If you set research to max you can never research anything!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Tanaka

If you set research to max you can never research anything!

Post by Tanaka »

I'm playing a new slow game with research set to max and Ive noticed its an impossible setting to use because the research never gets far along enough before it is eventually reset by a critical research failure or setback. On each branch every time. You might get to 80% if your lucky!
Shark7

RE: If you set research to max you can never research anything!

Post by Shark7 »

Check your scientist characters, sounds like you have a 'Creative' scientist which is much more prone to critical break-throughs and critical failures. May be worth dismissing that character if one exists.

I play with 999k research and don't have any problems doing research.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Check your scientist characters, sounds like you have a 'Creative' scientist which is much more prone to critical break-throughs and critical failures. May be worth dismissing that character if one exists.

I play with 999k research and don't have any problems doing research.

Oh wow your exactly right and it seems like the setbacks are more powerful than the breakthroughs which is another problem. Tough to dismiss my only scientist to fix this! I guess if the AI has this type of scientist they are screwed because they cannot dismiss!

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (269.91 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
Oh wow your exactly right and it seems like the setbacks are more powerful than the breakthroughs which is another problem. Tough to dismiss my only scientist to fix this! I guess if the AI has this type of scientist they are screwed because they cannot dismiss!
Seems like a scaling bug to mee. Shouldn't be possible to never get any research with a creative scientist.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Buio
ORIGINAL: Tanaka
Seems like a scaling bug to mee. Shouldn't be possible to never get any research with a creative scientist.

I've had one project get set back 4 times in one game. I eventually just stole it from the Ancient Guardians, and didn't have any problems after that. I'm not quite sure exactly what happens to cause it.
Distant Worlds Fan

FerretStyle

Post by FerretStyle »

In my experience there is a roughly equal chance of setback or breakthrough, and if I remember right a project cannot get a setback once crash research has been initiated on it so you end up with a net gain of research in most cases.
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

ORIGINAL: FerretStyle

In my experience there is a roughly equal chance of setback or breakthrough, and if I remember right a project cannot get a setback once crash research has been initiated on it so you end up with a net gain of research in most cases.

Which is a very good reason to always initiate a crash project when a technology is almost finished being researched. Has a minimal cost, speeds it up and protects against such great research disasters. It also means that if you get a random free crash project it won't be on something you've almost finished researching.

Worst one for me though is pre-warp where you get a setback on Warp Bubble, Hyperdrives or Colonisation.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

Which is a very good reason to always initiate a crash project when a technology is almost finished being researched. Has a minimal cost, speeds it up and protects against such great research disasters. It also means that if you get a random free crash project it won't be on something you've almost finished researching.

Worst one for me though is pre-warp where you get a setback on Warp Bubble, Hyperdrives or Colonisation.

Good advice. After having some techs get setback from 90% completion to 10% completion, you definately learn the value of spending a few extra credits.
Distant Worlds Fan

CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

Good advice. After having some techs get setback from 90% completion to 10% completion, you definately learn the value of spending a few extra credits.
Very good advice. I have had tier 6/7 techs fail multiple times, for massive RP point loses.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Thanks for the report. I've fixed this in the next update so that larger projects have less chance of a critical research success or failure. Over the longer research lifetime of these larger projects, this should minimize the problems you were seeing.

Thanks
Elliot

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”