Moonlight

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Moonlight

Post by Chris21wen »

Anybody ever tested the effects of moonlight?
blueatoll

RE: Moonlight

Post by blueatoll »

Haven't tested this but I've observed that Allied sub attacks with 0% moonlight, while not as frequent, are much more successful and have the opportunity to bag more than 1 ship in a convoy more frequently. I've also noticed that sub attacks are more frequent with 80%+ moonlight but ASW seems more effective in that amount of light.

Night air raids seem to be more effective with higher moonlight as well.

Again, nothing definite but just my own observations.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Just 1300 hundred turns of trial and error but no testing. PTs can be very deadly in low moonlight but tend to get shot up by DDs in high moonlight. Surface forces engage at closer ranges in low moonlight, which gives a big edge to the long lance equipped Japanese ships in the first half of the war. Second half and Allied radar negates low moonlight. Only a fools send valuable BBs into a night fight with low moonlight. I am reluctant to send my CAs as well. They are all just torpedo bait and the BBs rarely fire a shot when the range is close. High moonlight is a different matter and BBs have a chance to fight and "might" do some damage. Old American BBs with their low crew quality, very slow speeds and slow rate of fires really should not be fighting in any sort of moonlight until they have some good late war radar. My two cents, anyways.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Does the bomber moon have any affect?
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

My play can certainly confirm (anecdotally) that PTs can be deadly in very low moonlight and have very little chance when the moon is approaching or at full. Just ask those that have played against me! Paul????

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”