Adding Aircraft to an airbase

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mac Linehan

Adding Aircraft to an airbase

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Created a single unit airfield, close to Hanoi 1967. In editor mode, with the airfield selected on map, used the "edit a/c" drop down to add 8 Mig 21 PFM Fishbed F's.

In the "Magazine" mode, do I have to add eight sets (x2 each) of Atoll missiles, and GP9 (23mm) gunpods (one of two air to air load outs) in order to ready the aircraft for launch?

I am getting there; have read and reread the rules, with lots of in game experimentation.

Any help - perhaps step by step (for a Noob) would be greatly appreciated.

Love the game, baby steps at first, then adding more each time around. I want to ensure that I understand how it all interacts and works.

It's close to midnight, time to hit the hay and will try again tomorrow.

Thank You all for your help!

Mac

LAV-25 2147
jomni

RE: Adding Aircraft to an airbase

Post by jomni »

Yes you need to load up the base with missiles and bombs. Make sure there is enough to last several sorties.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Once you add your A/C to your airfield, go to the A/Field Magazine, click on the add weapons record and finally check the box for weapons for a/c at parent a/f. This gives all the options available for your MIG21. Often several options available each weapon, EG 4/4 64/64 or 0/60000 and on the final option you can choose as many weapons as you like, however saying that if you add 60000 Atolls you won't be able add other weapons to the mag, therefore you will not be able to complete the proper loadout for your A/Cs.
Formerly Goodwood

LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Good point above. I have a little checklist when creating Airfields.

1. Add Runway Access Points - check A/C sizes.
2. Stands and HAS's - check aircraft size. Most fighter types are Large/Medium. Hawks are small.
3. Add runway / taxiways
4. Add Ammo Dumps
5. Add Fuel
6. Group the Airfield
7 Check DB - Note aircraft loadouts
8. Add aircraft
9. Add Ammo to Magazines - filter for only types at Airfield
10. Ready A/C

Point 2 can be a bugbear. Don't forget that a lot of modern fields can cater for Very Large a/c, so don't put in a Large Access Point [:)]
Der Zeitgeist

Post by Der Zeitgeist »

Does anyone know if fuel tanks are actually used by the aircraft currently? Building my airbases, I had a hard time deciding on the size of the underground AvGas tanks.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

No they aren't
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: BASB

Once you add your A/C to your airfield, go to the A/Field Magazine, click on the add weapons record and finally check the box for weapons for a/c at parent a/f. This gives all the options available for your MIG21. Often several options available each weapon, EG 4/4 64/64 or 0/60000 and on the final option you can choose as many weapons as you like, however saying that if you add 60000 Atolls you won't be able add other weapons to the mag, therefore you will not be able to complete the proper loadout for your A/Cs.

BASB -

1. re the 0/60000 option; if chosen, does that mean I enter a numerical amount for that weapon?

2. Also, just to make sure I understand when adding weapons, I am adding multiple sets of the same load out, for example x20 total of the (x2 Atoll and x1 GP9)?

EDIT - after rereading the above posts, I am clear that I am adding multiple sets of the same load-out for the Migs. Thanks for your patience.

LuckyJim1010 -

Excellent Check List, I shall add it to my notes. On item 2, what does "HAS" stand for - perhaps Hangers?

Gents, I am most appreciative of your immediate support. It is always wise, when in doubt, to as the Big Boys...<grin>

I am blessed to have this week off, have finished my "Honey Do List" for the day - so on it and at it with enthusiasm.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Russian Heel

Post by Russian Heel »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

On item 2, what does "HAS" stand for - perhaps Hangers?

