Be advised

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Terminus

RE: Be advised

Post by Terminus »

And yet, it's still not as bad as the YouTube comments section...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

As for other kind hearted forum regulars , watch out for these "time sucking vampires". They are getting even more clever (and twisted). [:(][8|]

Any screen names?
They are forever changing. Besides, I got severely whacked by management when I named names a couple of years ago (even in a "private" PM) so I'd just as soon not say. I'll get you a E-mail of the latest though. As far as I know , I'm still on "double secret probation". [:D]

Steve,

Send a copy of the email my way too, por favor.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

I don't doubt there are sicko's out there.

But, it occurred to me that maybe the newbie did not know how to download a file, put it in the correct folder and load it. Possible?

Then, too embarrassed to ask for help?

Maybe?

Regards,
Feltan
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

I don't doubt there are sicko's out there.

But, it occurred to me that maybe the newbie did not know how to download a file, put it in the correct folder and load it. Possible?

Then, too embarrassed to ask for help?

Maybe?

Regards,
Feltan

One time, maybe. But there seems to be a lot of this going around. And I'm not that unlucky. [8|]
ndworl

Post by ndworl »

Might explain the lack of response when I advertised as a "newbie". I've played a lot of Napoleonic games and in that genre there is a club, with a hierarchy, rules for entry etc, partly to avoid that problem. A lot of work and I'm glad some people seem to enjoy doing that sort of stuff. In the absence of such a thing, I wonder would an approach be to ask your would be opponent for some evidence of a track record. As I say, I bought this game about a month ago, so am an absolute beginner, but I believe I have a sufficient footprint in the electronic gaming world to reassure people that I do actually play games and thus am less likely to set someone up for a fizzer (which I agree is pretty weird).
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: ndworl

Might explain the lack of response when I advertised as a "newbie". I've played a lot of Napoleonic games and in that genre there is a club, with a hierarchy, rules for entry etc, partly to avoid that problem. A lot of work and I'm glad some people seem to enjoy doing that sort of stuff. In the absence of such a thing, I wonder would an approach be to ask your would be opponent for some evidence of a track record. As I say, I bought this game about a month ago, so am an absolute beginner, but I believe I have a sufficient footprint in the electronic gaming world to reassure people that I do actually play games and thus am less likely to set someone up for a fizzer (which I agree is pretty weird).

The more you include about yourself in your "ad" for an opponent, the better you are likely to do. Also, the further away your "request for an opponent" is from the time you joined the forum, the better you are likely to do. (Setting up a forum account, then advertising for an opponent for a three year campaign game as your first post raises flags. When that advertisement also states that you are very experienced with the game, it raises even more flags.)

As far as I know, there is (and only ever was) only one idiot who occasionally engages in this behavior, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 95% or better of the posts requesting a new opponent are genuine. The other 5% have thus far mostly followed the formula I mentioned above - very recent sign-up date, and a first or second post requesting some unusual scenario in a campaign game. Even in those cases, as a new player honestly looking for a game, I wouldn't worry much. When this happens, between 5 and 10 well known forumites almost always jump on these posts and warn legitimate newbies away. Call it forum vigilante-ism, call it helping newer folks out, but this particular individual is almost always extremely easy to spot, and rarely gets an invitation for a real game. (Except against Steve, apparently... [:'(])
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Quixote

ORIGINAL: ndworl

The more you include about yourself in your "ad" for an opponent, the better you are likely to do. Also, the further away your "request for an opponent" is from the time you joined the forum, the better you are likely to do. (Setting up a forum account, then advertising for an opponent for a three year campaign game as your first post raises flags. When that advertisement also states that you are very experienced with the game, it raises even more flags.)

As far as I know, there is (and only ever was) only one idiot who occasionally engages in this behavior, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 95% or better of the posts requesting a new opponent are genuine. The other 5% have thus far mostly followed the formula I mentioned above - very recent sign-up date, and a first or second post requesting some unusual scenario in a campaign game. Even in those cases, as a new player honestly looking for a game, I wouldn't worry much. When this happens, between 5 and 10 well known forumites almost always jump on these posts and warn legitimate newbies away. Call it forum vigilante-ism, call it helping newer folks out, but this particular individual is almost always extremely easy to spot, and rarely gets an invitation for a real game. (Except against Steve, apparently... [:'(])

I've had many a go round with he (or one case he posed as she) whom you speak. The last two weren't he/she. We may have a copy cat or two (who were quite sophisticated) or , more likely, others. Hence my warning. Now go tilt at another windmill! [:'(][:D]
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

I've had many a go round with he (or one case he posed as she) whom you speak. The last two weren't he/she. We may have a copy cat or two (who were quite sophisticated) or , more likely, others. Hence my warning. Now go tilt at another windmill! [:'(][:D]

I'm tilting as fast as I can, sir!

P.S. Say hello to Linda for me. [:'(]
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

I've always tought that a thread with pending PBEM games could be useful, maybe something like that:

X (playing Japan) vs Y (playing Allies) currently January 43

It would not prevent those suckers to changing their names but at least you could distinguish trustworthy guys who go ahead with their games even if they do not post too much on the forum.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

A thread should be started for anyone who has been victimized to simply post and say so.....to avoid the house Gestapo no ID of culprit need be given. This way we have some idea of the number of occurences and their timeliness.

Could it also be that someone or two are simply poking a stick in the eye of particular people?? There are after all bad losers in this world!

Return to “Opponents Wanted”