Pricing Suggestion

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

2ndACR

RE: Pricing Suggestion

Post by 2ndACR »

I know, but for some reason you only premium price the game that I DO want. How about a frequent flyer program?[:D]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I have invested several hundred $ in Harpoon's various iterations over the 20 years. Some of them have been good and some have been failures. The game itself sold for $60 in the mid-nineties. I think $20 more for some people who have stepped outside the proverbial box is not a lot. This is not a limited set of units and areas like a CM purchase. This is a sandbox game. CM would set you back over $120 by the time you get all the available units in a series. That is the perspective I take.

I do have my concerns about alienating the people just below the hardcore naval gamers. I do think it is a long-term issue for this franchise, just like CM and Command Ops. But Matrix says the numbers drive the pricing and I have no numbers.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We're working on something like that actually, but major store features always take longer than we would like it seems.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I'd also like to point everyone who has questions about the game before making a decision whether or not to purchase at this thread for more information:

announcement.asp?id=26

Also please see all the pinned threads at the top of this forum for developer's notes, AARs and other information.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Well enough folks are down loading it to choke the server, I got Verizon FIOS with a 25/15 speed and it says 15 hours to down load. LOL
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Well enough folks are down loading it to choke the server, I got Verizon FIOS with a 25/15 speed and it says 15 hours to down load. LOL

That's not really that hard given Matrix's servers.

Also if you want to experience getting burned then I can happily recommend Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog. A product that adds nothing meaningful in the way of features over a series that's nearing 20 years old now and has substantially worse gameplay.

2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Nope, thanks but I am not a huge Close Combat fan, I have most of them, but it is not my true flavor. Call me picky about what I "justify" to the boss. One thing spending money on something she can "touch" but harder for my games. Even though I try to remind her about the new shoes, new dress, new scrubs, new this, new that she buy's, but I always lose that fight in the end.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Actually, the store downloads go through Amazon's Cloud servers. The bandwidth there is effectively infinite for our purposes and no release of ours affects it in any significant way. If the download is slow, that will typically be due to ISP issues or internet issues between your computer and our servers. Using a download manager may help - we've included links to some in the release posts and the order e-mails.

Our own customer-facing servers (such as the forum, FTP updates, etc.) also have more bandwidth than they need and very rarely approach max usage, at which point we upgrade them again. We've upgraded bandwidth and servers continually to keep up with customer demand.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

wow its cheaper then I thought it would be. Great job gents!
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Rob322

Post by Rob322 »

That's how many games get me. Wait for the initial fuss to burn off and then see what the players say and experience. Usually my resolve melts away ...
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Got the boxed version on the way!
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

While I'm not fond of the pricing situation, my biggest concern is whether Command will see another full-priced re-release in the future.

Why pay a "premium" price now if we'll have to do it all over again in two or three years, and lose patch support for this one once a multiplayer version is put out? It doesn't happen for all titles but has happened enough, here, to place this doubt in my mind. If we decide to pay $80 for this, how do we know that it won't be replaced by a newer version on down the road?
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

It's a really tough one. £60 is a big ask. It's as much as I paid for Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge. But Command Ops had a demo I'd spent 10-ish hours getting hooked on before taking the plunge.

When you are Rockstar games and you are selling GTA V and everyone on the planet and their mother is going to buy it because you have a track record of excellence then you can ask me to drop £60 blind on your game. If you are coming out of nowhere then you are going to have to let me see the thing running on my screen before you can make the same ask of me.

e: It's also no good telling me 'I'm sure all true wargame fans will get their money's worth out of this, take my word for it' because
a) you are paid to say this and would say it even if you didn't believe it
b) you sell Pride of Nations
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

The price was surprisingly high. I have very many Matrix games but I will definetely skip this one. I should see exceptional reviews before I can invest this kind of amount to the game. What a pity...
wodin

Post by wodin »

No idea why people are surprised at the price..it's been hinted at for a while it will be premium title.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Finally ran two scenarios...worth the price. Now to go build a new version of Dawn Patrol.
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: wodin

No idea why people are surprised at the price..it's been hinted at for a while it will be premium title.

It's the whole 'aaaargh, why put all the effort into building an accessible product if you are instantly going to slap an inaccessible price tag on it' factor.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Is it really inaccessible?
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

It is totally new game. In the case of other premium priced games I knew that I will get back something extraordinary. I am not sure now. Demo is not available and there are no reliable reviews. The scope of the game is also such that I would like to try it before buying.

I have already once made a mistake with Matrix. There was not demo available for the Field of glory. I was thinking that I like it because I am huge fan of historical war games but eventually game mechanics were too simple for me.

There should be always demo available for this kind of niche games.
fuf

Post by fuf »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Is it really inaccessible?

Yes, of course it is. Buying a game like this is a risk, and no amount of "trust me you'll love it" is going to change that. The price is too high for the vast majority of people (I'm even tempted to say "any rational person") to take the risk.

Return to “General Discussion”