Organizing Scenario Folder - Great Option

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Grim.Reaper

Organizing Scenario Folder - Great Option

Post by Grim.Reaper »

I am likely the only one who didn't know this, but thought I would share in case others were unaware too.

I was originally wondering how I might keep user created scenarios separate from the official release scenarios and was going to ask if there was a way to identify them differently. However, I happen to stumble on the fact the scenario directory is actually very flexible and has good options to organize all your scenarios, however you want.

Within the C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\Scenarios directory, by default you have a sub directory for tutorials and stand alone scenarios. When you start a new game, you see those two folders as options to select scenarios from. However, you can create your own directories within the scenario directory to organize your scenarios however you want.

If you want a folder just for user created ones, just create a directory called C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\Scenarios\UserCreated and now you will have a new folder you can put user created scenarios into. When you load the game, you will now see a new folder for user created, keeping them separate from the others.

This also opens the door to organize your scenarios by type. For example, if you wanted to keep all your US vs USSR scenarios together in one place and separate from the rest, just create a folder like C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\Scenarios\USvsUSSR. Even within the sub directories you can further create sub directories to even further break it down. For example, you could have something like this.

C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\Scenarios\1980s\USvsUSSR
C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\Scenarios\1980s\USvsChina
etc.

This is an excellent option the developers built in and really appreciate it. It may not be an issue right now with a manageable list of scenarios available, but when there are a ton, this will be an excellent way for me to organize everything to make it easy to find.

If everyone else already knew about this, sorry for wasting your time:)
Dimitris

RE: Organizing Scenario Folder - Great Option

Post by Dimitris »

This is a good suggestion, but it opens the door to potential problems down the road when e.g. we release an updated version of Scen-X, which is expected to be in the folder "\Standalone Scens" (and thus make a clean overwrite there) but has in fact been moved to "\Standalone Scens\1960s\Scen-X". So now suddenly you have two versions of the same scenario present on your filetree and no easy way to see which is the most current one.
Grim.Reaper

RE: Organizing Scenario Folder - Great Option

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

This is a good suggestion, but it opens the door to potential problems down the road when e.g. we release an updated version of Scen-X, which is expected to be in the folder "\Standalone Scens" (and thus make a clean overwrite there) but has in fact been moved to "\Standalone Scens\1960s\Scen-X". So now suddenly you have two versions of the same scenario present on your filetree and no easy way to see which is the most current one.

Good point. Likely will leave official scenarios in the default spot and just organize user made ones. Thanks for bringing this point up.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”