Getting killed over Rangoon

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

coreyjones

Getting killed over Rangoon

Post by coreyjones »

So I am playing as the Japanese scen 2 on very hard and it's still December. Does the very hard setting make the allied fighters better or something because my zeros are getting a 1:1 kill ratio with p-40's and I get the jump and my pilots are super well rested and everything but those damned p-40's. how do I correct this. I am tired of losing 10 zeros every turn this early in the game.
Lokasenna

RE: Getting killed over Rangoon

Post by Lokasenna »

Yes. On Very Hard, the computer gets a boost in combat. Raise your Zeroes to max altitude on the sweep and you might fare better... Or simply wait until you can overwhelm them with numbers. If you're fighting the AVG, the AVG pilots are actually pretty high quality for early war Allied guys.
coreyjones

Post by coreyjones »

It's the avg. I have no problem with the boys in the phillipines. But the computer has stacked all three squadrons in Rangoon with them on 100% cap. So I am going up against 45 -60 p-40's at a time with 27-35 zeros. Most of my planes are write offs but the losses are starting to hurt. I guess I'll just have to dwindle down their numbers until they run out of replacements.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

That isn't a-historical. First sqdrn of the AVG was based in Rangoon for a while and gave the Japanese fits. I believe the other two sqdrn's rotated in and out as well.

Regards,
Feltan
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: srv24243

It's the avg. I have no problem with the boys in the phillipines. But the computer has stacked all three squadrons in Rangoon with them on 100% cap. So I am going up against 45 -60 p-40's at a time with 27-35 zeros. Most of my planes are write offs but the losses are starting to hurt. I guess I'll just have to dwindle down their numbers until they run out of replacements.

Ugh! In my experience as a player of Japan, the words more and bigger are best used when going up against the allies. I've found that taking the short end of 2:1 odds on a regular basis is not a productive means to maintaining a strong pool of high-experienced pilots...

But it's a great game - yes? [;)]
TTFN,

Mike
coreyjones

Post by coreyjones »

Could night bombing the bejesus out of the airstrip maybe ruin it enough to lower their ops?
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: srv24243

Could night bombing the bejesus out of the airstrip maybe ruin it enough to lower their ops?

Yup - it sure could. High altitude Sweeps, as recommended by Lokasenna, are a good ploy also. I still would bring more Zeroes to the fight tho. There's just something comforting about bringing the biggest stick to a stick fight.
TTFN,

Mike
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Yes. On Very Hard, the computer gets a boost in combat.
I don't know that that has ever been stated by a dev. What has been stated is:

Hard = 50% bonus to supply and production
Very Hard = 100% bonus to supply and production

Now how those bonuses are implemented also has not been clarified that I know of.

I agree, it appears that on higher difficulty levels the AI fights better, but that could be due to either being in better supply OR getting a bonus on the in supply check OR they did get an actual combat bonus OR any combination of these OR MORE. There are so many modifiers involved in combat, I can't sort them out. [;)]

[:D][:D][:D]
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It's right here, clear as purple crayon!
ORIGINAL: Page 26

>>Hard - Computer is given some logistical advantages.
>>Very Hard - Computer is given some logistical and combat advantages.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I would avoid doing night strikes against the AI. Especially against the airfields. I have found that the AI can´t really counter that. At least that was true when I played the AI last time.

Do as Lokasenna suggest. Sweep at max altitude and you will prevail! [:)]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

It's right here, clear as purple crayon!
ORIGINAL: Page 26

>>Hard - Computer is given some logistical advantages.
>>Very Hard - Computer is given some logistical and combat advantages.
Ah, good to know. Don't know why Blackhorse didn't mention that in his reply ...
Pax
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Send in a bombardment group of CAs on consecutive days. The first will damage a bunch of the fighters and the second will finish them off. Use 2 different bombardment groups because they use up just about all their ammo in one bombardment.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Now how those bonuses are implemented also has not been clarified that I know of.

I agree, it appears that on higher difficulty levels the AI fights better, but that could be due to either being in better supply OR getting a bonus on the in supply check OR they did get an actual combat bonus OR any combination of these OR MORE. There are so many modifiers involved in combat, I can't sort them out. [;)]

Ancillary, but I also believe the AI does not prep or need PPs.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Or to maintain the Manchukuo garrison requirements...
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Or to maintain the Manchukuo garrison requirements...

Yep. A big help for it.
The Moose
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

It also ignores unit restrictions, it can ship any unit anywhere it chooses. It cannot ship a static unit though.
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Send in a bombardment group of CAs on consecutive days. The first will damage a bunch of the fighters and the second will finish them off. Use 2 different bombardment groups because they use up just about all their ammo in one bombardment.

Be careful doing that Rangoon starts with a Minefield.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Xargun

Be careful doing that Rangoon starts with a Minefield.

Yes, definitely a bummer. [:D]
String

Post by String »

On very hard the AI has knowledge of your actions and therefore might evacuate the fighters and LRCAP from a nearby airfield. Naturally, using bombers to close rangoon airfield might be a good idea then.
Surface combat TF fanboy
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Damn AI! [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”