Assorted questions

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Vanman

Assorted questions

Post by Vanman »

Greetings all,

I must say at this point that I feel like a little boy at Xmas time waiting to open my presents. I am one of those people who have not played for two decades since Wif5, so anticipating all that has improved in the interim and MWIF is quite exciting. A few questions:

1. Is weather determined for the entire turn, or it it rerolled every impulse. I prefer the latter.

2. From what i remember Cruisers in Flames and Convoys in Flames are included. Any opinions regarding these two? Worth playing with?

3. I have never used netplay but it is my understanding that both have to be online simulstanouesly. Is one playing while the other twiddles his thumbs or can the inactive player be doing things (beyond thinking of course) at the same time? For examples, during the Global War setup, the USA is setup first, can the Axis player be setting up Italy at the same time (though not finalized until its proper order)?

4. For the Global campaign. Are the victory conditions strictly based on victory points? Or is there an alternative where both sides bid to play the allies and the player who bids lowest (meaning will force a surrender of the Axis at an earlier date that the other bidder) gets to play the allies. I was thinking something along the lines of: Axis major victory: Axis win outright. Axis Minor Victory: 2 of 3 axis major powers survive by the end of the earliest bidders date. Allied Major Victory: All 3 axis major states surrender by lowest bid date. Allied minor victory: 2 of 3 major axis states surrender by lowert bidders date. Note I am assuming here that one player plays all the axis major powers and one plays the allies. In other words are there alternate ways to win the game?

Thanks all.

Steve
composer99

RE: Assorted questions

Post by composer99 »

ORIGINAL: Vanman

Greetings all,

I must say at this point that I feel like a little boy at Xmas time waiting to open my presents. I am one of those people who have not played for two decades since Wif5, so anticipating all that has improved in the interim and MWIF is quite exciting. A few questions:

Glad to hear it... er, read it!

I will try to answer your questions. If I do not know the answer I will omit the question.
1. Is weather determined for the entire turn, or it it rerolled every impulse. I prefer the latter.

Weather is re-rolled every other impulse, by the side that went first in the turn, so for each impulse pair both sides get the same weather.
2. From what i remember Cruisers in Flames and Convoys in Flames are included. Any opinions regarding these two? Worth playing with?

Others have suggested that if you play with one, play with both; an assessment I agree with.

I personally don't as the extra naval counter density is personally annoying (and IMO gives the Allies a huge leg up defending convoys early on unless the Axis makes an extra-special effort), but with MWiF I could probably be talked into it.
4. For the Global campaign. Are the victory conditions strictly based on victory points? Or is there an alternative where both sides bid to play the allies and the player who bids lowest (meaning will force a surrender of the Axis at an earlier date that the other bidder) gets to play the allies. I was thinking something along the lines of: Axis major victory: Axis win outright. Axis Minor Victory: 2 of 3 axis major powers survive by the end of the earliest bidders date. Allied Major Victory: All 3 axis major states surrender by lowest bid date. Allied minor victory: 2 of 3 major axis states surrender by lowert bidders date. Note I am assuming here that one player plays all the axis major powers and one plays the allies. In other words are there alternate ways to win the game?

Thanks all.

Let me apologize in advance if I go into too much detail or am re-hashing stuff you already know. But I think it is the most comprehensive answer to your question, so I will proceed.

Unless you play with the extended game optional rule, the global war can end in one of two ways:

(1) Total Victory - which requires one side or the other to a specific set of hexes, consisting at least of almost every belligerent major power's capital city plus a few others (the exact list escapes me at present).

(2) During the victory step of the July/August 1945 turn. At this point, the objective hexes controlled by each major power are counted and are compared to their expected total (modified, if appropriate, by bidding). The power or side that beats their expected total wins.

(Strictly speaking playing with the extended game rule does not change the way this game can end - only the date of the final turn of play).

I do not believe the victory method you have outlined exists in MWiF, although it is certainly a reasonable one for a Second World War game (indeed, WiF player Devin Cutler uses a very similar scoring system for his WiFHistorical variants).
~ Composer99
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

There have been several posts on the AAR's that have mentioned minor country naval units. I do not wish to interrupt the AAR's so I will ask it here.

Has there been any changes to the control of minor country naval units after a Complete conquest?

The emphasis below is mine.
Complete conquest
When a major power or minor country no longer controls its own or any aligned home country, it has been completely conquered. Thereafter, it is at peace with everyone it was at war with.

Remove all its land and aircraft units from the game (exception: special Polish units, see 19.5.1). They no longer receive any annual additions to their force pools (see 4.1.1).

All naval units of a minor country remain under the control of their controlling major power. Treat them as units of that major power (British in the case of the Commonwealth).

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

I'm not doing an AAR, and I've gotten the rules wrong many, many times before, but I had always interpreted it kind of the way it reads. If Norway gets completely conquered, and there are Norwegian ships under the CW control, those are now British ships for all purposes. They'd say, co-operate with the Danish and Dutch ships, as long as both of those countries were also completely conquered.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The Dutch could even be incompletely conquered and if aligned with the CW, all those mentioned could co-operate, since the Dane and Norwegian ships would now be treated as CW units.
Paul
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

There have been several posts on the AAR's that have mentioned minor country naval units. I do not wish to interrupt the AAR's so I will ask it here.

Has there been any changes to the control of minor country naval units after a Complete conquest?

Complete conquest
When a major power or minor country no longer controls its own or any aligned home country, it has been completely conquered. Thereafter, it is at peace with everyone it was at war with.

