anybody still playing?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Phoenix100

anybody still playing?

Post by Phoenix100 »

I wonder how many people are still playing this game. It's so quiet in here at the moment.
Shout if you're still playing. If not, leave a quick note as to why....

Bugs/issues that seriously put me off embarking on a scenario, these days:

1. the supply thing - all aspects of it - especially for airborne scenarios
2. the discovery - if such it is - that the Axis heavy armour can't shoot too straight....

Other things - like the occasional HQ or mortar leading an attack, or the double delay penalty for defend orders - I can put up with. But those 2 tend to put a spanner in the works of most scenarios I would wish to enjoy.
Renato

RE: anybody still playing?

Post by Renato »

I'm playing other games.

1. The order cancellation bug is still present: now and then during play, some units cancel their order and remain still indefinitely.
2. The supply: too many losses of supply vehicles and the impossibility to utilize other bases when the original depleted base is still present.

I havn't noted your last point.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Yes mate, I'm still here.

Been away for a few days, but back again now.
Have started on the Corps battle plan for my AAR so hope to get that posted in the next few days.
I'm back messing around with the Elsenborn Ridge scenario again, to refresh my memory, that's why I noticed the bad shooting of the Tigers.
I have always put it down to bad weather, or terrain before, but after encountering that Recon unit, and hardly scratching it at point blank range I decided there had to be something wrong, which then lead to me getting side-tracked, where I then spent the next 2 evenings in the map maker, and scenario designer knocking up tests for it.
Its all good fun I guess :)
Might have a crack at making a scenario one day.
I would like to extend the Elsenborn map North to include the Hoffen one, and US 2d Division, attacking in Wahlerschied inbetween the two.
Also a map to the West of Hoffen to exploit a successful Axis attack.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: Renato

1. The order cancellation bug is still present: now and then during play, some units cancel their order and remain still indefinitely.
Renato

If you increase the end of the order time way ahead, even to the end of the scenario if necessary, they won't cancel their orders.
It is a bit of a click fest to have to do this with every order I agree, but it does seem to work.
They usually only cancel their orders if they get held up for a long time in my experience, or if you drag the end waypoint on the map, for attack orders, instead of doing a new one. This is only applicable for attack orders for some reason. Move orders will just keep slipping until they get there.
The co-ordinated attack orders still has issues though, where they will bunker down if they can't make the assault at time, that annoying, so I have been avoiding using it.

Also if when dragging a move order on the map to another location, instead of assigning a new one, if you add a new waypoint to it, it will reset the end time. so you need to watch out for that and make sure you increase the end time by a lot, or all the way to the end of the scenario, or when they reach their destination they will revert to no order again.
Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

Well, it looks as if I am playing like hell - happen to be having three scenarios going in the HTH mode, one of each addon and one form the base game, two Ardennes scenarios completed within two weeks or something and getting ready to start the Greek campaign '41 with "The First Clash at Veve" this Sunday and / or Monday. There is lots of weird an bizarre maneuvers being performed throughout my operations by the lower level rank commanders in filed - probing with HQ coys and mortar platoons up front and far away from the main subunit force or organic indirect fire suport units deployed deep in the rear, unable and unwilling to render any help ... but since the chaos reigns on each battlefield the idea ofd having total control has to be dropped at the very eginning and once and for all so ... There are mostly meant to go around all that and accept defeat, but that is what it takes. Dunno if Matteo will stay in the game if he won't make any substantial progres at Losheim Gap - on the third day of the offensive it does not look like materializing any time soo, but things do change quickly on the battlefields her so ...We'll see, but if You fancy a game in such circumstances ...
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

Still playing here.

Mostly the Greek scenarios I confess, and waiting impatiently for the rest of the Med pack, but any fixes would naturally be welcome.

At this precise moment in time, I am playing Espana '36 and trying to win as the republicans. Tough nut to crack. But CO is always there, and always played from week to week.
Renato

Post by Renato »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

Renato

If you increase the end of the order time way ahead, even to the end of the scenario if necessary, they won't cancel their orders.
It is a bit of a click fest to have to do this with every order I agree, but it does seem to work.
They usually only cancel their orders if they get held up for a long time in my experience, or if you drag the end waypoint on the map, for attack orders, instead of doing a new one. This is only applicable for attack orders for some reason. Move orders will just keep slipping until they get there.

I'll follow your suggestion when I come back to this game. Thanks.

