Some "Captain Phillips" movie info...

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Primarchx

Some "Captain Phillips" movie info...

Post by Primarchx »

The Halyburton, an Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate that was involved in the actual rescue four years ago, plays itself in the movie. The other ships were recast. The Wasp, an amphibious assault ship, was chosen to play the Boxer, the actual ship that was part of the Navy's anti-piracy task force.

The Truxtun, a guided missile destroyer, was cast as the Bainbridge, one of two ships, along with the Halyburton, that trailed the pirates who abducted Phillips.
$trummer

RE: Some "Captain Phillips" movie info...

Post by $trummer »

Did you see Anderson Cooper's piece about the movie, Primarchx? Apparently Capt. Phillips was greatly disliked by his crew because he was dictatorial and reckless. He had received thirteen emails from a private security contractor hired by the shipping company advising all vessels to avoid the route that took him so close to the pirates' known AO. His crew is now collectively suing the captain for recklessly placing their lives in danger. And they are scornful of the notion -- not explicitly promoted by Phillips, to be fair -- that he volunteered to go into the lifeboat with the fleeing pirates in order to save their lives. They do not consider him any kind of hero. I'm still going to see the movie. None of us knows how he would react under such extreme stress and it seems to me that Captain Phillips did okay. And if a movie NOT based on verifiable fact had three SEALs making three kills with three shots from a heaving ship against targets in another heaving ship 400 yards away, I'd have called bulllshit. Amazing.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Very interesting. I hadn't heard that!
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Is this the film with tom hanks?
AKA - Smudge
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Yes.
ORIGINAL: Blighty56

Is this the film with tom hanks?

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”