Who is happy with Command?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

midnight_mangler

Who is happy with Command?

Post by midnight_mangler »

I was a member of the beta but did not get to play as much as I would have liked due to personal problems, but after a few days of playing V1.0 I realized that Command is everything I'd hoped it would be. I seriously feel like a kid in a giant sandpit filled with every single military toy I imagined as a boy and teenager. This game is going to keep me occupied for years. And I'm also looking forward to the new scenarios (hopefully more NATO and PACT because that was "my" era) which are bound to come.

Kudos to the devs. Who else has been overcome with fan boyish enthusiasm? Please tell me I'm not alone.
LuckyJim1010

RE: Who is happy with Command?

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Midnight - I am with you.

Quite simply overawed. I was concerned about the cost. Not anymore.

If there are people out there who really cannot afford it I would contribute an amount of money to buy it for them. A sort of 'Group By' thing

The devs deserve it and someone who is into this sort of simulation definitely deserves to be playing it.
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

You are not alone [:D]

I am absolute happy with what I have. I spent some reasonable hours in the forum the last 2 days trying to get answers, help others, point out what I believe should be improved, identify potential bugs.

I have not been a beta-tester but next time I better be, I see things that had to be raised prior to release and that apparently have not been adressed. I would have expected more here from the myriads of testers, however I know that the devs are listening and willing to tweak this sim even more. I am happy now and will be with every future patch in the next weeks.

So I will join you in saying thank you for this product and its immense scope.

Cheers,

Martin
tombo

Post by tombo »

Hi All

Im still on the fence here...please list a few game specifics why you give it such hi marks.

Thanks.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

It's not just testers...it's programming resources., The beta testers might have come up with 1000 issues/suggestions. The development team has to prioritize and decide what is done pre-release and what is done post-release.
adek670

Post by adek670 »

Guys,

I am a bit let down.

I cant play this game at a consistent 1:1 at real time - 1 Sec. Even with what appears to be a reasonable pulse time - ranging from 0 -40 ms. The seconds are about 50% slower than real time. By merging range circles and turning off enemy range circles it improves a little - still this game is far from the graphically intensive stuff that my PC chews up.

So, what are the actual system specs for this to run comfortably??

My Specs below.

Win 7 ultimate 64-bit,Q6600, Direct X runtime version: 11.0, 2 x GeForce GTX 260, , 8 Gig Ram
Geforce driver 327.23. res: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I am having similar issues with 1:1. Every other time runs great. Small scenarios are OK, but anything medium to large has the pulse time going all over the place and the CPU loaded. I would have expected the exact opposite.

That said, the game is awesome. I don't find the 1:1 issue that bad. But comparing it to all the features and functions avialable...holy cow. It is literally like someone played Harpoon and said how can I take this and add X, Y, and Z to make it better. Oh, and use a standard Windows interface instead of the kludged, clunky, psuedo-windows interface of Harpoon 2/3. Oh, and have a more elegant database system that also provides two massive databases out of the box.

There are some things to fix and tweak, but I am still impressed.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Reaper

Guys,

I am a bit let down.

I cant play this game at a consistent 1:1 at real time - 1 Sec. Even with what appears to be a reasonable pulse time - ranging from 0 -40 ms. The seconds are about 50% slower than real time. By merging range circles and turning off enemy range circles it improves a little - still this game is far from the graphically intensive stuff that my PC chews up.

So, what are the actual system specs for this to run comfortably??

My Specs below.

Win 7 ultimate 64-bit,Q6600, Direct X runtime version: 11.0, 2 x GeForce GTX 260, , 8 Gig Ram
Geforce driver 327.23. res: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Hello,

We are currently testing beta builds for v1.01 and UI performance (map pan/zoom) is high on the priorities list. After that we look at 1:1 performance.

In general, I prefer playing at 1:5 acceleration and switching to 1:1 only when things go too fast to control.

We are also looking at an option to run in 1:1 mode with 1-sec pulse length (a.k.a. "Harpoon mode") instead of the current 0.1 sec. This effectively sacrifices fidelity for the sake of performance and in tests has dramatically increased speed.