Remove all its land and aircraft units from the game (exception: special Polish units, see 19.5.1). They no longer receive any annual additions to their force pools (see 4.1.1).

All naval units of a minor country remain under the control of their controlling major power. Treat them as units of that major power (British in the case of the Commonwealth).

A simple yes or no will do.
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

The Dutch could even be incompletely conquered and if aligned with the CW, all those mentioned could co-operate, since the Dane and Norwegian ships would now be treated as CW units.
However, if the Netherlands and Belgium are both incompletely conquered, then the units from those two countries still do not cooperate and cannot stack together. This comes up occasionally with naval units from these two minors not being able to stack together in ports (e.g., Plymouth).
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

New Readers of this forum might want to download a copy of the WiF manual (it is in Adobe reader format).

What Shannon V. OKeets (AKA: Steve} and paulderynck are referring to is:
18.1 Who can co-operate
1. Units from the same major power co-operate with each other (even if they are from different countries - e.g. Australian and Indian units).
2. Units from the same minor country co-operate with each other.
3. Units from a minor country co-operate with units from its controlling major power or minor country.
4. Units from a major power don’t co-operate with units from a minor country aligned with another major power.
5. Units from one minor country don’t co-operate with units from another minor country, even if both are aligned with the same major power.
6. US and Commonwealth units co-operate provided neither is neutral.
7. Commonwealth and Free French units co-operate.
8. US and (non-Vichy) French units co-operate once the USA is at war with Germany and Italy.
9. German and Italian units co-operate if neither is neutral.
10. Vichy French units do not co-operate with any major power.
11. Units controlled by a neutral major power don’t co-operate with units from, or controlled by, another major power.
12. Units from a liberated major power co-operate with units from the major power that liberated it.
13. Chinese nationalist and communist units don’t co-operate.
14. Partisans co-operate with units from their own country only.

Chinese partisans only co-operate with Chinese communist units.

No other units co-operate. As an exception to the above, units of a liberated major power never co-operate with units of a major power that refused to return territory on liberation (see 13.7.5).

AfA options 10: The Italian AOI territorial can co-operate with all other Italian territorials (see 22.4.5).

18.2 Not co-operating

Units that don’t co-operate cannot:
1. stack in the same hex, at any time that stacking limits apply; or
2. transport each other’s units; or
3. draw supply from a source controlled by the other; or
4. reorganise each other; or
5. be committed to any combat or mission that the other unit is, or will be, involved in this step. This doesn’t apply to naval air or naval air interception missions.

But you can do this

Units that don’t co-operate are not otherwise limited. In particular, they can:
1. occupy the same section of a sea-box;
2. take part in the same naval combat;
3. take part in the same convoy chain (unless neutral);
4. lend resources to each other;
5. trace supply through territory controlled by each other; and
6. enter hexes controlled by each other outside their major power home countries. You may of course only enter territory controlled by another major power on your side if that major power agrees.

Which doesn't address my original question.

Complete conquest

Would Steve or someone on the beta please address my question.
Orm

Post by Orm »

New Readers of this forum might want to download a copy of the WiF manual (it is in Adobe reader format).

What Shannon V. OKeets (AKA: Steve} and paulderynck are referring to is:
18.1 Who can co-operate
1. Units from the same major power co-operate with each other (even if they are from different countries - e.g. Australian and Indian units).
2. Units from the same minor country co-operate with each other.
3. Units from a minor country co-operate with units from its controlling major power or minor country.
4. Units from a major power don’t co-operate with units from a minor country aligned with another major power.
5. Units from one minor country don’t co-operate with units from another minor country, even if both are aligned with the same major power.
6. US and Commonwealth units co-operate provided neither is neutral.
7. Commonwealth and Free French units co-operate.
8. US and (non-Vichy) French units co-operate once the USA is at war with Germany and Italy.
9. German and Italian units co-operate if neither is neutral.
10. Vichy French units do not co-operate with any major power.
11. Units controlled by a neutral major power don’t co-operate with units from, or controlled by, another major power.
12. Units from a liberated major power co-operate with units from the major power that liberated it.
13. Chinese nationalist and communist units don’t co-operate.
14. Partisans co-operate with units from their own country only.

Chinese partisans only co-operate with Chinese communist units.

No other units co-operate. As an exception to the above, units of a liberated major power never co-operate with units of a major power that refused to return territory on liberation (see 13.7.5).

AfA options 10: The Italian AOI territorial can co-operate with all other Italian territorials (see 22.4.5).

18.2 Not co-operating

Units that don’t co-operate cannot:
1. stack in the same hex, at any time that stacking limits apply; or
2. transport each other’s units; or
3. draw supply from a source controlled by the other; or
4. reorganise each other; or
5. be committed to any combat or mission that the other unit is, or will be, involved in this step. This doesn’t apply to naval air or naval air interception missions.

But you can do this

Units that don’t co-operate are not otherwise limited. In particular, they can:
1. occupy the same section of a sea-box;
2. take part in the same naval combat;
3. take part in the same convoy chain (unless neutral);
4. lend resources to each other;
5. trace supply through territory controlled by each other; and
6. enter hexes controlled by each other outside their major power home countries. You may of course only enter territory controlled by another major power on your side if that major power agrees.

Which doesn't address my original question.

Would Steve or someone on the beta please address my question.
I am not comfortable to answer this question with a simple yes or no so therefore I have abstained from answering. But I decided to tell you why I didn't answer this question.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Thanks Orm [:)]

I can understand since english is not your first language and appreciate your response.

Return to “World in Flames”