Weather / Time of Day and Weapon guidance

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Adam106

Weather / Time of Day and Weapon guidance

Post by Adam106 »

Hey,

It appears at the moment that weather and time of day has no effect on the employment and accuracy of weapons - is this correct?

I've just done some tests with GBU-12 LGBs, with the weather set to solid cloud cover and heavy rain. The bombs guided just like they would on a clear day. Did I read in the build notes somewhere that weather did play a part - or am I making that up? Otherwise I'm having great fun with the editor.
Dimitris

RE: Weather / Time of Day and Weapon guidance

Post by Dimitris »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reporting this. Under these conditions the illumination range should be at least severely reduced (to the point of being almost on top of the target before you can illuminate, depending on conditions). Can you please post the save of the problem so that we can investigate it? Thanks!
Adam106

Post by Adam106 »

OK, if I can work out how to post it I will. But it was just a very simple setup - weather solid overcast and very heavy rain at night. 1 fixed building target and 1 F-16 dropping a GBU-12 from 20000ft. The bomb guided perfectly.

Another question I have is regard to datalinked weapons such as the GBU-15, Walleye and SLAMMER. The datalink orange line thing never shows when using these bombs - is this intentional? or am I missing something? Are they locking on before launch? Is the datalink ever used?

[...Having looked again could it be something to do with the 'Weather effects air ops' option. This is a realism option that is always greyed out out in the realism options box. Is this currently active / supported?]

Cheers.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

The datalinks on all these weapons are optional, which means they can be used without it if necessary (they cannot be directly controlled in flight in this case, of course). If the datalink was mandatory then you would not be able to launch them (and if it was mandatory and was lost in-flight, the weapon would also be lost).

The most common causes for not having a link to these weapons after launching them is:

1) Out of link range.

2) LOS broken between the datalink-provider (either the launching unit or another one with a compatible datalink) and the weapon.

3) In the case of air-launched weapons, the aircraft-side datalink is often carried on a pod as part of the loadout. If the pod is not present on the loadout then no link will be established. So bring up the "Weapons" window and check if the datalink pod is there.

Thanks!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I was curios about the greyed out weather box also. No clue what it is there for.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

You mean on the realism options?

This covers some things that are coming in the future.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”