Running under WINE?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kashirigi

Running under WINE?

Post by kashirigi »

Seeing as I'm mostly a mac user, I was wondering if anyone has tried running this under WINE, and if they've have good results. Seeing as it mostly uses an unmodified Windows UI, I'm hoping for a resounding yes.

I do have a Windows box, but it's not nearly as portable, so it's not a deal killer.
vynnmalonis

RE: Running under WINE?

Post by vynnmalonis »

I do not have a mac, but I tried on linux and it started with a ton of errors. I have had problems similar to this running .net apps in wine before, so I should be able to get it working with some tweaks to wine and/or the correct install of .net and directx.

I will keep trying as I am in the same boat as you are, I have a laptop with linux, but with a big gaming rig.
Starstruck

Post by Starstruck »

I am running it on an iMac under Bootcamp and Windows 7. I tried running it under Parallels, but it was significantly slower.
Starstruck
Titus

Post by Titus »

Running it on Macbook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.3Ghz on Parallels 9 with Windows 8 virtual machine. Parallels configuration 4 cores, 4 GB memory, 1 GB video memory and faster virtual machine preference. Runs very smoothly easily, even the fans don't start to spin fast, as they use to do under heavy load.
kashirigi

Post by kashirigi »

While I'm happy it runs well on a dual-boot system or a VM, that's not really what I'm asking. I don't want to have to make another VM (or worse, dual boot); that's why I'm interested in WINE specifically. I'm certainly not interested in having to purchase Windows in addition to what is a rather surprisingly expensive game.
delenda

Post by delenda »

I'll start having a look too.

Mono does support .Net Framework 4 extended, so we should be able to get it going.

*crosses fingers*
delenda

Post by delenda »

ORIGINAL: vynnmalonis

I do not have a mac, but I tried on linux and it started with a ton of errors. I have had problems similar to this running .net apps in wine before, so I should be able to get it working with some tweaks to wine and/or the correct install of .net and directx.

Any chance you can post the errors?
kashirigi

Post by kashirigi »

I don't have it yet; if it doesn't run passably well under WINE it's very close to a deal breaker. That's why I was asking if anyone else had tried it.
delenda

Post by delenda »

Whoops, sorry, replied to the wrong user [:D]

I'll edit my original.
delenda

Post by delenda »

OK, so got Wine installed on OSX.

Installed .Net 4 & corefonts with winetricks. Command installed fine but I'm getting this when running:

http://imgur.com/p5jeFuJ
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Does OSX emulate DirectX in any way?
delenda

Post by delenda »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Does OSX emulate DirectX in any way?

Not OSX specifically but there's some software called Wine that helps.

Wine is a compatibility layer that implements Windows functionality - http://www.winehq.org/

Wineskin allows you to wrap applications up in to nice wrappers - http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... =Downloads

Wineskin also has some engines that help with getting DirectX going nicely.

delenda

Post by delenda »

I'm getting closer now. When running Command.exe, I get error messages regarding msxml3.dll being missing.

I'm installing it using winetricks and it does appear to be there...

*rage* not there [:D]

ls msxml*
msxml.dll msxml2.dll msxml4.dll msxml6.dll
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I haven't used wine in years due to difficulty getting some apps to work, but recently had good luck with virtualbox. Also free and worth investigating. I am running parallels now for my vm needs though, so cannot comment on any developments over the past year with virtualbox.

Post by delenda »

Ahh but virtualisation packages such as VirtualBox & Parallels (and even bare metal e.g bootcamp) require:

a) A windows license
b) An entire windows install
c) Partitioning (in the case of bootcamp)

Running with Wine would allow Command to run naturally.
delenda

Post by delenda »

Right. After several hours of messing (when I should have been playing CMANO...), I've managed to completely bork my Wine setup [:D]

As a last ditch attempt (because I thought dotnet40 might have been the culprit), I installed PortingTeams dotnet40 wrapper program and reinstalled CMANO using that but have had no joy. The sticking points I've had are:

a) When using Wineskin, D3D seems fine but it stumbles on msxml3.dll - even though it's present and installed
b) When using Wine directly, I get a load of D3D errors (image in post #10)

I've used winetricks to install msxml3, dotnet2,3,3.5,4, all of the directx options. The latest log shows:

fixme:d3d:init_driver_info Unable to find a driver/device info for vendor_id=0x10de device_id=0xfd5 for driver_model=2
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32b888,0x00000000), stub!
err:wgl:set_win_format no top-level parent with Cocoa window in this process
err:d3d:context_create Failed to set pixel format 69 on device context 0x90050.
err:d3d:context_create Failed to set pixel format 509 on device context 0x28005d.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format WINED3DFMT_R24_UNORM_X8_TYPELESS (0x49) in the format lookup table

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Direct3D registry settings but I don't have much experience with messing around with Wine settings. Anyone else fancy a shot?

Thanks,

Andrew

delenda

Post by delenda »

I'm going to keep posting what I find, just in case it helps anyone else.

Setting Wineskin to use the X11 Graphics driver in Screen Options results in the splash screen appearing for a split second and then vanishing. Logs:

set off screen: invalid drawable
X Error of failed request: 0
Major opcode of failed request: 148 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 1163
Current serial number in output stream: 1163

where as setting it to use the Mac Driver displays the Command splash screen but then the 'error initializing main form: Unable to create the Direct3D m_Device3d' message appers. Logs:

err:d3d:context_create Failed to set pixel format 69 on device context 0x90050.
err:d3d:context_create Failed to set pixel format 509 on device context 0xe006f.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format WINED3DFMT_R24_UNORM_X8_TYPELESS (0x49) in the format lookup table
fixme:d3d:getDepthStencilBits Unsupported depth/stencil format WINED3DFMT_UNKNOWN.
delenda

Post by delenda »

I'm now getting:

Unhandled Exception: fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"
System.ArgumentException: The AddressFamily 528 is not valid for the System.Net.IPEndPoint end point, use InterNetwork instead.
Parameter name: socketAddress

I suspect it might be something to do with dotnet3.5 as I can't get it installed...

Time to get some sleep! [>:]

Thanks,

Andrew

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”