Amphibious Strategies?

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Davekhps

Amphibious Strategies?

Post by Davekhps »

Okay, I'm a year into the war as the Union and I'm still not getting the naval side of the ledger.

1. How does one take a fort? Do I have to land on the land side and attack from there, or can I land on the fort and take it?

2. What's needed, roughly, to take forts? How many troops/artillery/etc.? How useful/necessary is naval bombardment?

3. Is there a "one turn" move in transporting troops? I did the distant unload deal, but the only way that works for me still involves sailing my ships adjacent to where I want to land on turn 1, then unloading troops on turn 2. WAD?

4. Every time I've landed troops anywhere, within a turn or two I'm faced with Confederate doom stacks that render my invasion useless. Nice for a game, but somewhat ahistorical IMHO (I just don't get how I can possibly take coastal territories in any quantity worth keeping, certainly not at a speed representative of reality-- I honestly don't see myself surging enough troops nationwide to run enough campaigns, let alone take coastal areas).

5. New Orleans... best way to take it?

Thanks all,
Dave
Ace1_slith

RE: Amphibious Strategies?

Post by Ace1_slith »

1. You can land on the fort directly from ships, or from the land side, your choice.

2. It depends on the number of units guarding it. If there is only 1 inf regiments and 1 fort cannon defending it, half sized division will storm it with ease. If there is a full division in fort, you 'll have trouble assaulting it with 30.000 men because only half a division can fight at the fort at the same time (not sure is it half, or 1/3 division, or 2/3 division, I only remember that it is little and that you ll get a bloddy nose for assaulting a fort guarded by full division). In that case, best option is to surround the fort and starve it to death. Or, if you are in a hurry, do assaults 3-4 turns in a row. Eventually, you 'll kill everyone inside, but do not be surprised if you take huge NM hits due to great losses because of this strategy:)

3. You select distant unload special order, select the region where you want to disembark, sail your ships to adjacent region. Your troops will start unloading when ships get to adjacent region.

4. CSA coast is mostly swamp and marshes. Those are great defensive areas. If you for example take New Orleans or Charleston with 3 divisions, he would need at least 12 to dislodge you from there. If the CSA withdraws 12 divisions from the main front, you can be SURE road to Richmond is way open.

5. Look at 4
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

1. both work. expect strong resistance.

2. I use a corps of 2 divisions to ensure a quick result, but a standard division (12 INF, 4 ART, 1 SS, 1 CAV) can do it, too. Nav bombardment helps, but only if you have a good sized navy. Ships are vulnerable to cannon fire.

3. No, there's an option in the combat menu to unload troops upon arrival (icon next to the bombardment one). Ensure your navy and troops are assault posture. You'll select the region you want to land in (it will glow).

4. That's the benefit of railways -- quick troop movement. I always make invasions (as Union) with at least 1 corps (of 2-3 divisions). Take a town, then expand from there with reinforcements. Don't try major cities (at least I don't, except New Orleans). Take Wilmington, or a couple in Florida, etc. The purpose of invasions, IMHO, is to divert Confederate troops from the "front." My main assault forces are still with the West (and Potomac, somewhat). So, when the Confederates swarm on you, that's good. Also, I take enough supply units and light artillery to build a fort upon arrival. Makes it hard to remove you.

5. New Orleans. Take an army of 2 corps, 4-5 divisions. Do as I noted above by entering the river and landing on the same turn in assault posture. You usually take it in one turn (and often capture ships!). From there, I take a corps NE to Fort Pike and another NW to Springfield. Take 2-3 cavalry units, too, as I use them to scout out ahead and destroy railways. That slows counterattacks. After that, I reinforce when possible with extra divisions to move toward Mobile and Baton Rouge.

Edit: Ace and I are of like minds!
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

Thanks all for the tips!

Return to “Civil War II”