is there a way to notify me of sale email in here

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

brucemcl777

is there a way to notify me of sale email in here

Post by brucemcl777 »

Hi Guys - these days I just can't bring myself to pay a $100 for a game - and I gather many others feel the same way - however the minute they reduce the price of SCOURGE OF WAR 150th Gettysburg anniversary edition and the complete DISTANT WORLDS franchise I will buy them.

So whether it's a price reduction, sale of the week, or the christmas sale is there a way to get a notification email? - I would hate to forget to check in and miss them as a sale of the week.

And Matrix could you do a reality check on prices in general? With several other digital distribution company running 50% to 75% off ( and sometimes even 90% ) sales regularly on older and sometimes newer games how much market share are you losing? There are a couple of dozen other games on here I would be willing to buy if the prices weren't so steep. And I say this respectfully as you do have the right to charge what you want just as I have the right not to buy them at that price. [8D]
you can always find me on Steam at
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/stratwin
Where we are all about Strategy - come join us - there my name is I'm Spartacus.

Order of Battle: Pacific fan
Morning Sun: beta tester
US Marines: beta tester

Greyshaft

RE: is there a way to notify me of sale email in here

Post by Greyshaft »

Your request for email notification is good and I would like it also. I haven't yet missed a sale item I wanted but I don't want to start.

Your other point is getting tiresome (although I accept that it's probably the first time you've personally made it). Matrix games are Matrix property and they can sell them for what they want. IMHO asking them for a discount because you think they are overpriced just shows you do NOT understand the way the world works. There are many Matrix games that fail my cost/benefit criteria so I just don't buy them and Matrix expects that behaviour. There here are some game that I bought when they were on sale and Matrix expects that behaviour also.

If games don't sell then Matrix will lower the price or go out of business.
If games ARE selling then Matrix will politely ignore requests for discounts. In addition I think requests for discounts distracts Matrix from the other parts of your conversation.
If you can get Matrix games cheaper elsewhere then do so and only after that come back and tell Matrix - they'd love the feedback. Of course, if you are saying that you can get "Mario Karts" for $10 at Gamersgate so you expect to get "Matrix World In Flames" for a similar price here I think you need a serious reality check. You are not comparing apples with apples.

So suck it up and live with the real world price for these unique products or else go and ask your Daddy for an increase in your allowance.
</grumpymode>
/Greyshaft
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I agree. Well except for your last sentence. A touch over the top imo.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
brucemcl777

Post by brucemcl777 »

Hi Greyshaft - glad to meet you

I don't think my Daddy is ready to increase my allowance yet - for one thing I'm 62 and retired, and for another he never gave me an allowance after I was 16, and besides that he passed away 4 years ago.[:-] So can you suggest something else?

And my friend I did acknowledge they have the right to charge anything they like. In fact I own a dozen or so games from Matrix.

I would like to point out a couple of other things though. I acknowledge I can't get Matrix games cheaper from any legitimate supplier and I don't expect to get it for $10 either. I expect even on sale it will be in the $50 to $75 range which is still a big chunk of change for a game that is several years old.

There is also a well known 'steal this here' site which I shall not name. Distant Worlds with all the add ons is readily available there. But I never have and will not support piracy. I would much rather wait and support the developers of the game (Code Force) in NZ so they continue to improve it.

So wouldn't it be better for everyone - Code Force, Matrix, and me if they charged a little less and got 100% of something instead of 100% of nothing? Then with the extra money I can move out of my parents basement which is kind of cramped because they didn't have one.
Where we are all about Strategy - come join us - there my name is I'm Spartacus.

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

bruce does make some good points. There comes a time in a games life where it becomes too dated to warrant full price for me at least. Forge of Freedom was one of my favorite games during its time, but having loaded it up not too long ago for nostalgia reasons, its age became evident very early. The same goes for all the title. You don't realize how many things in current games have advanced until you load up some older titles.

