ASW/AAW Warship ops

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

$trummer

ASW/AAW Warship ops

Post by $trummer »

Had a great experience in the third tutorial mission configuring my warship to conduct simultaneous AAW and ASW ops. Just a few quick questions:

ASW

- The Stockdale's passive hull sonar detected the Romeo. The Seahawk I had placed on an ASW patrol mission hovered nearby but did not appear to drop sonobuoys nor prosecute an attack, although I saw it go "Engaged Offensive" once or twice. There was no datalink between the helo and the ship. I have no idea therefore, if the ASW helo knew where the sub was, either via its own sensore or from the ship's.

- At no point was I able -- as far as I could determine -- to drop sonobuoys with [ and ] from the Seahawk after enabling its sonar search sensors. (This may be user error...)

- The Stockdale then fired two RUM-139 VL-ASROC missiles at a 25 minute-old contact (the sub). The dropped torpedoes found their target and the Romeo was destroyed but why did the ship fire on such an old contact and why did the helo appear not to be able to update it by actively investigating the contact area, possibly even using its own weapons? Maybe the sub just went completely silent and the ship fired those missiles as a kind of semi-blind defense?

AAW

- The enemy aircraft is an Orion. How can this be? According to the database, the Orion is a NATO platform. The ships sensors' best guess was that the aircraft was Norwegian; why would that be hostile (unless I'm not staying abreast of international developments)?

As always, many thanks.
Primarchx

RE: ASW/AAW Warship ops

Post by Primarchx »

Can't address the ASW angle much. Wacky things happen from time to time. I had some Norwegian NSMs heading towards a Russian Nanuchka that literally TURNED AROUND when the the contact on the Russian shifted from roughly localized ESM contact to a 'spike' contact that with a center behind its' path of travel (this will be seen in an upcoming Let's Play). Annoying!

I don't have a problem with the P-3 delivering the ASMs in that scenario, personally. It's supposed to be a drill. After all, why is there a North Korean sub guarding hostile artillery on San Clemente Island?
Der Zeitgeist

Post by Der Zeitgeist »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Can't address the ASW angle much. Wacky things happen from time to time. I had some Norwegian NSMs heading towards a Russian Nanuchka that literally TURNED AROUND when the the contact on the Russian shifted from roughly localized ESM contact to a 'spike' contact that with a center behind its' path of travel (this will be seen in an upcoming Let's Play). Annoying!

I also had that happen with a Backfire strike on a surface group. It seems the missiles are actually chasing the target as it shows on your screen, rather than the one they "see" with their seeker. The contact ambiguity zone is something created by your own assets' ESM gear, it shouldn't affect the flight path of any missiles.
$trummer

Post by $trummer »

Doh, I think I used the wrong Seahawk for ASW. It appears that one comes with an ASW loadout, the other with AAW.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”