Mood Literature

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

buncheesy

Mood Literature

Post by buncheesy »

Anybody reading any space opera thats firing their Distant Worlds gameplay imagination?

I am reading Peter Hamilton's Nights Dawn Trilogy - am up to the third massive tome. Ignoring the dead rising and possessing the living, the living "bitek" technology and a fairly purile focus (in the first 500 pages of the first book particularly) on sexuality, these books have fantastic descriptions of space travel, colonization, and above all space warfare.

I love the feeling in Distant Worlds that habitable plants are tiny pinpricks in a vast empty panorama of space and that combat involves warping over huge interstellar expanses and jumping back out in a game of cat and mouse.

I have read all of Iain Banks Sci-Fi and all of Alastair Reynolds. These also have great descriptions of space travel and combat. (off the top of my head "Consider Phlebas" has a great opening spoof on extreme tek space combat from the perspective of a hyperintelligent space ship.

Anybody get any further reading suggestions/experiences?
Darkspire

RE: Mood Literature

Post by Darkspire »

You could always try Ayreon - Universal Migrator - Part 1: The Dream Sequencer while your reading them, this is a complete sci-fi story spread over over four or more albums, needs headphones to get the full effect.

Darkspire
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Oooo... Space Opera...

Modern:
Ian Douglas - Star Carrier Series (High Tech Space Warfare)
Ryk Brown - Frontiers Saga (Medium Tech Space Warfare)
Doug Dandridge - Exodus series (As an ancient foe returns, Humans face enemies in all directions, especially within)
Evan Currie - "Warrior Wings" & "Odyssey One" both series are excellent
David Weber & Steven White - Starfire series (Based on the old Starfire space combat tabletop game)

Classic:
E.E. 'Doc' Smith - Lensman series
E.E. 'Doc' Smith - Skylark series
John W. Campbell - Arcot, Morey and Wade series

Just for a starter

edit: LOL I keep thinking of new series that just HAVE to be included [:'(]
OlegHasky

Post by OlegHasky »

Most severely enshrined type of touch for such game.:)
(is that of a molecule active, from/with infinite background, that is precolating, and diffusing with template:))

Lllike the list. Nd would like to add also rough-technical-physics direction, Quantum behaviours etc, wich as noticed have enriching properties in Terms of "awakening" such usually down-on the "wow" list Basics like strategic resources for examp. -boosting them literally to "life":))
Time Elapsed.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

The 'Star Carrier' series deals with humanity approaching the Singularity via GRIN (Genetic, Robotic, Informational, Nanotechnology) technologies and the consequences thereof. IF I understand your post properly.

Books such as the "Chaos Quarter" and "Nebula Vigilante" deal with artificial or redesigned life. Others, like the 'Koban' series deal with the differences of an atechnic species with genetic plans hundreds of generation long, coming in contact with a technic species that does the same adaptations in a few direct generations.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

buncheesy

Post by buncheesy »

Darkspire your suggestion was left of centre. Had a quick listen. will give it more attention

Checked out the Ian Douglas books. Looked worth a read. Picked up on Heinlen's Starship Trooper which I have not read but may like (first movie was great! The others rubbish)?

What about Orson Scott Card's books - which I know nothing about but aren't they combat heavy?

Anyways back to conquering the Universe!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Lllike the list. Nd would like to add also rough-technical-physics direction, Quantum behaviours etc, wich as noticed have enriching properties in Terms of "awakening" such usually down-on the "wow" list Basics like strategic resources for examp. -boosting them literally to "life":))

I can code to a degree, happy modding bits and pieces and am happy to attempt most tech bits but I am blonde, large and that line really lost me, hence I jetted off to a mellow place to go contemplate the meaning of life [:D]

Darkspire
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

I can code to a degree, happy modding bits and pieces and am happy to attempt most tech bits but I am blonde, large and that line really lost me, hence I jetted off to a mellow place to go contemplate the meaning of life [:D]

Darkspire
Sadly, to me that was almost in the clear... LOL
Over the Summer I was using Google/Bing/Babelfish to attempt to translate Korean documents to English for the MMO ArcheAge. The "translations" are often more confusing than the Hangul raw text. Oh and I read almost NO Hangul.

ie this:
One man in the ancient continent, Tampere, shape or species such as dwarf had
won races of the continent for Delphi Oxnard capital and harmony, without the feuding all got on the birth of the world In the meantime where 'the state of the world' was increased interest in, won two continents because potassium content epee 'in the state of the world "towards the first expedition 12 people have ...
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

One man in the ancient continent, Tampere, shape or species such as dwarf had
won races of the continent for Delphi Oxnard capital and harmony, without the feuding all got on the birth of the world In the meantime where 'the state of the world' was increased interest in, won two continents because potassium content epee 'in the state of the world "towards the first expedition 12 people have ...

Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Recommend Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained also by Peter Hamilton

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... 5-false%5D

Has my list of best science fiction up to 1986, the year I started computer gaming and just about quit reading books...

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... Wt20E_IUsJ

Has my 1986 list of science fiction books I thought worth reading, including a few fantasy.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

I agree with much/most of your list, but had limited my response to what I felt was closer to the specified 'Space Opera' genre.

One addition that does fall into or close would be 'Glen Cook' and his "Starfisher" series. 'Shadowline', 'Starfishers', 'Stars End', 'Passage at arms' if I recall the names and order correctly.

BTW, if you read fantasy, an excellent but very dark military fantasy would be Glen Cooks "Black Company" series, or Steven Erickson and his "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”