Yet Matrix has their reasons for sticking to this business model and like you I just vote with my $'s.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
brucemcl777

Post by brucemcl777 »

Actually as well - though I have now been retired since I was 49 as far as knowing real world prices - well my last "job" I owned and operated a chain of electronics stores for over 20 years before I sold them ( I fancy I knew when to get in and when to get out ). I've made my living playing the stock market since then. So I think I know something about pricing and retailing.*

I own literally thousands of games all bought legally - most of which I've never played - going back to Atari 1200 and then commodore 64 days. I'm actually fairly wealthy but will admit I want value for my dollar. ( Did you know 2 out of 3 millionaire's buy their personal cars used and not new? It's a documented fact. ) So it's not about being able to afford it or having my "daddy" increase my allowance. It's about getting value.

And Hi also to you Missouri Rebel - any gentleman of the south is a fine guy to me. ( and god bless Robert E. Lee )

* My dear departed Daddy taught me to be polite even when disagreeing (except to lawyers)

histgamer

Post by histgamer »

To be fair SOW is only $4 over the price range you posted. The complete collection is $79.99 digital.

Also if you'd rather you can get SOW Gettysburg for just $29.99, sure it doesn't have all the expansions but that way you can at least see if you like it and buy the expansions you want and ignore the ones you don't. However, I understand you're desire to wait for a sale. With that said I think a $79.99 price for a full game and 4 expansion packs is a pretty fair price imho when it comes with over 150 scenarios, 10+ maps, a relatively active modding community churning out free mods for Napoleonic, and Spanish war of succession mods, and a few others like the battle of Sessessionville and the Trans-Mississippi is in development per their forums.

If you haven't already check out their forums for info on a lot of the free stuff you can get to add some value to you're purchase. All the mods work with the base game. Scourge of War - Forums
ORIGINAL: brucemcl777

Actually as well - though I have now been retired since I was 49 as far as knowing real world prices - well my last "job" I owned and operated a chain of electronics stores for over 20 years before I sold them ( I fancy I knew when to get in and when to get out ). I've made my living playing the stock market since then. So I think I know something about pricing and retailing.*

I own literally thousands of games all bought legally - most of which I've never played - going back to Atari 1200 and then commodore 64 days. I'm actually fairly wealthy but will admit I want value for my dollar. ( Did you know 2 out of 3 millionaire's buy their personal cars used and not new? It's a documented fact. ) So it's not about being able to afford it or having my "daddy" increase my allowance. It's about getting value.

And Hi also to you Missouri Rebel - any gentleman of the south is a fine guy to me. ( and god bless Robert E. Lee )

* My dear departed Daddy taught me to be polite even when disagreeing (except to lawyers)
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

SOW is one of the few games here that I have never checked out. Was it like Take Command? (another game I never played)
brucemcl777

Post by brucemcl777 »

Well hello to you flanyboy

You make a good point but I am in Canada - so the price is $87.99 plus HST which puts it just under $100 - and I do know I'd like it as I have played the demo and own 2nd Manassis
(sorry spelled wrong I know) it's very close cousin. And I have a collector mentality so I need to own the whole thing or nothing at all whether I play it or not.

Also I was referring more to Distant Worlds - with it's 3 expansions which comes out to $110 plus HST (just under $130.) And Canadians make less than our yankee cousins and are taxed heavier. So $130 is a mighty big bite.

And one more point. (And I'm sorry for this Greyshaft but I can't resist )- despite the fact I live in my parents basement and am waiting for an increase in my Daddy's allowance - I'm on my third wife. I don't like lying because I can't remember lies so I almost always tell the truth - even though I know most wives lie about how much they spend at the beauty parlour and on jewellery etc. Now my wife will let me buy all the games I like without bugging me if they are $10 or $20 - but if I was fool enough to say I spent $130 on a game she'd say I was nuts and run straight to the jewellery store for another stupid ring with a 1000% markup.

So tell the truth guys - how many of you that are married either have to hide that you've spent that kind of money on a game or lie about it ( which I would rather not do since I don't have enough years left to properly train a 4th wife.)

brucemcl777

Post by brucemcl777 »

Yes Missouri - it was the same developers - they had a falling out and broke up and this fellow started his own company and released SOW which was a more advanced version based on the same programming - quite a messy divorce between the partners with accusations flying everywhere.

histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Missouri the Programmer from the Take Command games is the head guy on the Scourge of War games. The designer of Take Command is not involved.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I hear ya, though my wife typically doesn't question what games I buy. I don't question what she buys.

