Random Map Generator

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Richard III

Random Map Generator

Post by Richard III »

When setting up a new Random Map Vanilla ATG game I set it for a large or very large map. 4 AI players, normal, and old world ( or something like that )

I invariably end up with almost 40-50% water and my empire scattered in 2-3 small islands or worse set as small enclaves on an AI large continent. This is getting very frustrating, as the AI attacks these small enclave areas almost as once and I get toasted. One city on several tiny Islands are almost as bad, as I don`t have the cities on my main continent to build VS the 1-3 AI`s that attack me almost at once. Probably because the AI see`s I`m weaker then they. are. I notice that I tend to get this "random" setup more then the AI does, and after 5-6 restarts the serious frustration level sets in.

Is there anyway to avoid this in random game genertation, since I like water in the Map and don`t want to go to just all land mass.

Thanks
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Vic

RE: Random Map Generator

Post by Vic »

Hi Richard,

On the second settings screen you can set the size of the land masses. You'll be looking for a combination of high ocean map with big continent sizes.

Alternately you could opt for a 1 city start.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks for the super fast help Vic !

I will give that a try. The random map generator is why I love this wonderful game !!
ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi Richard,

On the second settings screen you can set the size of the land masses. You'll be looking for a combination of high ocean map with big continent sizes.

Alternately you could opt for a 1 city start.

Best,
Vic
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

@Richard: In addition to Vic's excellent suggestion, I'd suggest trying "land" world and backing off to only 2 or 3 AI. The label "land world" is somewhat misleading as there is still lots of water hexes. For a newbie to ATG, playing against 4 AI is perhaps biting off more than you are ready to handle. I typically play against no more than three. If you would like to team up in a PBEM game against 3 or 4 AI, let me know. That might be a good way to learn more about the game more quickly.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

I use land world and "Pangea" continents when I don't want to be on islands. Usually generates something I can work with.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Also, don't use AI + until you really know what you are doing. Even then I don't use it, it just becomes silly how much extra junk it gets.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”