España: 1936 Impressions

Ageod’s upcoming strategy game España: 1936 covers the entire Spanish Civil War from 1936-1939. With more than 200 regions, cities, roads, weapons factories, weather types, factions and sub-factions it is one of the few games to ever examine the period.
Templer_12

España: 1936 Impressions

Post by Templer_12 »

España: 1936 impressions.

I have yet to read too less impressions for the game.
No review found until now - No game video found.

España: 1936 - How is it? Your impressions please?
kvob

RE: España: 1936 Impressions

Post by kvob »

I like it. It's much what you would expect from AGEOD. My only real criticism is that there is only one scenario (Fall Of The North) and the campaign game. I usually don't play the grand campaigns because I find them too overwhelming and just stick to the smaller scenarios. I don't know a lot about the Spanish Civil War and perhaps there is not a lot of scope for shorter scenarios.

I think I'm going to have to tackle the full campaign and hope that it's not too overwhelming for me.[X(]
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

I think it's pretty standard Ageod fare. Same engine, different setting to their many other games.

Fun for me, I like the setting though. I don't think the main scenario, the whole war, is too big. If anything it might be too small, but then the Spanish Civil War was not on the scale of WW2 or the Russian Revolution or whatever. Personally I think it's just right.

If I have a gripe it's that there's not enough of the political aspects in what was an extremely political war. The Republicans were fighting each other almost as much as they fought the Nationalists at some times, and the Nationalists had their own divisions as well which could have come to more than they actually did. That doesn't seem to be modelled really, there are subfactions but thats about it. International diplomacy isn't really there either. That said, a lot of this stuff is covered by the decision system which lets you buy foreign bombers and what have you, I just would've liked more in that vein I think.

The transition from militias to the Popular Army is in there though for the Republicans, and also the top notch Moroccan regulares the Nationalists used decisively in the early war are in there. In general it seems to play out broadly mimicking history as a result.

Personally, I'm happy with my purchase. It's the only Ageod game with this engine I own though, I have played demos of some of their other games but thats it. If I already owned a bunch of them maybe it would have less appeal.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Original:

If I have a gripe it's that there's not enough of the political aspects in what was an extremely political war. The Republicans were fighting each other almost as much as they fought the Nationalists at some times, and the Nationalists had their own divisions as well which could have come to more than they actually did. That doesn't seem to be modelled really, there are subfactions but thats about it. International diplomacy isn't really there either. That said, a lot of this stuff is covered by the decision system which lets you buy foreign bombers and what have you, I just would've liked more in that vein I think.

The transition from militias to the Popular Army is in there though for the Republicans, and also the top notch Moroccan regulares the Nationalists used decisively in the early war are in there. In general it seems to play out broadly mimicking history as a result.

EuBanana -

Very much agree with your assessment regarding the political aspects of the war. Whether Red or White (Nationalist), there were multiple factions (the Carlists and the POUM come to mind) who were fighting a "war within a war" amongst each other. I do hope that more political events can be modeled and added in the future.

I am very pleased with Espana, and own a number of other AGEOD games. Pride of Nations is one of my favorites (although that may change in the near future)! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... <grin>

Also:

My sincere appreciation to all of you who recommended Antony Beevor's "The War in Spain". Usually I will read two books at once (depending on my location in my home); but currently War in Spain has me thoroughly hooked. I can't seem to put it down; and it gives me a much greater depth of understanding of what the game represents.

As I am not as well read on this subject, I will take the time to read through other books on the Spanish Civil War. There are two on the shelf that have been waiting for close to 20 years...

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I am more interested in the military campaign and battles than the political background. So I was leaning toward the 1,000 page The Spanish Civil War: Revised Edition by Hugh Thomas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, Espana needs to be fleshed out a bit, so I hope it sells enough. The RUS drang21 scenario is WitE, so Espana is refreshing in its quick turn resolution. But as for best strategy for the REPS, I am winging it right now.

Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Wargamer has a good one up today.

Not allowed to post link for some reason...
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Leibst

Post by Leibst »

i'm working in a new patch to solve some of the issues and to make cheaper the Reps options and some Regional Decisions.
Designer of AGEOD & HQ English Civil War, Thirty Years War and España:1936
Designer of Battles For Spain and Libertad o Muerte!
https://hqwargames.com
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

This is sort of an Ageod indie game, but it is $30. I feel it needs a little more love and publicity for it to succeed. TBH, it doesn't nearly compare to RUS. The campaign area is small and options more limited. I realize it was a one-man project, but the price of this game was not cheap. [:)]

Return to “España: 1936”