us, "mm/dd/yy IJ done CW done" when Rob sends the file to me, and "mm/dd/yy IJ done CW done US done" when I send the file back to Mike. Helps a lot.

To answer your specific questions:

@1) The Japanese player generates the combat replay when loading up the turn. Same as 1 vs. 1, for details check
How to Start a PBEM

@2) Yes. The game technically does not discern between players on the same side. In theory you could have 10 Allied players for each nation and service do each turn, and some skip it some not. I´d rather kill myself than try that but it is possible.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

You're right, popeyeTSM, basically each person does their portion and then saves (not ends) the turn and passes it on to the next person. Last person ends and ships it off to the other side. I once participated in a 3 person per side PBEM of the old WitP and it was horrendously slow. (The guys I was playing with/against were wonderful, but the game was slow.) Keep in mind that with multiple players on each side, you have more opportunities for RL to rear it's ugly head. Also, if people on one team are in different time zones, that will slow the game further. Still, it's an interesting idea. There are definitely new aspects to deal with that you don't have if you play 1 on 1. If you do this, I recommend you have one person to be the Supreme Commander and make all the strategic decisions. Otherwise, it'll be more chaotic than is necessary. That part was always fun. Everyone vied for the reinforcements and permission to rebuild a unit and use valuable replacements. [:D] Lots of fun!
Created by the amazing Dixie
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Anyone playing a "multi PBEM" that have tried using dropbox? Should make things really smooth as you can easily see who uploaded what and when. Its a VERY nifty program. If you have a Samsung phone you get 50GB of free space for two years. Otherwise I think you can get 10GB for free.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Japan player 1 sends it to Japan player 2. Then the allies play 1, then 2. It's exactly like a 1x1 except each side doesn't close it's turn , they send it to their partner who then closes it.

Here there isn't a Japan 2 though.
The Moose
popeyeTSM

Post by popeyeTSM »

Perfect, thanks for all the responses. A group of us were trying to get it to work and were the most worried about game continuity with so many files swapping around. Lots of great ideas to simplify the process. Bullwinkle, that was just an example format. We are likely going to work out a 2v2. Thanks again everyone.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Perfect, thanks for all the responses. A group of us were trying to get it to work and were the most worried about game continuity with so many files swapping around. Lots of great ideas to simplify the process. Bullwinkle, that was just an example format. We are likely going to work out a 2v2. Thanks again everyone.

Cool.

The bottom-line gist of all responses is you can do pretty much anything until you red-button close the file. That writes to the file and sets some kind of bits that force the file to look for the next password and a change in player side. Until you close with that button--just save it with the top left tool bar icon--you can work on it in all sorts of ways on your side of the player fence.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Anyone playing a "multi PBEM" that have tried using dropbox? Should make things really smooth as you can easily see who uploaded what and when. Its a VERY nifty program. If you have a Samsung phone you get 50GB of free space for two years. Otherwise I think you can get 10GB for free.

Yes. I've done 3 2x2's using drop box.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

That makes sense. The idea behind sending it to the other Allies player was for file continuity and just to make sure the master file would not be messed up. Not sure if that is even necessary though. The other thought was to save right before ending turn so you can re- load and continue planning as a team, which would then be best if the final Allies player did it and sent accordingly to the other Allies player. That would be a pre-game turn addition to the above outline. I guess I need to ask a few specific questions.

1. How do you get the combat replay to work for japan since the first player will be the one to get the combat replay. Perhaps every japan player loads initial file from last Allies first to see replay?

2. Will the continuity of the game be preserved if a single player does not load every save?

Steve, by not closing you are referencing a simple top left save rather than an end turn save right?

A top left save. I don't regard the end of turn as a save. It's a "end of turn". You can't go back and fix it. So communicate with your partner closely. I recommend either Skype , another IM system, or frequent phone calls.

I also don't use the "Supreme commander". I use the USN's "Chop" system. We divide areas of command. When I send you a unit , I "chop" it to your command , unless prior agreement is made. I might suggest to my partner strategy, but it's his hill he's king of. We are co-equal allies.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Here there isn't a Japan 2 though.

a 2x1 , 2x2 or technically a 1x1 all play the same way. Don't go all lawyer on me Moose! [:D] Nukes should never go lawyer. It's unseemly. Nukes do facts. Lawyers , to quote Douglas Adams "lawyers argue black is white then get run over on Zebra crossings" (cross walks). Trust me, I've been married to one for over 30 years. It's often not pretty. [:D][:D][:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Supply officer and paralegal . . . so pffffftttt!!!! [8D]
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Ooh...a dog robbing bean counter! I'm impressed![:D] I can't make any snide comments about the paralegal though. I once made my living that way. [8|]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Ooh...a dog robbing bean counter! I'm impressed![:D] I can't make any snide comments about the paralegal though. I once made my living that way. [8|]

I've got most bases covered that don't involve cutting into living tissue. [:)]

I trained as a paralegal, but unfortunately graduated out into 2009 with the wrong set of chromosomes and too many gray hairs. If I had a WayBack Machine I'd go to 1986 when I got out of the nav and apply to UVA law school instead of Duke B-school. One of those life inflection points.

Now I spend much of my time emailing the younger members of the forum urging them to not make those kinds of mistakes. And to get off my lawn.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”