Chemical

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

british exil

Chemical

Post by british exil »

Scenario "Strike First" met up with a very dangerous foe. Chemical warfare. The soviets have used chemicals on my frontline, my units have moved through these hexes, some seem to move through and others eg. tracked Rapier have just blown up all 4!!

Some units seem to move back into these hexex although they had cleared them.

What do these hexes do? How long do these hexes last for? Can I clean them?

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
CapnDarwin

RE: Chemical

Post by CapnDarwin »

Once spotted units should try to avoid them (not guaranteed). Recon can see them before getting into them and that helps other units avoid them. The green contamination is persistent chemical. It will contaminate the unit until the unit can clear the area and then do a Rest and Recovery to decontaminate. If slimed, units can suffer losses. Contamination also effects the morale and readiness of a unit and also impacts combat effectiveness with the need to use chemical gear. Like radiation contamination those hexes are effected for the duration of the fight. Some bad mojo.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

In a contaminated environment it is important to get your recon unit out to reconnoiter your route of advance. That way you can save your units from blindly wandering into a contaminated field--which can ruin your day not to mention your battle play.
Charles Belva
british exil

Post by british exil »

Yep, found out the hard way. Sometimes it may be good just to let your recon move on the first turn and let the rest catch up.

I assume chemicals have no effect on helo's?

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Yep, found out the hard way. Sometimes it may be good just to let your recon move on the first turn and let the rest catch up.

You think? Maybe there is a reason that recon units are attached to armies other than the cannon fodder that most games have them be.
I assume chemicals have no effect on helo's?

Mat

Correct. The assumption was that the helo's would be out of the area quickly, the chemicals on the ground would not affect them if they did not land.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
british exil

Post by british exil »

MR I meant that the recon units move out slowly, but not by recon by death, as often players use them. I would assume that 15-20 min they would have scouted 1-2 km and let the armour move up. Will try and play "Strike First" a little different, hoping my recon will live to report on what they spot.

OT I would like to be able to give a command, watch and report, no firing to show ones position. Sit in the woods, town and report what is being seen. Maybe retreating slowly so as not to compromise the position and tell the enemy "We saw you and know what you are doing".

Mat

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Mat,

Added your no shooting recon order to the features wish list. Most light recon will not mix it up with anything big and usually scoot away. Some heavier platforms if they have the weapons will engage if threatened.

Thanks for the input!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
british exil

Post by british exil »

Your welcome.

I think most of us are really enjoying the game, of course a few small problems have arose, but we all said we want the game now, a patch or update will be provided asap.

And of course we want the game to be made even better, thus the input.

Mat

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”