Questions from a returning player!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

flibby

Questions from a returning player!

Post by flibby »

Hello all,

I've returned to WITE after a few years away, and have a few questions due to seemingly lots of changes!

I've attached a picture of my current situation in the first game back. I've managed to isolate Leningrad, which i am very happy with, and have forced 2.6m losses to the Soviets, with i'd say another 500,000 to come in the Leningrad pocket. I have, however, suffered 400,000 losses myself - which concerns me hugely.

The mud has hit, and i'm struggling to stay in supply and minimise pockets, can anyone suggest whether the game is 'winnable' from this position?

Now on to my questions if you'd be so kind:

1) Air supply.

I remember being able to resupply 3-4 units per AG per turn. This now seems to only be one unit. Is this WAD? There seems to be a new rule about the airbases being within 5 squares of a recommissioned railroad hex too, but a few questions on that; does an airbase have to be within 5 hexes of an already recommissioned rail hex, or can it move there during a turn, and still fly missions?

2) Panzer tactics:

I seem to need to 'rest' my panzers more, and their movement seems more limited than before - do people withdraw them from the frontlines for a turn or so prior to an attempt at an encirclement?

Finally, any mud tips??

Many thanks all.

Nick

STEF78

RE: Questions from a returning player!

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: flibby

1) Air supply.

I remember being able to resupply 3-4 units per AG per turn. This now seems to only be one unit. Is this WAD? There seems to be a new rule about the airbases being within 5 squares of a recommissioned railroad hex too, but a few questions on that; does an airbase have to be within 5 hexes of an already recommissioned rail hex, or can it move there during a turn, and still fly missions?

Air supply is now less efficient : only transports are eligible for such missions and airbases must 5 hexes from the railhead. I didn't try to move airbases before dropping fuel.
2) Panzer tactics:

I seem to need to 'rest' my panzers more, and their movement seems more limited than before - do people withdraw them from the frontlines for a turn or so prior to an attempt at an encirclement?

For encirclement I use Inf to break the first line, Pz to clear the 2nd an 3rd if needed and mot to run behind the line. HQBU is the most powerful tool for the GHC.
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”