Sounds

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

sherlock1

Sounds

Post by sherlock1 »

I'm playing the tutorials and notice that is is very liitle in the way of sounds. Is this how it is or did I install incorrectly.
Krasny

RE: Sounds

Post by Krasny »

The sounds have to be turned on.

The reason why they are by default off, is that they are bloody awful, especially when guns are fired.

Hopefully something will be done about this situation, because sounds add a great deal of verisimilitude.
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

Sounds are minimalistic,but thats ok for me, I don't need much in terms of bells&whistles, distracts from the planing. The sounds that are there are functional (firing sounds) and I consider them to be "adequate" rather than "bloody awful", but each his own.

Browsing through the forums I consider sound improvements sth that can really, really wait.

Just my 2p,

Cheers,

Martin
SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter »

I think the sounds are excellent in fact I can't play without them but let me tell you what I did :)

bgeery

Post by bgeery »

I found the sound to be insanely loud. In fast some of the sound MP3 files are being driven to digital clipping. I used the free MP3Gain to drop the volume on all sound files by -12dB without the quality lose of re-encoding them. Much happier with the sounds now.
SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter »

Go here and download the chatter file for DCS-A10C
DCS A-10C Real life radio chatter
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/111154/

It's an .ogg file so if your playing through windows media player you will need to download additional plugins for media player to allow .ogg format. I used this download link : http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Code ... 65840.html ... but be warned it installs search toolbars and other crap we don't want, no virus though that I can detect.

This is a chatter file that runs 20-30 minutes, set your player to repeat and you won't long for sound anymore. It fills that void and adds to immersion.
SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter »

ORIGINAL: SilentHunter

Go here and download the chatter file for DCS-A10C
DCS A-10C Real life radio chatter
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/111154/

It's an .ogg file so if your playing through windows media player you will need to download additional plugins for media player to allow .ogg format. I used this download link : http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Code ... 65840.html ... but be warned it installs search toolbars and other crap we don't want, no virus though that I can detect.

This is a chatter file that runs 20-30 minutes, set your player to repeat and you won't long for sound anymore. It fills that void and adds to immersion.

Here's a couple more you could add to a play list with the above file
http://www.lazygranch.com/red_audio.htm

Look under the red flag sections and the playtime is listed. One runs for over 2 hours and is a bombing exercise audio.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

I haven't bought the game.

I'm a prospective buyer -- probably in the "most like will buy by Christmas" category -- but...

The bad reports on the sounds turn me off. Not because I care about bells and whistles, but because sounds provide additional feedback in the game. So for those who played, would it help the game to have oral "reports" issued when certain events happen?

For example, "Surface contact made by Group Foxtrot;" "Flight Golf is bingo fuel and returning home;" etc.? Just simple voice reports.
SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter »

ORIGINAL: BROJD

I'm a prospective buyer -- probably in the "most like will buy by Christmas" category -- but...

The bad reports on the sounds turn me off. Not because I care about bells and whistles, but because sounds provide additional feedback in the game. So for those who played, would it help the game to have oral "reports" issued when certain events happen?

For example, "Surface contact made by Group Foxtrot;" "Flight Golf is bingo fuel and returning home;" etc.? Just simple voice reports.

I get this, such a good game the silence does ruin it. Using the sound files I posted above though does the job, very realistic. At least until and if they do something with sound this workaround is great.
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

Thats a great idea, Hunter, thank you for the links. Simple solution and adds a lot to atmosphere!
M
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

I get this, such a good game the silence does ruin it. Using the sound files I posted above though does the job, very realistic. At least until and if they do something with sound this workaround is great.

Maybe I'm confused, but don't these just add background chatter? I'm more interested in the feasibility, and need, of something that actually provides useful feedback and information about what is happening on the battlefield.
SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter »

Maybe I'm confused, but don't these just add background chatter? I'm more interested in the feasibility, and need, of something that actually provides useful feedback and information about what is happening on the battlefield.

yes correct just background chatter, not in synch in any way to the game - however it does serve as a workaround for the silence. I don't know if the devs plan to put sound in the game but I know the community and mods will come to help with this, currently I don't think anyone can say much positive about the sounds.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”