What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

DampSquib

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by DampSquib »

2 on the go
A RUMOR OF WAR - Philip Caputo.
& THE PROUD BASTARDS - E.Michael Helms.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Tolstoi's War & Peace
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes To War - Max Hastings
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
nate25

Post by nate25 »

Just picked up -

The Pacific Campaign
The U.S.-Japanese naval War 1941-45
Dan van der Vat

The Atlantic Campaign by the same author was good, so I'm expecting good things here as well.
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Orm

Post by Orm »

Hunters from the sky : the German parachute corps, 1940-1945 - Charles Whiting
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Barbarossa: The Russian-German Conflict 1941-45 Alan Clark

Attachments
51RnSwUuvKL__SL160_.jpg
51RnSwUuvKL__SL160_.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 152 times
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Ian Watson - Space Marine. What happens when an actual sci-fi writer meets Warhammer 40000k.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Ian Watson - Space Marine. What happens when an actual sci-fi writer meets Warhammer 40000k.
Inquisitor and Harlequin are pretty damn good too.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I'm currently reading The Black Effect by Harvey Black. Part 2 of his World War III series,set in 1984. Mainly told from the British side.Author used be part of the BRIXMIS intelligence-gathering unit so it's fairly authentic.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Inquisitor and Harlequin are pretty damn good too.
True. I have them in the Inquisition Wars omnibus. Together with Space Marine they are my favourite Wh40k novels, and some of my favourite science-fantasy novels in general.
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Been rereading The Fall of Berlin by Anthony Read and David Fisher. Excellent but LONG read. There's no better book though for the study on Hitler's very expensive funeral arrangements.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Currently making my around the Richard Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell, just about to finish Sharpes Gold.

Great stuff

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes To War - Max Hastings
warspite1

Folks - this is proving to be a goooooooooooood book [8D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Can anyone recommend any good books on the 30 years war? I have a feeling AGEOD will be making a game based on that conflict soon, and the 30 years war is one of those European squabbles I know next to nothing about. Something about a guy's ear... something about inbred royal houses getting mad over costume changes... who knows. I don't. Books resolve that. Any suggestions?
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson is what I'm reading at the moment.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Tear Down the Wall!!!
The Alabama Supreme Court May Collapse Obama’s House Of Cards
What’s been the biggest obstacle in challenging Obama’s eligibility in court? It’s been finding a judge who isn’t afraid to allow the merits of the case against Obama to be argued in court. The Alabama Supreme Court might just be different. In an earlier case before the Alabama Supremes, Associate Judge Tom Parker stated that “McInnish has attached certain documentation (Joe Arpaio’s investigation) to his mandamus petition, which, if presented to the appropriate forum as part of a proper evidentiary presentation, would raise serious questions about the authenticity of both the ‘short form’ and ‘long form’ birth certificates of President Barack Hussein Obama that have been made public.”

Here, we have a judge who actually recognizes that the fake birth certificates are a serious issue and should be addressed. Now we have a new case before the Alabama Supreme Court. This case is McInnish/Goode v. Beth Chapman (SOS). It is being handled by famous attorney Larry Klayman. Also, it will be the first and only civil case in which Joe Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse is personally involved. Chief investigator for Arpaio Mike Zullo has written a 200 point affidavit to this court and has agreed to testify in person. Zullo will show the court that the “picture” of the long form birth certificate is a 100% digitally created fake.

Now comes even better news. In the 2012 elections, Alabama elected Judge Roy Moore as the Chief Justice of her Supreme Court. In an earlier interview concerning the case against Terry Lakin, Justice Moore stated that he not only thought that Lt. Col Lakin had a right to question Obama’s eligibility, but had a duty to do so.

He also said that he has seen no documentary evidence that Obama is a natural born citizen, and in fact hasn’t seen anything that even proves he is a citizen of the US. Judge Roy Moore is a staunch Constitutionalist who declares that the Constitution is the “law of the land” and cannot be changed by politics. He’s a tough judge.

I’ve followed most of the eligibility cases, and I’ve noticed a very common occurrence. Even in those cases in which the judge appears to follow the law, there seems always to be a sudden and abrupt change. As in the Georgia case before Judge Michael Malihi, the case was pretty well decided by a default judgment against Obama when Malihi abruptly dismissed the case. This was done even though Obama’s attorneys refused to show up in court.

When you read Judge Malihi’s decision and compare it to his earlier denial of motion to dismiss, it’s as if they were written by two different people. Could it be that Judge Malihi got a visit? And from whom? And who wrote the decision? I don’t see this happening to Judge Roy Moore and the Alabama Supreme Court. I don’t think they can be intimidated. There is no timeline for the court to rule on this case, so we wait to see what happens. This could be monumental.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/alabam ... 0jqREjL.99
— Winston Churchill
Mrs Darwin

Post by Mrs Darwin »

I just finished Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and am about halfway through Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online by Chris Brogan. The former was far more entertaining than the latter.
Cap'n Darwin's Lovely, Brilliant, Talented Wife
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

ALL WARS ARE BANKERS' WARS!
"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service as a member of our country's most agile military force -- the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent more of my time being a high--class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. "I suspected I was just a part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of the higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service. Thus I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-12. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that the Standard Oil went its way unmolested. During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals and promotion. Looking back on it, I feel I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three city districts. I operated on three continents." -- General Smedley Butler, former US Marine Corps Commandant,1935

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICL ... erwars.php

Attachments
FED.RESERVE.PONZI2.jpg
FED.RESERVE.PONZI2.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 152 times
— Winston Churchill

Return to “General Discussion”