OT: U.S. Navy and lost antiquities from Dura Europus?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Gil R.

OT: U.S. Navy and lost antiquities from Dura Europus?

Post by Gil R. »

I was speaking with an ancient historian recently, who told me that he had heard from an older ancient historian (now deceased) a rumor that a large amount of material found at Dura Europus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dura-Europos) has been lost during WWII when it was being transported on a USN ship that sank. The one sharing this rumor was a true old-timer, who had been around long enough to know some of the people involved in the Yale excavations in the first half of the 20th century, so maybe there is some truth to it. Among archaeologists and ancient historians, it's a mystery what happened to these materials, but it occurred to me that, with all the WWII knowledge here, someone in this (rather different) community might know if this is just a rumor, or if there really was such an attempt to transport the materials and the ship sank.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Return to “General Discussion”