I have definitely seen the order cancellation bug even with the Move order, and quite often.
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Still playing. Sadly had a ctd in the 'Hell on wheels' scenario. Must.learn.to.refrain.from.max.speed. ........ I love you CO., when will you start loving me back? :)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Nothing to put you off, Ramses? Noting that needs urgent work?
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Nothing to put you off, Ramses? Noting that needs urgent work?

The supply thing. It is murder!
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Still playing some when I get a chance.
The supply issues are annoying for the type that I usually prefer playing (multi-day scenarios) but are not a game stopper yet as I heavily mod to make up for it.
The Panzers... I have played in the editors to fix them, and that issue seems to be not a problem in my own database. I have increased their likelihood of breakdowns while also increasing the lethality of the ones that do get into the fight... playing against them is now a definite health hazard for the pixeltruppen, and on their side, talking at least about the V and the VI.... is a matter of trying not to move them a lot, but when they are healthy they have been able to decimate enemy armor, light or heavy.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I wonder how many people are still playing this game. It's so quiet in here at the moment.
Shout if you're still playing. If not, leave a quick note as to why....

Bugs/issues that seriously put me off embarking on a scenario, these days:

1. the supply thing - all aspects of it - especially for airborne scenarios
2. the discovery - if such it is - that the Axis heavy armour can't shoot too straight....

Other things - like the occasional HQ or mortar leading an attack, or the double delay penalty for defend orders - I can put up with. But those 2 tend to put a spanner in the works of most scenarios I would wish to enjoy.

Being of the "glass half full" philosophy, I have Patton's Favorite, Widening the Corridor, Battle for Nancy V3 (an alternate scenario), St. Lo (another alternate), Nijmegen, All American, Meuse to Rhine, and Sweeteye's Omaha Beach in progress.

My battles tend to go slow goes because I issues I perceive against recorded histories, and evaluate tactics I used prior to encountering the trouble to see how they jibe with recorded doctrine.

My philosophy is the same when I worked software logistics for the US Army.

1. If you wait for something better before using what exists, you lose out on the good embedded in the original.

2. As information on the technology and user expectation evolves, at some point you have to commit to a baseline so you know the foundation you can build on.

3. If you're holding off because what you see isn't "perfect" in your eyes, see 1 above.
Take care,

jim
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Quite agree with that sentiment Jim.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

1. If you wait for something better before using what exists, you lose out on the good embedded in the original.

2. As information on the technology and user expectation evolves, at some point you have to commit to a baseline so you know the foundation you can build on.

3. If you're holding off because what you see isn't "perfect" in your eyes, see 1 above.
That's a great analogy Jim!
Is it a quote, or did you just make it up?
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Impossible for me to stop playing this too, since there's still nothing even vaguely to match this game for the AI.

I'm tackling Race to Bastogne, as Axis, at the moment. The supply issues don't really appear like they do in the airborne sceanrios, though I would love to tweak the Axis heavy armour as navwarcol has. What values did you change to get greater fire lethality, navwarcol?
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I tweaked the weapon accuracy of the main guns a bit in the estab editor. Took a few tries to get one that felt right, but it mostly does now. Playing the German side, I have decimated a few companies with one company sized unit of Tigers, and playing the Allied side, the only way I have found to beat them is with speed and stealth, getting behind them to affect their supplies. As in reality, they literally eat supplies, historically that was their primary weakness, and I think I have made that to be so in my estab.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Can you mail me it, Navwarcol? Be very grateful to be able to try it out. Or why not post the estab file as a mod?
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I likely will set it as a mod, want to see how many of my "temporary fixes" may not be needed once some of these issues are dealt with in a patch... for example I have loaded up all bases with far more jeeps, etc than they should have, to account for many dumb jeep and truck drivers getting plastered driving into areas that a real driver would avoid, for example driving along the same route that moments before had a convoy 100% destroyed, while there is still incoming rounds lol... I hope to be able to not need a lot of those types of things in it once I am ready to post it... but I will probably keep things like the reworked accuracy levels, as well as some other things added (Maus, separate ammunition for MG vs rifle to make the logistics work better, etc)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I already modded the jeeps like that too. But would love to try your armaments adjustments as well. Doesn't have to be perfect for you to post it. I can use it as a WIP.
pekische

Post by pekische »

I play CO quite a lot...the main problems for me are: 1. of course supply!!!; 2. impossibility to unmount infantry; 3. UI could be much more better!!!

but i like this game and i wish dev has more time to improve it ;)

Return to “Command Ops Series”