Well hello to you flanyboy

You make a good point but I am in Canada - so the price is $87.99 plus HST which puts it just under $100 - and I do know I'd like it as I have played the demo and own 2nd Manassis
(sorry spelled wrong I know) it's very close cousin. And I have a collector mentality so I need to own the whole thing or nothing at all whether I play it or not.

Also I was referring more to Distant Worlds - with it's 3 expansions which comes out to $110 plus HST (just under $130.) And Canadians make less than our yankee cousins and are taxed heavier. So $130 is a mighty big bite.

And one more point. (And I'm sorry for this Greyshaft but I can't resist )- despite the fact I live in my parents basement and am waiting for an increase in my Daddy's allowance - I'm on my third wife. I don't like lying because I can't remember lies so I almost always tell the truth - even though I know most wives lie about how much they spend at the beauty parlour and on jewellery etc. Now my wife will let me buy all the games I like without bugging me if they are $10 or $20 - but if I was fool enough to say I spent $130 on a game she'd say I was nuts and run straight to the jewellery store for another stupid ring with a 1000% markup.

So tell the truth guys - how many of you that are married either have to hide that you've spent that kind of money on a game or lie about it ( which I would rather not do since I don't have enough years left to properly train a 4th wife.)
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Like any business, the price has to be right. Yes the price of games has increased over the years, but they are still reasonable for the amount of entertainment they provide. As most who are on a budget, I simply set aside a chunk of my "allowance" till I've saved enough to purchase. Till then, I check the reviews and forums for more information on a particular game which either leads me to purchase or pass on it. And there are sales here at Matrix, although an e-mail or IM would be great. Oh, and since my wife and I get an "allowance" weekly, she's actually encouraged me to purchase games every once in a while. So hang in there, a sale is certain to come around but not anytime soon. So set aside a few bucks each week till you can afford the game. Take care...
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Bruce,
Glad to see that you can take it like a man.

If you want to flog the pricing horse some more then perhaps do it in its own thread so that your other extremely valid question (email notification for sales items) doesn't get drowned in the tidal wave of pro/con pricing posts and repartee. I can imagine the Matrix team rolling their eyes and going into a "lets ignore this one" trance and thereby missing the other point.

My point is that Matrix has responded to the pricing question many times with (IMHO) some quite rational arguments and it's crystal clear that their policy is not going to change until the business economics do and right now the business economics seem to be on their side. So lets lay this topic to rest and move on.

Oh yeah ... what was your other question?
/Greyshaft
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Good points. I'd also jump on a SOW series sale, and hope to see one before year's end.

On the pricing issue, I've seen this crop up time and time again here over the years... most of them spent lurking. My take is one of free market. A company has a right to set an asking price of whatever they wish. If Matrix decided that Distant Worlds should go for $499.99 that's their right. It's their license agreements, their products, their right at bargaining. For that same reason I'm against minimum wage laws, affirmative action policies, and pretty much everything else the system does these days. A voluntary system requires understanding and agreement from any and all parties involved in a business relationship. When party A agrees to a price, the negotiated price and its value is secondary to the agreement itself with party B. This is where the basis for all contract law (common law) comes from.

While I think Matrix's prices are a bit steep, it's their right to ask whatever they want. I also RESERVE THE RIGHT not to agree. This might just very well be the last real power the consumer has in today's meat grinder economy. Choose or snooze, cash or credit. BUY OR NOT TO BUY... now that is the question.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
brucemcl777

Post by brucemcl777 »

Greyshaft - no I agree that the price issue is probably old and tired so I would rather adjust than flog a dead horse and bore every one.

I'll just say one more thing in Matrix's favour - when sale prices are run constantly they are no longer sale prices or special - they become the expected norm - the way Matrix does it at least when it is a sale it really is special - and looked forward to by customers - not expected all the time.

The other issue could be solved easily by a sale of the week email we could sign up for or a price change notification email - that would do the job for me and there are many "borderline priced" games that the weekly sale would tip me into buying.

And cheers back to you as well mate.

Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

The other issue could be solved easily by a sale of the week email we could sign up for or a price change notification email - that would do the job for me and there are many "borderline priced" games that the weekly sale would tip me into buying.

+1
/Greyshaft

Return to “General Discussion”