New Land Unit Small Garrison.

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

New Land Unit Small Garrison.

Post by kirk23 »

This new land unit represents your home guard or militia, they protect your cities behind your frontlines, they are fixed in their city defence position, throughout the game. They cost zero upkeep, they can't be built so what you start with you keep. They are weak in attack, but slightly better in defence than your existing garrison units, to reflect street to street city defence,they can't be upgraded but they can be repaired![;)]

Attachments
Newlandu..newart..jpg
Newlandu..newart..jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Make it so!
suprass81

RE: New land unit Small Garrison.

Post by suprass81 »

Is this a begining of Grand Strategy mod? :D
Kirk are there any chance to set US entry between two numbers of convoy lost (for example between 100- 150 PP). This will bring an randomness to game.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi the USA convoy script already uses two levels pp losses,of hand I can't remember what they were, I have reduced both these levels in a mod at the moment,and play testing does show USA joining the allies, if Germany attacks to many convoys. As a side note I have also tweaked Russia in game settings, revolution wise and Russia now survives into late 1917 at least, if defended properly from Central powers attacks.

As for the new Small Garrison units, they were unused in the scripts, I have just given them a use in game, as your countries home guard.

Photo show the small garrison stats. They only use manpower when being repaired due to combat.

Attachments
Small garr..it stats.jpg
Small garr..it stats.jpg (77.09 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

New small garrisons protecting Serbia's cities behind the front lines. Note the greyed out National flag on all the Small Garrison units base, showing that they are fixed in defensive position, and can't leave the City they are defending![;)]

Attachments
Serbiawit..cities..jpg
Serbiawit..cities..jpg (348.7 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Do you ever sleep, great work, will this go into existing your work, or be a new mod. [&o]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

This is just for my unnamed mod, as will my new ship art work.
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

You mentioned Serbian artillery before. Is Serbian cavalry something new? This is going into another demension compared to the stock game.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have had Serbian Cavalry included in my earlier mod, but that mod is being superceded with new stuff on a daily bases, Be that new land units, ships or Commanders, I have to say I just love this game.[:)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

What happens to the Home GUard, when Allied infantry enter the city?
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

The Allied Infantry would capture the City as per normal, the garrison can't move so it gets wiped out in any attack, they don't retreat. It's then up to you to retake the City.[;)]

Having these units to protect your Cities, buy you a little time to bolster your defence, if they are attack by just one enemy unit, they will take damage but survive, but if attack by 2 or 3 Infantry then its curtains I'm afraid.

NB: Since these can't move, you can't swap there position with another friendly unit, your other units have to help drive the attacking forces away, if the City garrison falls, the city will be capture. Hope this answers your question more fully.[:'(]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

The Allied Infantry would capture the City as per normal, the garrison can't move so it gets wiped out in any attack, they don't retreat. It's then up to you to retake the City.[;)]

Having these units to protect your Cities, buy you a little time to bolster your defence, if they are attack by just one enemy unit, they will take damage but survive, but if attack by 2 or 3 Infantry then its curtains I'm afraid.

NB: Since these can't move, you can't swap there position with another friendly unit, your other units have to help drive the attacking forces away, if the City garrison falls, the city will be capture. Hope this answers your question more fully.[:'(]
Yes, but I could/would have issues not having access to the city with other friendly units. As far as "movement" goes, the Home Guard would be a hinderance.
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

As for the new Small Garrison units, they were unused in the scripts, I have just given them a use in game, as your countries home guard.

You mean that thous small garrisons were in the oryginal game scripts but unused?
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Yes they were unused, but I removed their movement ability, to force them to be City protectors.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Since these Cities are all behind the frontline, I see no need for larger troop types for their defence, its a different matter on the front lines, by sticking Infantry units into the city or Fortress hex. Behind the lines, you can easily position your stronger land units around the City in question, as and when the need arises.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Just finished Austrian small garrison art.

Attachments
NewAustri..sonart..jpg
NewAustri..sonart..jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

New Small Garrison units protecting Austrian Cities from game start.

Attachments
Austrians..Cities..jpg
Austrians..Cities..jpg (200.04 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

French small garrison art done.

Attachments
Frenchsma..isonart.jpg
Frenchsma..isonart.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Serbia land forces in place at games start, I have added six new Cities for Serbia, I have also amended, the Small Garrison placement slightly, Capital Cities will not have Small Garrisons placed in them, this will allow the gamer, to place whatever they like in the Capital City, all other cities behind the front line, will be protected with the new Small Garrison unit.

NB : I'm going to rename the Small Garrison unit ( HOME GUARD )

Attachments
Serbiadefence.jpg
Serbiadefence.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Ok Small Garrison have now been renamed Home Guard.

Attachments
HomeGuard.jpg
HomeGuard.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Tougher nut to crack, Belgium has 2 new Cities YPRES & MONS, 2 very famous places where major battles happened world war 1, so I felt they deserved a place on the map. I have also added new Cities for France, LILLE,AMIENS,RIEMS & CAEN, all with the new home guard units in place.

Attachments
FrenchHom..ardunit.jpg
FrenchHom..ardunit.jpg (284.93 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Make it so!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”