unable to play as user

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

goron

unable to play as user

Post by goron »

Hi,

I have a problem running Distant Worlds Shadow on Windows 7.

I installed Distant Worlds and all add-ons as non-Admin user (the istaller asked for the
Admin password) in a directory which is not the default one. I also updated by running the
updater dirctly (not autorun.exe menue)

I can start Distant Worlds as Administrator, but i am unable to start it as normal user.
Autorun.exe starts as user, but if i click on play or update in the menue Distant Worlds or
the Updater does not start, the update is able to run directly and is asking for the admin password.
I didn't see any errors and could not find any game log-files, old update logs.

But as i can run the game as admin, i don't think that it is the .Net/XNA problem
(FAQ 1.) but a problem with the permissions.

For security reasons i don't want to run the game as admin or with admin rights.
Can someon help me to add (only) the permissions the game neads, or if my analsys of the
problem is wrong direct my in the right direction.

Update:

Even as admin i am not able to run "Distant Worlds" directly, only from Autorun.exe (Menue)
which is started with "full Admin" permissions
Erik Rutins

RE: unable to play as user

Post by Erik Rutins »

Distant Worlds does require that you run as Administrator by default due to the game setup.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Gabberkooij

Post by Gabberkooij »

I've bought this game for my 11 years old son who saw some videos and wants to play it. Bu ut I do not want to give him admin rights on his system. Is there no way around this?

Martijn
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Hmm. I used to do this while running other apps under Vista so it might work under Win7 the same. Currently I am the sole user so use Admin by default.

1. Set an Admin password (I assume you already have)
2. Under the User's account select the DW Game Menu Launcher; Right-Click > Properties > Compatibility and check 'run as Administrator', it should ask for the Password
3. Repeat for the Distant Worlds .exe

Log in on the User and check if DW runs, if it does then check to make sure no other Admin rights are active.
Gabberkooij

Post by Gabberkooij »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Hmm. I used to do this while running other apps under Vista so it might work under Win7 the same. Currently I am the sole user so use Admin by default.

1. Set an Admin password (I assume you already have)
2. Under the User's account select the DW Game Menu Launcher; Right-Click > Properties > Compatibility and check 'run as Administrator', it should ask for the Password
3. Repeat for the Distant Worlds .exe

Log in on the User and check if DW runs, if it does then check to make sure no other Admin rights are active.

Thanks, but it does not work on Windows 8 that way.

My quess is that they are using the registry and that is always a pain to get right. That is why I do not use the registry for my applications.

Martijn

Return to “Tech Support”