Contact, when I say "drop", I mean drop!!

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Texashawk

Contact, when I say "drop", I mean drop!!

Post by Texashawk »

While I love this game more than any I've played since, yes, Harpoon II, I have 2 things that annoy me, probably because I'm a DW fan:

1) When I drop a contact, it comes back a second later. I know it has been reacquired, but I wish there was a way to drop permanently contacts (civilian shipping, sunk ships, etc) without having them reacquire on the screen.

2) I find myself wishing I could assign tentative sides/types to a contact from the sensor readings. Especially in large scenarios, it would help with the bookkeeping of where to place your recon assets and where to concentrate your forces. Some kind of 'presumed friendly/neutral/enemy' setting would be nice, as would the ability to assign a tentative contact type based on the 'possible sensor platform' list generated.

Like I said, minor points but I really think they would help with the threat classification part of the sim!!
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Dimitris

RE: Contact, when I say "drop", I mean drop!!

Post by Dimitris »

Thanks!

On the second point, you man manually designate a contact as hostile by pressing "H".
kaburke61

Post by kaburke61 »

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

While I love this game more than any I've played since, yes, Harpoon II, I have 2 things that annoy me, probably because I'm a DW fan:

1) When I drop a contact, it comes back a second later. I know it has been reacquired, but I wish there was a way to drop permanently contacts (civilian shipping, sunk ships, etc) without having them reacquire on the screen.

2) I find myself wishing I could assign tentative sides/types to a contact from the sensor readings. Especially in large scenarios, it would help with the bookkeeping of where to place your recon assets and where to concentrate your forces. Some kind of 'presumed friendly/neutral/enemy' setting would be nice, as would the ability to assign a tentative contact type based on the 'possible sensor platform' list generated.

Like I said, minor points but I really think they would help with the threat classification part of the sim!!

Definitely +1 to the first item. The only way it seems at times to make it ignore the contact is to 1) Uncheck ignore plotted course when attacking, and 2) and make sure the AI hold fire item is checked.
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Thanks!

On the second point, you man manually designate a contact as hostile by pressing "H".

What are the keys to manually designate a contact as all the other states, like neutral for example. I do not want to drop a contact (if it isn't a false contact i.e clutter), I always want to designate a contact in order to retain a situational awareness / avoid collateral damage.
Texashawk

Post by Texashawk »

You're welcome!

Didn't know that about the hostile designation; is there a way to designate neutral as well?
ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Thanks!

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Not at the moment, sorry!
therealsoglejr

Post by therealsoglejr »

You have to say "Drop, Drop, Drop". It won't work unless you say it three times. [:)]
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Curious why you'd want to perma-drop a contact though :-D

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
MirabelleBenou

Post by MirabelleBenou »

It'll be usefull in order to have particular a/c to not investigate or auto-attack a target when other are already on it.
kaburke61

Post by kaburke61 »

ORIGINAL: MirabelleBenou

It'll be usefull in order to have particular a/c to not investigate or auto-attack a target when other are already on it.

+1.
Juramentado

Post by Juramentado »

From a TTP perspective, I wouldn't want to drop any contacts. At some point, Hostile or Unfriendly contacts will intersect or even parallel paths with Neutral Contacts. That's when you get your bell rung. [8D] In fact, you'd hate my upcoming Horn of Africa scenario where I simulate a typical day's worth of traffic passing through the IRTZ safe passage lanes.
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Oh god looks like I'm going to be sinking a lot of innocents[:)]
AKA - Smudge
Temple

Post by Temple »

I'll way in on this on the side of the folks who want a button to drop a contact. I'm playing "First Contact 1957" right now and I'm actually motoring over a 35 minute old contact that's obviously no longer anywhere in the vicinity. I would like the option to be able to drop that contact from the screen.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”