How to get recommendations to retrofit?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Testmann

How to get recommendations to retrofit?

Post by Testmann »

Hi!

I've changed some setting and now I don't get these recommendations to retrofit my ships anymore.
Can someone tell me please what option I exactly have to click to activate these recommendation popups again?

Also, what exactly do I need to be able to build Tourist Resorts in the age of shadows?
Is there a specific tech I need?

Thanks for your help!
Beste Grüße!
StarLab

RE: How to get recommendations to retrofit?

Post by StarLab »

The recommendations are set in the options screen - the drop-down boxes at the bottom of that screen. I'm not in-game at the moment so I'm not sure what the option is actually called. I don't use automation (or suggestions) so I'm not sure off the top of my head.

For resorts, research HighTech->Transports Systems, and HighTech->Entertainment Systems. These will give you both Recreation Centers and Passenger Compartments. (Both needed for resort bases)

Depending on your level of automation, you may need to design the resort bases. Just ensure the above components are present in the design.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Testmann

I've changed some setting and now I don't get these recommendations to retrofit my ships anymore.
Can someone tell me please what option I exactly have to click to activate these recommendation popups again?

Go into Empire Policy, move the slider on the right of the screen to about half way down in the policies for your empire (image 1 B) under Research & Design is the 'Prompt for Retrofit ...' checkbox (image 1 A), make sure that has a tick in it, then click 'Apply Policy', that will bring back the recommendations again.

Darkspire

Testmann

Post by Testmann »

thanks for the replies, resort bases work now.

But I have the prompt to retrofit marker enabled all the time, but I still haven't gotten any prompts to retrofit yet. not sure why.
The design clearly has epsilon torpedos and the weapons on the ships are outdated missiles.
And I have 700k on hand so money should not be an issue.

could it have something to do with my game options?

ht tp://image-upload .d e/get/GmrGhK/bf38900d26.jpg
(remove 3 spacebars)
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

thanks for the replies, resort bases work now.

But I have the prompt to retrofit marker enabled all the time, but I still haven't gotten any prompts to retrofit yet. not sure why.
The design clearly has epsilon torpedos and the weapons on the ships are outdated missiles.
And I have 700k on hand so money should not be an issue.

could it have something to do with my game options?

ht tp://image-upload .d e/get/GmrGhK/bf38900d26.jpg
(remove 3 spacebars)

Not sure, could be the ship building being on manual but as I said not sure, you have the ship design on auto so I can not see any reason why it should not be working. I gave up with the suggestions checkbox purely for this reason, I could never fathom the logic behind it as to when it was asking for retrofits, bonus was I had to start designing ships and retrofitting them myself which I now really enjoy.

I am sure someone will post an answer for you though.

Darkspire
Testmann

Post by Testmann »

it's just a practical button to get all your ships to retrofit.

you know when I'm at peace and no pirates attack, thats when I want to click the retrofit all button. [:D]
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

it's just a practical button to get all your ships to retrofit.

you know when I'm at peace and no pirates attack, thats when I want to click the retrofit all button. [:D]

Clicking that button leads to madness and general hair loss [:D]

I can never get the auto refit button to upgrade a design properly unless I am towards the end of the tech tree, it is the only thing that really annoys me other than the UI and its lack of filters, have posted many times asking for it be fixed but it always falls on deaf ears, warpdrives are wrong, like replacing a velocity drive with a calisto drive, ignoring phaser lances and putting phasor cannons on, reactors and engines not being properly exchanged, shields getting replaced by a lower and weaker one. Sad thing is the manual side of this game gets a pretty raw deal in the design dept, all i get is 'It will upgrade properly if the component is so many levels above the last', the game is resource based and thus it is better to upgrade things as you advance a level so the jump in resources is not to heavy and I am unable to do that unless I babysit the designs, I can never trust that button unless it is at the end of the tech tree, all that is needed is a second screen on the design screen where a player can set up all the components in the order they want them exchanged, engines, warpdrives, reactors, weapons and shields being the main ones that get screwed up, I wasted so much time putting my designs right after clicking it I gave up on it in the end, with my suggestion for a fix it would make the manual design and retrofit a much more enjoyable experience. I could get around it in Legends with the custom designs as I could set things up as I wanted for the designs to progress with accurate control but with the new design templates in Shadows it is just a windup, you can not leave the AI to do things for you with those, half the time they are the wrong size and do not show up or have the wrong components on, I have spent hours making the policy files and templates match and still only have marginal success with getting the correct design come out at the end of it, the custom designs in Legends were much better and as an added bonus you did not have to click that dam button.

Darkspire
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

You have my blessing. Now go !retrofit !
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

I have noticed a possible issue with Retrofit prompts.
In a pre-Warp start, many times early game improvements accumulate and get presented as a 'laundry list'. Later the propmpts occur with almost every development of ship tech.

A recent game had Enhanced Missiles, Epsilon Torpedoes, Energy Collector, Proton Thrustors, Thrust vector and I believe Armor all in limbo until I developed the Warp Bubbles. They then all appeared in a single refit message.
While you can manually force the refit, it has to be done unit class by unit class, or if you are a glutton for punishment unit by unit.

Fair warning, anything with an assigned task seems to miss the refit requests. In the past I have found a mk1 version of a ship still flying around long long after others of its class were upgraded.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”