Theater Leaders

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

steamboateng

Theater Leaders

Post by steamboateng »

Is it worth the 150 PP to replace Percival in Singers? Should I do this ASAP?
Does replacing Kimmel with Nimitz make much of a difference at PH?
Toro12

RE: Theater Leaders

Post by Toro12 »

I have never replaced Kimmel. Not worth the PPs to me. Generally, the only leaders I ever replace are: air units, task forces (combat, invasion), and front-line HQs.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

Is it worth the 150 PP to replace Percival in Singers? Should I do this ASAP?
Does replacing Kimmel with Nimitz make much of a difference at PH?

It depends what you're planning to do at Singers. In some cases it's worth it.

I put Nimitz in the job for role playing reasons.
The Moose
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I for one have a LOT LOT LOT better uses for those political points... did I say "LOTS"? Hal
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

In every game I have played, Nimitz gets the job in 1942 anyways. I never paid attention, so I never really notice a date, but it has happened. To me, anyways.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I for one have a LOT LOT LOT better uses for those political points... did I say "LOTS"? Hal

Opinions vary. In my AAR you can find evidence that dumping Perceval bought me six weeks to two months extra time at Singers, occupying 100,000+ Japanese troops. A top CO with great Admin skills really pulls in replacements.

Nimitz is personal taste. I like having Chester guarding the back door.
The Moose
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

I'm playing Allies....does Nimitz got the job via the AI! Is That what your saying?
Re Percival.......very bad stats! My logic, assuming a game against the IJ AI and following a more or less 'historical' play; and not reinforcing Singers (they go to northern India for a future Burma campaign), I wish to attrit the IJA in Malaya and the DEI. Does it follow that a leader in Singapore with higher 'Leadership' and 'Inspiration' would not only inflict higher casualties via the individual brigades and divisions, but they will suffer less as well as recover more quickly? In other words, doesn't he apply a (hopefully) positive affect across his command within his influence range. I would think that across a span of time, say two months, his influence would be significant. But then, I'm not all that familiar with game mechanics.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You need Admin skill to recover more quickly.

Inspiration is higher adjusted AV in assaults. I'm not sure it means anything when defending, but it might? And the Land skill is probably in there somewhere.

Leadership I'm not sure on, but probably only affects XP gain as it does for pilots/ship crews. It would fit the pattern, anyway.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Also the commander of the III Indian Corps HQ has somewhat poor Land skill, as far as I remember.
spence

Post by spence »

If Nimitz takes over via the game system that is certainly something to remember as an Allied Player.

I have never seen a Japanese Player in PBEM advocate that First Turn Surprise be turned OFF. Only a few seem to tried anything other than blowing the US Pacific Fleet to smithereens in Pearl Harbor. The PP cost to replace Kimmel seems completely unrealistic in that context. In fact, it seems to me that in the context of a surprise attack that is on average 3 times as effective as the real one at PH the Allied Player should get a PP bonus for $hitcanning Kimmel. Every politician in Washington would have been demanding his head served on a platter. Even his mother would have been ashamed of him.
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Lecivious says it's so. Sounds like 100PP in the bank. What say you, Moose? .......Anyone?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Nimitz will greatly influence events within his range, as will any command HQ leader. They simply have not released all of the formulae, but I have seen units building/rebuilding faster, recover faster, possibly train faster, etc.

I don't usually bother with Percival, but the ongoing theater commands get good leaders. It's worth it.
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

In reviewing the several Leadership charts, I'm surprised to find that 'Aggression' has no effect other than defining 'Front Line' and 'Rear Area' leaders, at the Regiment/Brigade/Division level.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Nimitz will greatly influence events within his range, as will any command HQ leader. They simply have not released all of the formulae, but I have seen units building/rebuilding faster, recover faster, possibly train faster, etc.

I agree. PH is the single most important US base IMO, at least for two years. I want it to have everything it can to be all it can be.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

In reviewing the several Leadership charts, I'm surprised to find that 'Aggression' has no effect other than defining 'Front Line' and 'Rear Area' leaders, at the Regiment/Brigade/Division level.

Be careful as the devs have never, ever laid out exactly what each trait does in the formulae. There are tea leaves read, ancient posts from WITP days interpreted, suppositions, and al lot of lore handed down from father to son. Some things are pretty clear at a top level. But the whole area of Leaders is very murky. Why you'll get dozens of opinions when you ask a flat question. But those what know ain't saying.
The Moose
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Thanks Moose! As an old 'Rocky' fan, going all the way back to the 60's, I have the ability to decipher your last comment.
More pea soup please!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

There are tea leaves read, ancient posts from WITP days interpreted, suppositions, and al lot of lore handed down from father to son.
Knuckle bones. You forgot casting of knuckle bones.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
There are tea leaves read, ancient posts from WITP days interpreted, suppositions, and al lot of lore handed down from father to son.
Knuckle bones. You forgot casting of knuckle bones.

Entrails of birds . . .

Seriously though, I will not confirm or deny, but I may have seen a first draft of a certain document by a certain well-known forumite who did exhaustive research on the subject back to WITP forum days. And a lot of what is accepted wisdom on the subject might not be true based on long-ago leaks.
The Moose
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Ah-ha!
Maybe that Swedish 'Wiki Leaks' fella knows sumthin' about it!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Ah-ha!
Maybe that Swedish 'Wiki Leaks' fella knows sumthin' about it!

No, not Sweden. [:)]

Far from it. [:'(]
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”