First Impressions

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Great_Ajax

RE: First Impressions

Post by Great_Ajax »

I have to say that I am very impressed with the game. There are many so options and details that I did not expect. Being an artilleryman by trade, I really appreciate the different bombardment and ammunition types. It took me several retries in a "A Time to Dance" to figure out how to stop my tank companies from defaulting to screen orders and always backing up. I finally (by reading the manual) figured out that assault orders cleared that up.

My first real battle in "A Time to Dance" was a great and tense battle complete with destroying at least a Soviet tank battalion NW of Rodelmaier followed by defeating a Soviet Motorized Rifle Regiment pushing through Heusreu. I had lost the city initially but then pushed them back out with a final push from the Bradley Cavalry Troop. I was thinking that the game was in the bag when elements of a Soviet Tank Regiment was detected by my scouts south of Bad Neustadt where I had no defenses. D Co. Armor had to be quickly re-routed from the mop up around Heustreu to devastating effect. I lost more vehicles in this last engagement than the first 80% of the battle. Ended up with a contested result. Had a great time and look forward to playing some more. Well done guys!

Trey
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
freightweezul

Post by freightweezul »

Those are excellent! Exactly what I wanted. Good job mate.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The "Shoot and Scoot" maneuver for artillery is one of the innovative functions of the game as well. With enemy artillery hunting your HQ's and artillery units they will automatically "Shoot and Scoot" to save themselves after completing a fire mission.

This was added because the gamer couldn't get to them quick enough to save them from counter battery fire otherwise.

Rob is a mastermind!! [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

I finished the Ate Up scenario, as US, with a disappointing 21% rating. I thought I'd take up positions on the high ground, and rain destruction on the poor infantry in the river valley. Well, I was able to pound them well enough, even killing their regimental commander, but my real mission, to retake the bridges, proved more problematic. I waited too long to start my attack, which was spearheaded from the south by the armor. It took the southern bridge, but lost it on the last minute of the last cycle. The Soviet desantniki turned out to be really tough S.O.B.s, and they wouldn't give up. So even though I took the northern bridge and held it, the center proved too much and I never did find and kill their damn D-30 arty support. My infantry didn't fair nearly as well as theirs, either.

Actually using M113-carried infantry well seems to be tricky, to say the least.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Ate Up is tough to beat.

Did I mention that all the scenarios are tough to beat? [:D]

The US with tanks against airmobile infantry...what could be easier than that? [&:]

Good Hunting.

MR

CptHowdy

Post by CptHowdy »

finished tutorial. 85% success. really like that the artillery, air, mortars etc.. pick targets on their own if you have that option enabled. suggestion for more immersion would be radio calls from various units such as we are taking heavy fire or casualties or under fire, repositioning. maybe even have a subordinate pull you aside and tell you that you have your head in your ass[X(] not sure how realistic that is as I have never been in combat or around a brigade/division commander HQ
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

CptHowdy,

FPG did have a handful of voice messages in the game. Our issue this go was no real budget to get voice talent. To be right they would need to be in the correct national voice. Plus you can't do voice for everything so what is important to "say". It is something we may be able to add back in in future releases/updates but it has be something that really adds to what is there now to justify the additional time and money.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
CptHowdy

Post by CptHowdy »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

CptHowdy,

FPG did have a handful of voice messages in the game. Our issue this go was no real budget to get voice talent. To be right they would need to be in the correct national voice. Plus you can't do voice for everything so what is important to "say". It is something we may be able to add back in in future releases/updates but it has be something that really adds to what is there now to justify the additional time and money.
nah don't need be voice. when you get those radio pop-ups during turn resolution that tell you when a unit becomes available or what the weather is. all text based and sometimes I cant play with sounds turned on anyway so no need for voice.
Panta_slith

Post by Panta_slith »

I already started the first campaign and am forced to say...this game is far superior to the original FPG! the shoot and scoot scripts are very good and the AI units maneuver very well. The scenarios are consistent and challenging, what else can I say? Maybe I will change the maps a bit, they are OK, but there is always room for some improvement. I used to play TacOps, in particular a large Fulda map scenario, on real maps adapted by a group of amateurs like myself using a special mapping tool privately furnished by Major H on that purpose.
This is a great game! [&o]
Panta Astiazarán
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Which campaign are you trying? They are VASTLY different. [8D]

Good Hunting.

MR

Panta_slith

Post by Panta_slith »

Hell on Wheels, I guess it is the name.
Panta Astiazarán
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Yup, that's the name.

Have fun Hunting Bears! [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR

AlexanderMaltsev

Post by AlexanderMaltsev »

I enjoy this game. It looks like a dream [:)]
Thank you very much!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

sigh...looks like I'm going to need to pick this one up, although I won't have time to play it.

Matrix cut us poor slobs a break and dial back the new games a bit, OK?
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

I agree with others... this new engine will become a long-lasting classic along the PzC model.

Great stuff...[:)]

What does the engine need most? Live internet play, head 2 head. PBEM does not do it for me too... slow.. [;)].

All the best,
Kip.

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

PBEM is nice but internet PvP would be fantastic with the WEGO engine.
Come on guys !
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Head to head via hot seat is in the game now. LAN play in on our wish list. Requires a fair amount of work to deal with the asynchronous command structure.

benpark

Post by benpark »

I've been playing for a bit over the last few days- my impression is absolutely positive. I can't remember a game since HTTR/ Command Ops where the AI was so believable on the attack at this scale. I knew the scenarios would be top notch (by Mad Russian), but I didn't know what to expect as far as the improvements over the previous game in the series. It is vastly improved (and I liked the original). The game is fantastic, and fills a needed slot- WEGO operational level warfare.

Congratulations on the amazing work.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks benpark.

We are already hard at work on the few minor bugs that cropped up and also looking at user improvement suggestions. We will be updating the forums later this week with a preliminary fix/improvements list.

swetiger

Post by swetiger »

Good job! Played FPG a lot. Autumn will not be so boring anymore.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war (Vegetius)

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”