Tooltip for KIA and claims

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

nukkxx5058

Tooltip for KIA and claims

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi, during turn resolution KIA's appear in a tool tip on the map but not claims (or did I miss it ?). I know claims appear in the diary window but it would be nice if they could also show up on the map close to the unit during combat. Maybe they should be displayed with a different background color so that we can easily visually differentiate KIAs and claims.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
CapnDarwin

RE: Tooltip for KIA and claims

Post by CapnDarwin »

nukkxx,

Those numbers are one and the same at the moment. Both get reported in the Diary window and the claims are in the Force Report.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Maybe I was not clear enough :-)
I tool a picture to explain. See below, KIA (my unit killed) appear on a tool tip directly on the map (left picture) but the claims (ie. enemy units I killed) appear only on the diary (see right picture) but not on the map like the KIAs.

What I said is that it would be nice if the claims could also appear on the map in a tool tip and not just in the diary. I suggested a different color to distinguish them easily from my KIA units.

Attachments
KIA_claims.jpg
KIA_claims.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

We don't want those kill claims showing up on the map if you are playing FOW. They shouldn't be displaying in the diary either.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
wodin

Post by wodin »

At present it seems to me the diary breaks FOW..it gives you too much info on a unit. Sure I've seen it where on map a unit is just a tank but the diary will tell me exactly what it is.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

We don't want those kill claims showing up on the map if you are playing FOW. They shouldn't be displaying in the diary either.

But isn't it your own side making the claims? So why shouldn't they show on the map with FoW?
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Are you familiar with the American experience at Normandy in WWII?

There we fought multiple engagements with German armored forces. Magically, in every one of them, we were fighting against Tiger tanks. The only problem with that, is, that there were no Tiger tanks, that faced the Americans, until the fighting in the Falaise Gap.

Your own troops reporting anything is the weakest, as well as the strongest, form of intelligence. It shouldn't be reporting them on the diary if it's not reporting them on the map.

Good Hunting.

MR

TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

I guess you could write a system that reports only partial truths, but that might be rather complex. It'd be kind of neat, though, to have the reports you get filtered through a distortion lens so that you end up with inflated claims, mis-identified hardware, etc. I'm pretty sure there are other things with a higher priority though.[8D]
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

So does it mean that with FOW on we'll have no info at all on enemy causalities during the battle ? Sounds strange if we stay in the dark all along the fight, no ? I would have thought that in modern warfare we should have some relatively reliable info...
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

You are a bit busy when people are shooting at you. More than likely too busy to count how many types of which enemy have been killed, if you can even tell, or which types they were.

The FOW intelligence is limited to some abstract notices.

* Mines kill enemy units - the crosses show up.
* VL's change ownership.
* You see how many hits a unit takes during the combat resolution.

That's a good bit more than, "with FOW on we'll have no info at all on enemy causalities during the battle.", in my book.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

My phone ate my post on this earlier today. the design team will need to sit back and discuss the various aspect raised as to what should be known/seen and reported at various FOW setting. There are a few posts on this scattered in the main forum along with our point of limited indirect intel (hence mines, arty, and swapping VPs). All of this needs to be wrapped up into a better cleaner ball and brought into the game in future updates. The game engine already has a number of spotting states it uses and we need to go back in and do a better job of showing information based on those states and the FOW setting the player wants.

Bottom line, we will work to make this more functional and informational as we go.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Remember people your the highest up in command..just because your Inf squad knows what it has killed doesn't mean you do. Infact if I had it my way I'd have a FOW setting that really did limit the info you have coming in..i.e you may see firing lines and know a unit of your is shooting but you wouldn't get the full info on what they killed or even what they where shooting at until it was radioed through so there would be a time delay. Obviously you will during the scenario gather the full info but it wouldn't be instant. At the end of a scenario when FOW is limited any unknown intel would be would be shown. DOwn to what weapon killed what.

However I think at the moment if a counter shows up as just Tank and and isn't fully spotted, then when you destroy a unit, in the message box it should just state Tank rather than say T80..as at the moment his doesn't happen and the message display really breaks FOW.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Tank vs T-80 is where I'm going with my statement above. AFV to Tank to T-80B1 type of detail as you gain more intel. Getting fuzzy results may be a bit more of an issue with the current coding but we will look at it. Be cool to have a claimed vs. actual at game end.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Would be cool...like that idea. Very good feature for a Vietnam game.
ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Tank vs T-80 is where I'm going with my statement above. AFV to Tank to T-80B1 type of detail as you gain more intel. Getting fuzzy results may be a bit more of an issue with the current coding but we will look at it. Be cool to have a claimed vs. actual at game end.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”