which is best and why?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

garymiboy

which is best and why?

Post by garymiboy »

Hi,guys...ive just seen that harpoon ultimate edition is out... which is the best game and why should i buy one over the other if you know what i mean?

either harpoon or command air/naval?
Rosseau

RE: which is best and why?

Post by Rosseau »

HUCE and ANW obviously can't compare to CMANO. I am sorry I spent my money on the first two, but that was years ago, and didn't know Red Pill would actually arrive. Not putting down the Harpoon community. In fact, I wish someone would give me a reason to keep playing ANW. I guess the huge number of scenarios...

Anyway, CMANO all the way [:)]
SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

I am sorry I spent my money on the first two

I am not. While CMANO in many eyes is the physical and spiritual successor to HUCE and ANW, they will always be dear to my heart. HCE in particular. They got a LOT of play from me in their time and both remain on my hard drive, if for no other reason than the sentimental one.

Never forget the past.
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I would probably honestly say that Harpoon is in some ways "further along the track" toward a complete project. Having said that, however, that is after years of developing, and it is also probably as far along that track, as it will ever be... while Command is a just released product, but is already very close to Harpoon in most categories, and is actually ahead in others, and on top of that, has the potential to be far better as it "grows into" itself. Basically to use a baseball type analogy... Harpoon I see as the old veteran, you know what you can expect, it (for the most part) has the kinks long ago worked out... while CMANO appears to me to be the all star rookie, an entire career ahead of him, showing flashes of brilliance that the veteran can no longer give...and yes, some rookie mistakes, but what a career in front!
garymiboy

Post by garymiboy »

mmm still no wiser... the way i look at it is...Harpoon is a lot cheaper to buy. but surely CMANO is more "advanced" or up to date ? i dont want to be going for the wrong one should i decide to buy of course !!
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Buy CMANO...it will have long legs and be the best bet for the future....
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Then buy both. [:)]

garymiboy

Post by garymiboy »

haha not with uk taxes on top...extra 20% :( thats why id like to know the differences in the games
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Harpoon will almost always be where it is today... and yes, that includes cheaper, but will not be expanded I would bet. CMANO is more pricey, has a few issues that come with any new project, but I would bet the ranch that by this time next year, CMANO will be outpacing Harpoon in every category. Personally I own both. I know the guys who have poured their souls into CMANO for years now. They all started out as Harpoon fans, and ended up creating CMANO to fill in gaps that they wished harpoon could/would do... so yes, this is definitely my pick of the winning horse. It will end up having everything Harpoon has, ++++.
frpandore@free.fr

Post by frpandore@free.fr »

I fully agree with navwarcol.
Have to say that Harpoon user interface is a bit dated and far more complex than CMANO
Eve ate the apple...
and Pandore opened the box...
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Not sure what you want people to tell you. You going to get their personal preferences. harpoon is older so therefore, it is further developed and has more scenarios. command is up to date which means better graphics and more potential.
garymiboy

Post by garymiboy »

ok thnx guys.thats sort of putting things in perspective. looks like CMANO is the one i need to be going for ??

i didnt want to be getting the wrong one and regretting it later :S
Lffvet2

Post by Lffvet2 »

Yes, I don't think you will regret it. each scenario seems to have loads to look into, and an amazing amount of detail.

There also seem to be a lot of scenario designers and modders out there (who are likely to have access to all of the Harpoon scenarios...for conversion...hopefully)
Juramentado

Post by Juramentado »

As an end-user, both are fun. From a scenario-writer perspective, CMANO is head and shoulders above both HCE and HUCE. I had to jump serious hoops to get a 16-bit VM environment to get HCE editor working under Windows 7 and it still didn't do everything that I wanted it to do. The baseball analogy is spot on. CMANO is the brilliant new rookie that's got an interesting road ahead of it. What I really like is the relative ease of creating scenarios that can do pretty sophisticated things that HCE couldn't do. The real challenge is the DB. As time goes on, the DEV team will hopefully have squashed major 1.0 release bugs (and they're whacking them daily! [:D] ) and we can get down to fine-tuning things inside the interface, QA'ing the DB and getting more platforms imported. Then focus on the big improvements post 1.0 like Conditional Events. So perhaps not very useful to the OP, but there you go. I made the investment in both, but CMANO is the fun one that's getting a lot of input time when I'm on my gaming box.
Yankee66

Post by Yankee66 »

ORIGINAL: garymiboy

ok thnx guys.thats sort of putting things in perspective. looks like CMANO is the one i need to be going for ??

i didnt want to be getting the wrong one and regretting it later :S
There is not really a "wrong" one, as was already pointed out.

CMANO is, for me, easier to control, better looking, up to date in terms of windows compatibility, and the scenario editor is a LOT of fun to play around with.

If you aim for a purchase with no post-payment regrets, lots of fun and a tremendous potential under the hood of an easy to use interface, get CMANO. [:)]
garymiboy

Post by garymiboy »

ok guys,

took the plunge and bought CMANO.[;)]..just waiting for support to send me the game file...as plimus download links never work on my pc...[:@]
Yankee66

Post by Yankee66 »

took the plunge and bought CMANO
Good call. [:)]

Welcome to the community, Gary.
Don't hesitate to ask questions whenever they come up. There's always someone around to help you.
garymiboy

Post by garymiboy »

Thanks yankee thats one good thing about matrix forums..full of helpful people.always happy to help out.[:)]
just waiting for support to get back to me about downloading it now
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have just about every piece of software from the Harpoon franchise ever released, right from the Amiga days. Now if you add up all the Battle sets ANW Admirals Editions etc etc etc and then compare prices with Command, well in my view Command is cheap.
Formerly Goodwood

JRyan

Post by JRyan »

ORIGINAL: BASB

I have just about every piece of software from the Harpoon franchise ever released, right from the Amiga days. Now if you add up all the Battle sets ANW Admirals Editions etc etc etc and then compare prices with Command, well in my view Command is cheap.

Very Good Point...and how many hours spent playing it?
But By Grace Go I.......

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”