Ukraine '43 - New User Scenario

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

sdemonte

Ukraine '43 - New User Scenario

Post by sdemonte »

Ukraine '43

3 August - 23 November 1943

Historical Overview:
Beginning with the Soviet operation Polkovodets Rumyantsev to liberate Kharkov, this scenario includes the southern front along the Mius. The Soviets must push hard to liberate Kharkov quickly and then push along the entire front to the Dnieper. "The Belgorod-Khar’kov operation would be the largest Soviet offensive since Stalingrad and would involve literally hundreds of units. For the first time, Soviet front and army commanders had well balanced mobile groups to conduct operational maneuver and Soviet mobile forces fought German armored units to a standstill and were not forced to make significant withdrawals." - David Glantz

Scenario Overview:
The German army after suffering high casualties during the battle of Kursk will be hard pressed to contain the Soviet offensive. However with numerous, yet woefully under strength, panzer divisions and three SS panzer divisions acting as fire brigades cutting off and eliminating Soviet army spearheads your goal is to buy time and slow the Soviet advance while inflicting as much damage as possible. Even weakened the panzer divisions properly utilized can still very effective. The Soviet player cannot expect to steamroll to the Dnieper. You need to stretch the German lines to the breaking point so your mobile forces can exploit. Keep in mind that you can probably push the German's back anywhere you choose, but his counterattacks are going to hurt. Try not to allow him to mass his panzer divisions by keeping multiple threats of advance.

Scenario Length: 17 turns
Axis Admin Points per turn: 25 Soviet Admin Points per turn: 25

There is no Axis player-turn on turn 1.

Notes:
I was inspired to create this scenario because of the great enjoyment I had with a GMT boardgame, Ukraine '43. It was enjoyable to play either side. The victory points encourage the German player to hold onto Kharkov as long as possible (at least as long as historical, turn 3 or 4, Aug 23rd) and the Soviet player is also pressed by time to capture cities by the end of the scenario to win which force them to do deep historical armor thrusts. I believed I have captured that spirit of the game here. The OB of the Kharkov front comes from David Glantz's "From the Don to the Dnepr" where he provided specific details of all units involved (both Soviet and German) and the southern front OB is from George Nipe's "Decision in the Ukraine Summer 1943 II SS and III Panzerkorps". Where I had some gaps between the two, I used the OB from GMT's Ukraine '43 and some other resources. The OB may not 100% perfect, but it's as good as I could make it with materials I had access to. I have soloed it at least 25 times and have tweaked it and it feels right compared to the GMT boardgame I have played so many times.

Make sure to check out the reinforcements for both sides because the German side is desperate for units to plug holes and the Soviet player needs the extra infantry to hold up the flanks as his armor advances. Both sides will not have enough front HQs to handle all units on the map, unless you overload your HQs and suffer penalties. Probably the best idea is to assign non-essential units to Higher HQs. For example, German rear security divisions to Army Group South. Rail units for the Soviet player will be available starting on turn 10 to simulate fuel issues they had. As the Soviet player you really won't have a fuel issue unless your offensives are so successful you reach the Dnieper before turn 10.

There will be several turns of mud in October by default of rules. Randomized weather may change this - see weather rules.

The scenario is highly playable solo just like the board game was with or without FOW. I generally lock the HQs so the computer doesn't redeploy the few Tigers/Panthers that are deployed on the Kharkov front to another hot spot.

AI:
I have tried working with the AI to make it possible to play single player against the AI. I have recorded a pretty good Soviet first turn which creates several issues for the German player to deal with and creates some holes for the AI to work with. I haven't had much success though with Soviet AI, even using waypoints and turning attack to maximum, so if you are going to play with the AI you should play the Soviets. Even doing that don't expect too much, unless you turn up the difficulty.

Soloing is fun, as I am interested with the situation after Kursk and historically it is an interesting situation for both sides. Human vs Human is probably the best choice.

If anyone has some talent with programming the AI be my guess to edit and improve it and share it with us. If anyone sees any glaring issues also please let me know. Any feedback is welcomed. I initially made this scenario for myself, but after several months of working on it I decided to share the fun. Enjoy.

Author: Scott DeMonte - demonte.scott@gmail.com

P.S. Thanks to Gary and his 2by3 Games team for a another great game war game. I have been enjoying his war games for over 20 years. Thanks also to John Duquette as I was able to use one of his scenarios as a starting point so I didn't have to create every unit from scratch. By the way, as I researched for this scenario I came to see how very impressive his OB work was.

To Play:
Unzip Ukraine 43.scn and Ukraine 43.txt into your C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\scen directory. The Ukraine_notes.txt is just a copy of this post.

Thanks,
Scott
Attachments
Ukraine43.zip
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 747 times
Denniss

RE: Ukraine '43 - New User Scenario

Post by Denniss »

Looks nice, thanks for your work.

Please check:

***** UNIT Basic checks ****
Unit ID 1253: 1st Slovakian Infantry Division OB (343) nationality mismatch (U:5 OB:6)
Unit ID 1269: 24th Rum. Infantry Division OB (136) nationality mismatch (U:5 OB:4)
Unit ID 1270: 4th Rum. Infantry Division OB (136) nationality mismatch (U:5 OB:4)
-> set up as hungarian units?

Unit ID 2188: 5th Tank Brigade guards status mismatch
-> needs a Guards name if set to Guards status

Unit ID 3751: 2nd Hun. Mountain Brigade - bad HHQ is set (1219)

WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

I just started playing this scenario. Nice job. I felt the despair the Germans leaders must have felt as they watched their proud units retreating and routing.
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
sdemonte

Post by sdemonte »

Agreed...its definitely a different perspective especially if your used to playing early Germany. Trying to hold Kharkov as Soviets spill around the flanks, and knowing when to pull out before disaster strikes. Make sure you can fight or run away another day!

Although heavily outnumbered your panzers will maintain a tactical edge over the Soviets on a unit-for-unit basis. Just make sure to maintain your mobility, hit and run and don't end up getting swallowed up.

Grossdeutschland arriving on turn 2 with its tigers is a monster compared to the other panzer divisions at that time with its 100 tanks. Combine that with 1 or 2 SS Panzergrenadier divisions and you can temporary stop any Soviet advance. You must be careful not to burn them up with too much movement (rail is ok) or combat.

Thanks by the way!

Leber

Post by Leber »

Excellent scenario, thank you very much for making it! One inconsistency is that 6th Guards Army withdrew from the fighting in mid September to refit in STAVKA reserve, but doesn't in your scenario. I forget the exact date.
sdemonte

Post by sdemonte »

Glad you like it...I will look and see what I can find about the 6th Guards Army. I will make the changes along with the issues Denniss mentioned above.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”