Games that let you down

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

DerTroof

RE: Games that let you down

Post by DerTroof »

Unity of Command. I’ve posted before that I love the simple but elegant design, the interface, and I don’t even mind the bobblehead sprites! But this game is ruined for me by gamy scenario design that requires the player to throw out virtually all sound operational concepts in order to snatch the prize before the arbitrary time deadline runs out.

Never could get into any Civs after Civ II… maybe I just played that one too much.

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Two things really disappointed me about GGWBTS was

1. Emancipation Proclamation. It seemed very hard to beat on Union side if you couldn't make that come off and it was hard to get the requirements.
3. Limits on garrison/militia. Couldn't hardly keep rebellious areas not rebelling cause I was not allowed to build enough garrisons, it seemed.

What about #2? [:D] I've been playing GGWBTS a lot over the summer so I can't rate it a "letdown," but I agree that it is flawed. The large regions and month-long turns make it impossible to recreate campaigns of maneuver like Lee's invasion of PA or Rosecrans' conquest of central TN. And the initiative system, while arguably realistic in creating the lethargy of certain commanders, can lead to long stretches where not much happens. That said I'd love to hear a GGWBTS 2 was in the works that corrected some of these issues, but it doesn't sound like that's happening. [:(] I have the AGEOD game (the first one) and just haven't gotten into it, it seems very busy and unnecessarily fiddly. But I'll probably give it another try, or maybe just cave into my addiction and buy Civ War II. [8D]

BTW re the multiplayer vs. solitaire/AI debate, I wouldn’t argue that a human player trumps AI every time (all other things being equal) in terms of challenge, but I have to echo those who say they play solitaire in part to decompress and escape the grind of social interaction that is a constant feature of our daily lives. Also, if the game is thoughtful and deep enough, I can learn something about a particular historical period… and that’s just as much fun as “winning” the game.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Oh, Unity of Command. How hard did that suck?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Wow that's harsh. [:D] I wouldn't say it sucked, there's a lot I liked about the game, like the emphasis on logistics, the way theatre assets are handled abstractly (unlike, say, the miracle hovering planes in Panzer Corps), and I thought the map and documentation were very well done. But the puzzle-styled scenarios seem designed to appeal to non-wargamers, so the system's wasted, imo. There's a heckuva game in there somewhere.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

lol Terminus you kill me sometimes. They let you stay here this long without a ban......oh wait!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Why does everyone throw in the towel so fast? I enjoy arguing, dammit! Doesn't really work when I have to do that all by myself too!

Because arguements generally lead to name calling and name calling generally leads to people taking sides and people generally taking sides generally leads to more name calling and then somebody gets banned anyway. You twerp! lol
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer
I should have listened to that inner voice that told me coming here was an error. You won't need to ignore, I'm taking the advice, and leaving.

Well someone sure got their knickers in a twist. [:D]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Not sure where you all got the idea DS is a woman??

Maybe it's Ravinhood in a frock... [&:]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: DerTroof

Wow that's harsh. [:D] I wouldn't say it sucked, there's a lot I liked about the game, like the emphasis on logistics, the way theatre assets are handled abstractly (unlike, say, the miracle hovering planes in Panzer Corps), and I thought the map and documentation were very well done. But the puzzle-styled scenarios seem designed to appeal to non-wargamers, so the system's wasted, imo. There's a heckuva game in there somewhere.

The last two sentences in your post is why it sucked. That and the brain-dead AI.

"Oh look, there's an open hex there! Instead of using our T-34 to defend against the advancing German panzers, let's go driving through into their rear area until we run out of fuel and ammunition! Wheeeeee!"

It's Mario Kart.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

lol Terminus you kill me sometimes. They let you stay here this long without a ban......oh wait!

Because I said Unity of Command sucked? Tough.
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

Or maybe rather you should work on basics of human interaction? Because for a "social person" you're shockingly inept at it.

She says she plays vs males, so prolly just pent up anger about losing every game [8D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

That's mature.
parusski

Post by parusski »

AHAHA, even my wife laughed at the "so prolly just pent up anger about losing every game". Ahhhhh.
ORIGINAL: t001001001
Or maybe rather you should work on basics of human interaction? Because for a "social person" you're shockingly inept at it.

She says she plays vs males, so prolly just pent up anger about losing every game [8D]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

You won't need to ignore, I'm taking the advice, and leaving.

Promise ? I sure hope so, don't look back. BUH BYE !
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Why does everyone throw in the towel so fast? I enjoy arguing, dammit! Doesn't really work when I have to do that all by myself too!

Because arguements generally lead to name calling and name calling generally leads to people taking sides and people generally taking sides generally leads to more name calling and then somebody gets banned anyway. You twerp! lol

And arguments lead to more arguments, and name calling leads to more name calling...and that leads to fighting and fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about World in Flames taking another 2 years to go gold! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Matrix Forums learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

And arguments lead to more arguments, and name calling leads to more name calling...and that leads to fighting and fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about World in Flames taking another 2 years to go gold! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Matrix Forums learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

This isn't ThunderDome. lol
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

No, this is Barter Town. And we all know who runs Barter Town.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

No, this is Barter Town. And we all know who runs Barter Town.

The pigs?
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

LOL! No! Come on... don't make me say it... someone will.

Who run Barter Town?! [:'(]
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Master Blaster runs Bartertown!

Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Return to “General Discussion”