combat and combat table

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bo

combat and combat table

Post by bo »

Ok done all question to be sent to paul [&o]

Hi Killzone I am going to redo the battle below and go through the sequence that will take 4 screens so please bear with me I am putting it here in case you do not go back to that AAR.

2 German 7/4 corps are attacking the Belgian 4/3 corp at 3:1 odds, German attack strength is 14, defenders defence strength is 4 thus the 3:1 odds.

All units in the lower boxes show no effect but when I hit the blitzkrieg the program starts calulating after the die roll [there is a better name than a die roll but it has slipped my mind right now] that will change in the next screen.

Bo

Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (188.95 KiB) Viewed 42 times
bo

RE: d

Post by bo »

Ok Killzone the no effect wording has changed for the Belgian unit it has changed to "Destroyed" the German units suffered no damage at all so their counter remains "no effect". Next screen you will see the die roll and how it effects the result. I will now hit the 1-10 Charts button and the next screen will open that chart.

Bo

Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (197.44 KiB) Viewed 42 times
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Don't leave me hanging, come back!!! 1-10 charts button, what is that???
bo

Post by bo »

This is the Blitz chart I used for the combat results I could have used the Assaut tables to the left [maybe not] and if I am not mistaken the defender in a city gets to choose which chart will be used, just a shade fuzzy on that one. The die roll was a nine and the program follows all the rules instructions and goes to the 3:1 odds column the two coincide and the red block comes on and there is the answer.

When you play you most likely will never click on that 1-D-10 chart there is no real reason to, its there if you wanted to know how the results were calculated.

"-" no effect

" *" -----not disrupted

1B----defending unit destroyed had there been armored units in the attack it could have read */1Bs

S---- possible breakthrough by the armored units.

Had a 7 been rolled it would have read "-" no effect [attacker] /1R, unit must retreat if possible [defender]

Bo

Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (244.81 KiB) Viewed 42 times
bo

Post by bo »

This screen shows the German corp 7/4 moving into Brussels, I can also move the 7/4 unit under him into that hex because that unit assisted in the attack.

Most likely I would not move the 7/4 under the the one moving because it would leave the hex they left without any German units in it which means if the Belgian 5/3 survived the attack on them and I had moved the second 7/4 into the hex they most likely would be come "Out of Supply"

Killzone the first part of the attack is over but for demonstration purposes only I moved 2 Panzer corps the 7/5 armored corp and the other armored corp under that one. I moved them from the hex that has the bomber Do 17Z with the number 3 over it indicating there are 3 icons there, you notice I did not say units, one is a fighter and the other is a build save in the shape of brown boxes, which means there is no infantry there to be able to continue the supply chain due to a Belgian zone of control.

Notice the yellow circle over the Panzer unit, it is out of supply, the reason being is that the 5/3 Belgian unit is excercising its zone of control over the hex southeast of the unit and the other hex with Brussels in it. The moment the German 7/4 moves into Brussels those 2 Panzer units will be back in supply and the yellow light will go out over their counter.

If another German infantry unit had been in the hex with the Do 17Z the chain of supply would have reached those 2 armored units and the yellow light would have never come on. I understand most of what I am telling you, and I know all Wif board gamers know this but they have not seen it relating to a computer.

Bo

Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (278.48 KiB) Viewed 42 times
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Simply, engineered! Thanks bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

Don't leave me hanging, come back!!! 1-10 charts button, what is that???
You had to do it didnt you Kill breaking up my sequences , 3 smacks with a wet noodle, you would probably like that [:D]\

Bo
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

LOL, well yes, but it depends on who is holding the noodle usually. To be frank though, from previous experience I can basically tell ZOC's just from looking at the units in their hexes, the pretty dots are nice but I'm generally color blind so I have to look really close at the dots. When I play paintball no one wants to be on my team, green, red, whats the difference really.
bo

Post by bo »

LOL, well yes, but it depends on who is holding the noodle usually. To be frank though, from previous experience I can basically tell ZOC's just from looking at the units in their hexes, the pretty dots are nice but I'm generally color blind so I have to look really close at the dots. When I play paintball no one wants to be on my team, green, red, whats the difference really.

You are going to have to play at zoom level 8 [:(] Do not tell Steve you are color blind please, if I know him he would work out something in computer color Braile [:D]

Bo

Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Actually, I worried about players having trouble differentiating color a lot several years ago. I had a couple of people who have that difficulty advise me on my use of color. It's not easy to do, but there are tables of colors to use that reduce the problem, and the game employs colors taken from those tables. I had to reassess what 'red' meant, but once the definitions were changed, it had no effect on the code.

As for the small circles used for status indicators, the Unit Data panel provides text that is redundant with the status indicators. For example, a unit that has a bright green status indicator in the top left position is eligible to move. When the cursor is over that unit, the unit data panel states that the unit is "available to move".

I worried about this a lot because 10% of the male population has some degree of difficulty differentiating colors. No way I was going to write off 10% of my primary market segment!
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”