Hardened Aircraft Shelter.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Russian Heel -

Thank You for the clarification, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

G'day Mac,
no worries, I'm no expert, but I love the detail in this sim. I'm getting old and have trouble comprehending the written word. I have read the manual several times and pickup some new bits each time. Getting hints from the forum and watching the various videos all builds on my knowledge of this wonderful sim, but it is fiddling with the editor that has increased my knowledge the most. I reckon my play time split is 20% scenarios and 80% editor since the game was released.
A week or so ago I created this scenario purely to test nuke bombing raids and stealth bombers, from a base in Diego Garcia to some bad guy buildings on the island of Socotra off the coast of Somalia. Just gotta love the rolling effect of a 1.5KT bomb as it slowly takes out many building over several kilometres.
The scenario has now grown to 3 sides goodies baddies and neutral civilian shipping. It has terrorist pls, a couple Terrorist trucks, a Somalian village, a MEF and supporting ships, a bunch of pirate boats and civilian craft such as sailboats, tankers and cruise liners, and I have LCACs docked in my Wasp Class. Very little related, but who cares its a test scenario
Last night I was trying iron out some skill issues I have with Events Editor. Basically I wanted to lose and gain points for the 3 sides for 1 action, sinking of a sail boat by pirates. Once I created the event I had test it in the scenario to refine the action. And this the best part, sadly the pirate boats are armed with a 12.7mm MG which takes a month of Sundays to take out the Yacht. so back to the pirate boat and and a mount and 40mm Bofors gun. This little pirate now cleans up small boats very easily.[:D] [:D][:D] I was able to refine my Event much quicker. Playing with the Scenario Editor over the past week has given me a much greater insight into CMANO mechnanics.
So I guess the moral to this long winded post it, to get a greater understanding of CMANO, play around with editor.
Formerly Goodwood

navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
ORIGINAL: BASB

BASB -

1. re the 0/60000 option; if chosen, does that mean I enter a numerical amount for that weapon?

2. Also, just to make sure I understand when adding weapons, I am adding multiple sets of the same load out, for example x20 total of the (x2 Atoll and x1 GP9)?

EDIT - after rereading the above posts, I am clear that I am adding multiple sets of the same load-out for the Migs. Thanks for your patience.

LuckyJim1010 -

Excellent Check List, I shall add it to my notes. On item 2, what does "HAS" stand for - perhaps Hangers?

Gents, I am most appreciative of your immediate support. It is always wise, when in doubt, to as the Big Boys...<grin>

I am blessed to have this week off, have finished my "Honey Do List" for the day - so on it and at it with enthusiasm.

Mac
You do not need to add multiple sets of the same loadout to the magazine.Just add enough to cover... so if you chose the 0/60000 one, then maybe go into that, after adding it, into maybe 60/60000, then grab another item, a bomb perhaps, grab the 0/60000... change it to a number sufficient for enough sorties for how long your scenario is, say 100/60000.. etc. You could add multiple smaller loadouts, but it makes it a little more clustered.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I think there is a maximum capacity shown somewhere, but I'm not sure where, anyway you can't add anymore weapon than the magazines capacity
Formerly Goodwood

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Have been playing all day, after it all came together. Once understood, it was very logical! Played my USAF F-105D strike mission against Hanoi SA-2 sites - with tanker, wild weasel and AWACS support against Sam Batteries (did not fire - they were jammed!) and MiG 21PFM fighters. Using the editor, I managed both sides - and loved it. Had the MiGs on "intercept when unfriendly" launch, but should have included a CAP element on patrol - will do so the next time around!

So - small potatoes, but really fun and learned a lot.

BASB - love your Somali Pirate scenario, will have to put one together!

navwarcol - Thank you for your help, I eventually figured out how to do both the 0/100 and multiple individual load outs.

I am sure that the magazine capacity is listed somewhere.

The single unit airbase had the "very large capacity" designation except for the taxi way. Thus my EC-121 AWACS Constellation was perpetually prepping for take off, and would not launch. My first response was to add an individual very large taxiway and group it with the base, but this did not correct the problem, so I added a new single unit base with the correct taxiway. Problem solved.

Ok - all this is beginner stuff, but a lot of fun,

Thanks again to all of you for immediate support. Will play again tomorrow...

Mac
LAV-25 2147

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”