Unassailable base

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Quixote

Unassailable base

Post by Quixote »

Michael,
Playing with the Beta (which may or may not matter for this one) I found an island base that Japan is unable to invade. Kalao, a dot-base island in the DEI near Kendari, will not permit amphibious invasions. I'm attaching a screenshot and a save. FYI, I did try targeting the same base with other TFs but got the same error, so I don't think it's a bug with just the TF I'm using. It probably won't affect very many games, but in case you find a few minutes any time in the near future to take a look, I'll post it anyway. Thanks (yet again.) -Alex

Attachments
Amphib3.jpg
Amphib3.jpg (355.05 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Quixote

RE: Unassailable base

Post by Quixote »

And the save.
Attachments
wpae066.zip
(2.66 MiB) Not downloaded yet
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Sounds like an issue with the pwhex file set. That hex might be configured to bar amphibious landings.
obvert

Post by obvert »

I tried this one too, and found the same. At the time I think we were using the official patch.

The rowboat corps got it eventually in my game and if I wanted to put something there the flying boats worked fine.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: obvert

I tried this one too, and found the same. At the time I think we were using the official patch.

The rowboat corps got it eventually in my game and if I wanted to put something there the flying boats worked fine.

I had exactly the same issue and solution.
Created by the amazing Dixie
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

WOOHOOO, dispatching troops to occupy it now!!!!!
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

O wait, can't unload there either :(... Your in luck Quixote
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Surprised non of you experts thought of the obvious........drop a paratroop on it!
Hans

Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Surprised non of you experts thought of the obvious........drop a paratroop on it!

I thought of that but had more important missions for the paratroopers. Plus, How do you get them off? The only way I can think of is using flying boat transports. They weren't in the area and it wasn't worth moving them there just to take a dot hex.
Created by the amazing Dixie
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I thought of that but had more important missions for the paratroopers. Plus, How do you get them off? The only way I can think of is using flying boat transports. They weren't in the area and it wasn't worth moving them there just to take a dot hex.

Yes, flying boats on a "pick up" from remote location would be the way to get them off afterward.

All moot since the rowboat corps osmosis method of gaining control worked just fine for you. [:)]
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I'm only guessing, but perhaps it being a friendly base would be different than a hostile amphibious operation??
Kull

Post by Kull »

Just so you know, this is not a bug (as noted in this 2011 thread):
ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

There is a "no amphib possible" attribute for a hex. It means that terrain or surf or something will prevent amphib ops at that location.

You could use parachute operations or just leave it. Undefended locations will usually switch over.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Thanks Kull - I hadn't seen that thread before.

I understand what Don is saying, but I also wonder why this was applied solely to Kaloatoa out of all the island bases in the game. Every picture I can find of the island shows it with pretty beaches that look ideal for wading ashore. Since my Indonesian is pretty rusty (or non-existent), I don't know if there are swarms of predatory sharks swimming through massive coral reefs just offshore in these pictures just by reading the captions, but at first glance, it's certainly no Pointe du Hoc...

(I see the logic behind making some hexes unassailable, but I still suspect it was applied to this base in error.)
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Quixote

Thanks Kull - I hadn't seen that thread before.

I understand what Don is saying, but I also wonder why this was applied solely to Kaloatoa out of all the island bases in the game. Every picture I can find of the island shows it with pretty beaches that look ideal for wading ashore. Since my Indonesian is pretty rusty (or non-existent), I don't know if there are swarms of predatory sharks swimming through massive coral reefs just offshore in these pictures just by reading the captions, but at first glance, it's certainly no Pointe du Hoc...

(I see the logic behind making some hexes unassailable, but I still suspect it was applied to this base in error.)

The name in Indonesian is Pulau Kalao, and after spending some time checking it on Google Earth, I'd have to agree that it doesn't look particularly unassailable. It's interesting to know that there's a "no amphib possible" hex attribute, but this island wouldn't seem to fit the bill. Most likely it was something inserted for testing purposes, and nobody picked up on the fact it was still there in the final release. And given the strategic importance of Kalao in game (LOL), one can see why it's not at the top of the "must fix" lists.

I'm more curious about the team's decision not to make wider use of this attribute. Probably since there are so few available base hexes in game when compared to how many there *could* be, it was just one of those ideas that didn't turn out to be very useful. (i.e. if you really want to make a hex unavailable for amphib, just don't make it a base hex)

Return to “Tech Support”