PERSIAN GULF

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

operating

PERSIAN GULF

Post by operating »

If Entente transports can arrive in the Persian Gulf, should not Entente warships be able to deploy there too...Or travel there through some off the map route.....

Historically, I don't know the answer...

Gamewise, I'd like an answer...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
operating

RE: PERSIAN GULF

Post by operating »

The naval - history site below; shows a chronalogical history to military actions in the Persian Gulf region during WW1. It's easy to read and includes a number of little known actions there during the war. If you have the time check it out.

My primary mission is; to show the existence of the English navy in the Persian Gulf, and ask WHY it is not represented in the game?

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Battle1 ... otamia.htm

Below is an opening paragraph about the Persian Gulf;

NAVAL CAMPAIGN IN OUTLINE

Friday 23 October 1914

Because of increasing Turkish hostility, British/Indian forces were dispatched to protect British oil interests in the Persian Gulf area, and arrived off Bahrein ready to land

Friday 6 November 1914

British/Indian forces started to land in Mesopotamia from the Persian Gulf supported by old battleship Ocean (Capt Hayes-Sadler), sloops Odin, Espiegle, and including Government yacht Lewis Pelly, launch-tugs Garmsir, Sirdar-I-Naphti, Mashona, Miner, all manned, armed and commissioned by HMS Ocean.

HMS Espiegle (Photo Ships)

Odin, sloop, Epiegle-class, 1,070t, 6-4in/4-3pdr, Capt Hayes-Sadler in command and crewed by Espiegle, with convoy carrying Anglo-Indian expeditionary force, entered Shatt-el-Arab and came under Turkish fire. Odin in 40-minute duel silenced a 4-gun battery at Fort Fao or Al Faw guarding the Shatt-el-Arab entrance, hit twice and later fired on by riflemen from trenches. Espiegle hit entrenchments further upstream opposite Abadan (Rn/D/gb)
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I agree with you, British/ India troops should indeed be transported to the Persian Gulf. I have contacted the powers that be, to see what they think off adding Oilfields to the game, as strategic objectives, with positive and negative morale effects, thoughts anyone regarding this suggestion?[8D]
Make it so!
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Adding a thing to make reason for war with Ottomans is a good think. For now I can't see any reason unless you want to turn attention of CP in other front line. Ewen if you force Ottomans to surrender (which is allmoust imposible in multiplayer) you gain no victory point.... why?
I think makeing some worthy goals there is a very good idea!
Adding a Victory Point for Ottoman surrender bring back a "draw state" in game. And weakening them a little would be a good thing...
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

The game is not logical concerning Persian gulf.
As UK you can deploy units and try an invasion, but NOT any warships - which essentially means you can't supply your units there.

It is necessary to enable Entente player to move warships in the Persian gulf.
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

try to check if unit transport gives supply- then you can supply your units without warships ;D
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

Thanks for the tip.
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

I don't know if transport give supply- did you checked it?
operating

Post by operating »

Hi Suprass!

My PC turned into a smoldering pile of junk about a month or so ago, got a new PC, however it is not completely setup yet.

The thing about using transports; (1) cost in PP for unit in transport (2) tying up a transport point for a possibly extended period of time (3) resulting in a units' (in transport) readiness loss (in the RED) (4) Yes, Transport would be a supply source for adjacent ground troops (bring up to full (supply) strength and available tech upgrades).

Would prefer to have a cruiser in the Persian Gulf at 1 PP, than have to pay 2 PP for a garrison unit on a transport, ramping up adverse effects for home nation.

Now, having a port in Kuwait included with the 1.40 patch makes even more sense to have warships available in the Persian gulf region.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”