So don't write it off yet on this score!
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Bought the game Thursday night and have been playing since. Have not been disappointed; Command is a First Class effort and has met or exceeded all expectations - my sincere respect and appreciation to the entire Command Team.

Have read and reread the rules; still so much more to learn.

> If I cancel an air mission (units already in the air), or if I detach an airborne unit from that mission, how do I get that unit(s) to Return to Base? I know that I am overlooking some basic step.

Again, am very excited to have Command on my hard drive. I was a Harpoon Guy for years, then went on to other games, what a wonderful way to return to the naval and air warfare arena.

Thank You for your assistance - I will not hesitate to ask The Smart Guys for help when needed.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Right click unit or group and select RTB. Should do it. You can also assign a different base if you want in the right click menu. And you can see what its current assigned base is on the right somewhere in the unit information.
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
adek670

Post by adek670 »

Hi Sunburn,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Can you help with a confirmation of my system specs.

See previous posts - should I be able to run this game --- sorry im no real ninja at this stuff - just love harpoon and the alike -- this was a much anticipated release which I saved hard for and am a bit unsure still.

Also Im getting crackle from the sound effects - like static - cant imagine this is normal.

I am running an x-fi titanium

Reaper
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

Right click unit or group and select RTB. Should do it. You can also assign a different base if you want in the right click menu. And you can see what its current assigned base is on the right somewhere in the unit information.

Tomcat84 -

I knew that it would be a basic step that I was just overlooking.

I am most appreciative, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
mcoyote

Post by mcoyote »

Pretty tickled. I like it. I still have some performance issues on one of my machines, but one way or another they'll be resolved.

I'm hoping for some UI changes over time, but IMO that's window dressing around an impressive engine I think has lots of potential. As biased as it sounds, I hope this grows to become the Harpoon of this decade and will stick with it/recommend it on that basis.
Professional Coder on Closed Source. Do Not Attempt.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

mycote -

I have not had any problems with performance on my i7 computer, 6 Gigs of Ram and Nvidea Geforce 9800 GT card.

My system was assembled in 2010, and would be in the "older" category.

Am very confident that the Devs will work hard at improving Command in every aspect.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Hi Sunburn,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Can you help with a confirmation of my system specs.

See previous posts - should I be able to run this game --- sorry im no real ninja at this stuff - just love harpoon and the alike -- this was a much anticipated release which I saved hard for and am a bit unsure still.

Also Im getting crackle from the sound effects - like static - cant imagine this is normal.

I am running an x-fi titanium

Reaper

Hello,

Yes your specs are good for this game. As I've mentioned elsewhere currently 1:1 mode is _much_ more demanding on the system than 1:5+ because it does an insane amount of calculations in a very short amount of time. Some guys take this as a sign that Command is less performant than other titles whereas the opposite is true.

We've had a couple of reports on sound crackles on some SB cards. We'll investigate it but I hope you'll forgive us if it takes lower priority than some of the performance & UI issues we are currently looking into.

Thanks!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
Am very confident that the Devs will work hard at improving Command in every aspect.

Thank you. We do our best to stand up to your confidence.
FireForEffect

Post by FireForEffect »

Great game, looks like it will only get better. Extremely easy to use scenario editor and plays great on my work/travel laptop. [:)]
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

[&o]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
Yes your specs are good for this game. As I've mentioned elsewhere currently 1:1 mode is _much_ more demanding on the system than 1:5+ because it does an insane amount of calculations in a very short amount of time. Some guys take this as a sign that Command is less performant than other titles whereas the opposite is true.

We are also looking at an option to run in 1:1 mode with 1-sec pulse length (a.k.a. "Harpoon mode") instead of the current 0.1 sec. This effectively sacrifices fidelity for the sake of performance and in tests has dramatically increased speed.

I think the above are key points to keep in mind when discussing performance in Command. 1:1 in Command is not a direct analogy to 1:1 in many other games.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

I've experienced this too.

It tends to get worse over time, the longer a scenario is running. The sound effects start getting static "crackling".

The 1:1 time setting is a bit sluggish at times, but manageable at the beginning of a scenario. However it seems to degrade slowly over time, and get worse the longer they run (too).

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”