Training CV capable units

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

linrom

Training CV capable units

Post by linrom »

Is it possible to train Carrier Capable units that are not Carrier Trained by stationing them on a carrier?

To my surprise, I was able to transfer a land unit of Claudes to CV Tayio in Kure. These units are set to 100% train.

Are Carrier Trained units hardwired and training will not make them any more Carrier Trained than units flying out of land base? Conversely is any pilot transferred to a Carrier Trained Unit immediately 100% Carrier Trained?
PaxMondo

RE: Training CV capable units

Post by PaxMondo »

takes about 90 days on board to convert them to carrier trained from carrier capable. During that time they will suffer higher ops losses on all mission types except training.
Pax
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

A carrier-capable unit will turn into a carrier-trained unit if you just leave it on a CV long enough, regardless of its mission. (60 days or 90 days I believe, but I forget which.) As to your second question, it's the unit which has (or does not have) the carrier-trained designation, so any pilots you place in that unit will automatically benefit from it - no need for additional training.

(Edit: Pax was faster than me. Side note: I wouldn't worry about the additional Ops losses for Carrier-capable vs Carrier-trained. The difference is minimal (though it probably shouldn't be.)
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

In truth it is the plane's capability that determines if the unit can be trained on a CV. The aircraft has to be "carrier capable" and then transferred to a CV or CVL. I believe it is 90 days, but the days don't have to be consecutive. Interestingly if you reequip the unit with NON-carrier capable aircraft, the unit will loose it's trained status.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Squadrons can be carrier capable even if they've been assigned non-carrier capable aircraft. It just means that their upgrade path or even standard assignment would be with carrier capable aircraft, but some squadrons can switch back and forth. The squadron requires 90 days aboard a carrier to become "carrier trained" and will remain so regardless of what aircraft are assigned to them or whether they continue to be aboard a carrier. All "carrier-trained" appears to mean effectively is that the ops losses will be less. Any pilots (even rookies) in any carrier capable squadrons with carrier capable aircraft can operate off any non-float plane carrier. Whether or not to deploy non-carrier trained squadrons on carriers that may end up in contact with the enemy depends usually on other exigencies than their training status. If the squadron is not carrier trained but you need them on your carrier when you're about to go into battle, that overrides any concerns about their training or the operational losses that will result from their deployment in non training missions. Relax a little and commit them if the circumstances require it.

I reread that after posting and found it a little bit hard to follow, but then could not think of improvements. If you can leave a carrier in port for indefinite periods for training squadrons to become carrier trained, consider doing it. If you cannot, don't waste much time worrying about it. Do what you must, and do it rapidly, quickly, in a hurry, with alacrity, fast and so forth.

msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: linrom

Conversely is any pilot transferred to a Carrier Trained Unit immediately 100% Carrier Trained?

The "carrier trained" status applies to the squadron, not the pilots. Any pilot transferred to a carrier trained squadron is carrier trained. You could transfer all the pilots in a carrier trained squadron to a non carrier trained land based squadron, and vice versa, and the carrier trained squadron remains carrier trained and the non carrier trained squadron remains non carrier trained.
-- Mark Sieving
Banzan

Post by Banzan »

One important thing that is easy to oversee: Non-Carrier trained untits can't get replacments while on carriers. [;)]

Edit: Moving a unit of a carrier don't reset the already gained "training days". The counter will continue once back on a CV.

This is raising a new question: If a unit gets withdrawn and comes back later, i guess counter will be reset (as many units are coming back as a new unit in the editor)? But will the new unit be carrier trained, or will that be lost also?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”