What kind of terrain type is Atoll?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

What kind of terrain type is Atoll?

Post by Yaab »

There is a table 8.3.1 on page 189 in the manual showing terrain types and their respective defense bonuses, but Atoll terrain type is not included in the table. When I press "1" during game, I can see Atl terrain type for many small islands in the Pacific, but I don't know if such terrain is treated as clear/desert (x 1 defense bonus) or rough (x 2 defense bonus). Can anyone confirm defense bonus value for Atoll hexes?

1EyedJacks

RE: What kind of terrain type is Atoll?

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Terrain bonus - that's a good question - I've never really thought of it until now. Attacking an atoll forces a shock attack for the invading force and if you don't have enough shipping to get all of your troops plus supplies on the ground in a single turn you get spanked. I recently lost a division through poor planning on my part. And apparently there is a special combat formula just for atolls... Defensively I think all you will get is whatever forts you've built...

From the manual - Section 8.4:
In addition, combat taking place on atolls was more intense than in any other location due to
their small size. Units that do not own the base on the atoll being invaded (i.e., American forces
invading a Japanese-held atoll) automatically launch a Shock Attack, which usually means
higher casualties for the attacker. In addition to the Shock Attack, the combat formulas will
make combat on an atoll more costly in casualties to both sides than in other hexes.
TTFN,

Mike
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

There is a table 8.3.1 on page 189 in the manual showing terrain types and their respective defense bonuses, but Atoll terrain type is not included in the table. When I press "1" during game, I can see Atl terrain type for many small islands in the Pacific, but I don't know if such terrain is treated as clear/desert (x 1 defense bonus) or rough (x 2 defense bonus). Can anyone confirm defense bonus value for Atoll hexes?

That table is primarily for movement factors and I don't know of any atolls in the game where you can move. But you have a good point about the defense factors.

I did a search and can't find anywhere this number has ever been disclosed. There IS a lot of confusion about shock attacks on atolls versus very small and small islands. A shock attack is auto-made on a size 1 or 2 AND all atoll terrain types; "atoll" does not describe island size. There are Very Large islands in the game which are also atolls. (Christmas Island)

Given the description in the manual about combat on atolls being extra- fierce I'd guess the defense modifier isn't '1'. But who knows? This kind of micro-math doesn't help much in playing. Atolls are hard to take. You will auto-shock. Bring a lot of stuff and prep well.
The Moose
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

You should assume that the Atoll is the most difficult invasion terrain you will face in the game. 6K and 30K sized atolls well defended are virtually impregnable except by siege, so do your homework carefully before invading such an island. Always consider bypassing such obstacles. And if you have to invade, take to serious preparation.
Andy M

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”