Tom Clancy

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

HercMighty

Tom Clancy

Post by HercMighty »

Author Tom Clancy dies at 66
Oct. 2, 2013, 10:37 AM EST

By Brent Lang
TheWrap

Tom Clancy, the author of several best-selling military thrillers including "The Hunt for Red October" and "Patriot Games," died Tuesday at a Baltimore hospital. He was 66.

Bing: More on Tom Clancy

Clancy's publisher confirmed the news to the New York Times. A spokesman for the author's literary agency William Morris Endeavor Entertainment did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In a career that spanned three decades, Clancy became one of the most successful figures in publishing. His name above a title was a calling card that conferred best seller status on his espionage and military thrillers and inspired a dizzying array of tie-ins ranging from movies to video games.

More to come...

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=830346
oldman45

RE: Tom Clancy

Post by oldman45 »

Well crap, what a shame. RIP Tom.
mjk428

Post by mjk428 »

RIP.

I remember way back when my mother gave me a newspaper clipping previewing a book called Hunt for Red October by some unknown author. She thought it might be something that I'd be interested in.
MitchRapp

Post by MitchRapp »

RIP and man this really sucks. First Vince Flynn and now TC.
Been gaming for over 55 years and will die while playing.
evaamo2

Post by evaamo2 »

Sad news indeed. RIP
Wiz33

Post by Wiz33 »

RIP Tom. For a lot of us that was not in the service. HFRO and RSR was what got us interested in this field.
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Well that shocked me.
Well remember a mate having to finish his hardback copy of Red Storm Rising before I could read it.
Felt like a lifetime (could not afford hardback)

RIP Tom. [&o]
midnight_mangler

Post by midnight_mangler »

RIP. Funny you say that LuckyJim. I started rereading my thick red hardback RSR a few nights after Command was released.

Tom got me into Harpoon. Without his books it is quite possible I would not be here.

On a positive note: time to reread my favorites as a celebration of his life.

Godspeed.
George Patton

Post by George Patton »

RIP Tom

Thanks for all the time enjoying reading your books
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Goodbye Tom. RIP.

My first exposure to modern naval simulations was Red Storm Rising (that old sub game). Red October, Red Storm Rising, Rainbow Six.

If you are an American wargamer grognard you read Tom's classics. And that is what they are: Classics of the genre.

He is missed.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Shocked and saddened by the news of his death. Hunt for Red October was a seminal work and a mighty fine thriller. He was a very innovative author in a genre he almost invented, the technothriller. Read and re-read all of his stuff up until later times. HfRO is one movie my wife and I enjoy watching whenever it is on (must have watched it at least a million times and never tire of it). Spent countless hours on computer games he fathered. He was, in short, a signficant influence on my life. He will be missed but he will live on through his works.

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Guy changed my life, that's for sure.

M
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

moontan

Post by moontan »

RIP m8!

i must've read RSR at least 5 times.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I'm retired now but worked for 30 years at Electric Boat, testing and designing subs. Of course, any book on submarine warfare made the rounds quickly. I remember reading the last chapter on the shuttle bus to the parking lot and had about 10 pages to go. I had to just sit in the car and finish it before driving home.

Dave
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Groton or RI?

Remember going to watch Hartford launch when I was a kid.

M
snowburn

Post by snowburn »

Goodbye Tom... i discovered your books a few months ago (currently reading clear & present danger for the first time) but im enjoying them :)
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I was in Groton. Just occasional trips out to Quonset to check on something or other. Worked in Nuclear Test doing startup testing on the reactor plants of 688 class and then moved to engineering. Worked on SEAWOLF, TRIDENT, VIRGINIA designs.

Groton or RI?

Remember going to watch Hartford launch when I was a kid.

M

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
joey

Post by joey »

I was on my first tour on a submarine when Hunt for Red October came out. The next year War Games came out as a movie. Finally submarines were represented in movies and in books. I was elated! I loved Cardinal in the Kremlin and Red Storm Rising both of which came out while I was on my second sub. Sum of all Fears and Patriot Games were excellent also. I read each a number of times. I have tried to write a number of books in his style. I am currently writing one now. It is so difficult to capture that feel that his books give. I will miss you. j
RIP Tom!
BKLANDIN

Post by BKLANDIN »

The movie never did the book justice. I remember when the movie came out, my family were very excited. I told them to read the book.
Years later I saw the movie on TV and still say, the book is better. I read it in two days, and while out in the boondocks.
He was an original. I always enjoyed him and James Clavell.

RIP Tom.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”