"Unknown Exception" with BOL every time

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
erichswafford

"Unknown Exception" with BOL every time

Post by erichswafford »

This bug seems to afflict H3 HUE 3.11.1 and H3 ANW 3.9.4, but not H3 3.6.3.

Specifically, any attempt to do a Bearing Only Launch, with any weapon, from any platform, using any database, results in an immediate fatal crash accompanied by a dialog box indicating "Unknown Exception".

Has anyone else seen this? Any workarounds? This is really debilitating for weapons such as the Russian Type 65 wake-homing torp - my usual tactic being to do a BOL into the expected path of an oncoming CVBG, at which point the big fish can raise some serious Hell.

I'd like to use HUE 3.11.1/ANW 3.9.4 due to their superior windowing ability (they can fill my 1080p screen better than the 1280x1024 limit on 3.6.3).

PS - Having a great time playing the old NACV scenarios that were ported over to PlayersDB. Nice work on that and much appreciated.
"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid
fguerin35

RE: "Unknown Exception" with BOL every time

Post by fguerin35 »

Hi,

Problem already reported to AGSI. Is under investigation.

Regards,

FG
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

Wow, fast reply. Thanks and hope you guys can track it down. Meanwhile, back to old 3.6.3 for a while. I wonder sometimes if my tactic is at all realistic. It's rather difficult to find source material re: Soviet torpedo doctrine for the big Type 65.
- Ovid
fguerin35

Post by fguerin35 »

Good piece of reading is Dr Milan Vego's "Soviet Naval tactics"... Lots of diagrams. Update the names of planes and ships classes, and you'll get the Russian Navy's tricks.

FG
CapitanPiluso

Post by CapitanPiluso »

ORIGINAL: kondor999

This bug seems to afflict H3 HUE 3.11.1 and H3 ANW 3.9.4, but not H3 3.6.3.

Specifically, any attempt to do a Bearing Only Launch, with any weapon, from any platform, using any database, results in an immediate fatal crash accompanied by a dialog box indicating "Unknown Exception".

Has anyone else seen this? Any workarounds? This is really debilitating for weapons such as the Russian Type 65 wake-homing torp - my usual tactic being to do a BOL into the expected path of an oncoming CVBG, at which point the big fish can raise some serious Hell.

I'd like to use HUE 3.11.1/ANW 3.9.4 due to their superior windowing ability (they can fill my 1080p screen better than the 1280x1024 limit on 3.6.3).

PS - Having a great time playing the old NACV scenarios that were ported over to PlayersDB. Nice work on that and much appreciated.

See here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3255609, you´d better learn to live with it.......

And here http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18 for a complete list.

Anyway a superb game [8D]
One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

Wait a minute. They said in that link there would be a "Hotfix soon"? That was back on 1/24/13 - 9 months ago!

Oh dear...what's going on with this? I mean, BOL is a fairly major function that's used with a wide variety of weapons. It's not like some esoteric thing that never happens. How the heck did that make it through QA?

Anyway, I wonder if rolling back to an earlier build of either ANW or the 1st version of HUE (3.10) would fix the problem? I had a different copy of ANW 3.9.4 (not the one that came with HUE), and I don't recall this BOL show-stopper.
- Ovid
stuarts

Post by stuarts »

I noticed the lack of a hotfix months after the event as well. It must be a tough bug to track down !!!
Try going back to 3.10.1a If I remember right thats the version I'm using now and don't get a crash...or use 3.6.3

Return to “Tech Support”