AIM-7P Sparrow III is running blind for more than 5 sec... self-destructing.

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Alex170g

AIM-7P Sparrow III is running blind for more than 5 sec... self-destructing.

Post by Alex170g »

Hi..

Just reporting this, I don’t know if this is a bug.

When Spanish F-18 fires AIM-7, I can read the next sentence and missiles are wipe out from the screen.

“AIM-7P Sparrow III is running blind for more than 5 sec... self-destructing.”

I start the game normally, and every thing functions well, even AIM-7 destroy and aircraft…then I save…When I re-start the saved game AIM-7 will never function again. did twice with same results, and checked that Spanish Hornets have their radars on.

Playing with Toshiba NB520 notebook, Intel Atom dual core 1.6Ghz…the only limitation is than I can’t speed up over one minute….If I select 5 min or 30 min, the time in the black box adjacent to the cursor pass like 1 minute per second aprox.

Load the attached .save file and let the game go, in a few simulated minutes you will se how Spanish missiles are self-destructing

Thank you for your help.
Alex170g

RE: AIM-7P Sparrow III is running blind for more than 5 sec... self-destructing.

Post by Alex170g »

the file did't upload the first time...here it is.
Attachments
AAMrunsb..destruct.zip
(407.8 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
TonyAAA

RE: AIM-7P Sparrow III is running blind for more than 5 sec... self-destructing.

Post by TonyAAA »

Tried your save out and yes, the Sparrows self destructed shortly after launch.

No idea if it's a bug or not but I did notice:

The F-18s were being jammed like crazy and Sparrows aren't fire and forget--they require guidance to the target.
If they lose this data link/guidance that could be why they self destruct.

Just an idea but if that's the case try to force the F-18s to hold fire until they're a lot closer (say 10-12 miles) to try to burn through the jamming.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Your SARH-launching aircraft need to hold contact with the target.
Alex170g

Post by Alex170g »

Yes, closing to within ten nautical miles solved the problem.

so, two other problems are generated.

1st.- knowing what each sensor from an individual unit is detecting is crucial, and a must have, in this case the attacking planes are dedected by other units/methods, but due to jam attackers cannot track them. this was requested on other post in this forum.

2st. The AI should be smart enought to know that, if a unit cannot track/paint a target, it should not fire at that target, as it will be a waste of resources/missiles.

Thanks
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Alex170g
2st. The AI should be smart enought to know that, if a unit cannot track/paint a target, it should not fire at that target, as it will be a waste of resources/missiles.

That check actually exists in the pre-fire pipeline. We'll have to see if it's overriden by some edge case or for some reason the missile loses SARH illumination after the launch.

Thanks.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”