Does it Just Look Like it or is IT?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Werewolf13

Does it Just Look Like it or is IT?

Post by Werewolf13 »

Been reading the reviews, looking at screenshots and watching You Tube for Command:MA/NO and it sure looks a whole lot like Harpoon. Too much like Harpoon!

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but one wonders. Did someone snatch up the Harpoon rights, create a new company and repackage harpoon with a face lift. And then I read about some of the issues and it makes me wonder even more.

Inquiring minds want to know?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Tomcat84

RE: Does it Just Look Like it or is IT?

Post by Tomcat84 »

Uhhhhh, what?

This game is not Harpoon. It is completely new. Hence it's not called Harpoon X.

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

Well, I guess since there are only so many ways you can draw NTDS symbols and only so many ways you can draw a map of the world...then yes, I suppose Command does "look like" Harpoon [8|]
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

This is like saying TOAW is a repackaged PanzerBlitz because both use hexes.
jomni

Post by jomni »

No its not. It's Janes Fleet Command in another skin.
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

This is like saying TOAW is a repackaged PanzerBlitz because both use hexes.

Yeah! And BOTH of those games look like a bee hive. Stupid game developers...repackaging bees. [:D]
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

No would have been an acceptable answer.

Detailing the not so apparent differences between Harpoon and Command: MA/NO would have been even better.

Then again the nature of the responses was just so much more humorous than real answers to a reasonable question and about what one could expect from fanbois.

I'm sure the publisher will appreciate y'all making up my mind for me about what would otherwise have been an $80 purchase.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

Generally on the internet (as in life), if you pose a simplistic criteria ("it sure looks a whole lot like Harpoon") followed up with a confrontational/pointed inference ("Did someone snatch up the Harpoon rights, create a new company and repackage harpoon with a face lift.")...you're not going to be given the benefit of the doubt.

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Detailing the not so apparent differences between Harpoon and Command: MA/NO would have been even better.

Then again the nature of the responses was just so much more humorous than real answers to a reasonable question and about what one could expect from fanbois.

I'm sure the publisher will appreciate y'all making up my mind for me about what would otherwise have been an $80 purchase.
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

The nature of the question probably prompted the answers. I am sorry for you if that makes you not buy the product because you will be missing out on a great piece of software. Your loss man.
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
henri51

Post by henri51 »

When one spits into the wind...
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

ORIGINAL: jomni

No its not. It's Janes Fleet Command in another skin.

Wow, not even close IMHO....FC wasn't even as good as the other sim..
But By Grace Go I.......
PaulWRoberts

Post by PaulWRoberts »

I think it's fair to say that CMANO is the latest game developed in a genre that was defined and for a long time dominated by the Harpoon series. What we have here is a very strong and welcome evolutionary development.

Anyone who has played Harpoon and played CMANO will see the improvements right away: a truly global map, a much better interface, a rich and more detailed database, and tools for doing many things better (a lot of the things we're used to doing, but also some new things). The level of support and enhancement we've already seen since release (not to mention the willingness to tackle inevitable bugs) speaks volumes for the forward-looking approach taken by this team.

This game has been called a "spiritual successor" to Harpoon, and I think that's apt. I think it's definitely the case that very few people will play CMANO and then want to go back.

Return to “The War Room”