Time to Dance (Soviets)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

loki100

Time to Dance (Soviets)

Post by loki100 »

This shows the end point of my latest go at Time to Dance (4 with Soviets, 3 with NATO - it really is a gem of a scenario).

NATO has just broken, I had 60% intact and very few outright knocked out.

Few things I tried that really worked. Split the artillery missions roughly 40% CB, 30% on call, 20% direct support and very few targetted. Result was by the end no NATO artillery left. On call and DS seems to work well in this scenario as the ACR units do a lot of shoot and scoot. On call, was useful as by sending some scout platoons on wide encirclements I was able to spot at least 2 HQs and destroy them with artillery (all around the 2500 VP area) but missed the company HQ down near Bad Neustadt.

Decided to operate the 2 tank regiments on close axes of advance. Got them up to a jump off position, used the scouts to flush out some NATO positions, then a dash to the river. Due to their mutual support in the firefights I often had 4 companies in action against a single NATO platoon.

I think the ACR made a mistake of a major counterattack at Hesrau (all those blue crosses) as I was bridging and putting the T-80s over. Shifting artillery fire and the direct fire of 25-30 tanks created an awful lot of damage.

Last as you can see, I kept the MRR out of it. They moved into Hesrau once the MRT had secured it and took part in the defense against the NATO counter-stroke. I lost one BMP (not least as by that stage NATO artillery fire was limited).

What helped was poor weather - went from mist to rain pretty early on.

Few other bits - used limited orders and kept to my basic plan (helped that at no stage did it seem to be going wrong), basically operated in 4 phases - to my jump off positions (hasty), to the river, over the river and then to expand my bridgeheads

I also thing that because I waited a few turns before the assault, some NATO scouts came looking for me, and each ran into a complete hull down tank regiment
Attachments
endpoint.jpg
endpoint.jpg (598.14 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Mad Russian

RE: Time to Dance (Soviets)

Post by Mad Russian »

You take what you can get.

WARNING - for all the times that weather will help you it will also hurt you. Weather is a very fickle friend.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “After Action Report”