Oddites in first few turn

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

gargoil

Oddites in first few turn

Post by gargoil »

Full Campaign, first few turns:

1) Tried using an Elite Infantry to repair region that rail line was destroyed. Had over 300 war supplies. Game says I cannot do it.
2) Cannot purchase Rail capacity.
3) Cannot purchase Riverine Capacity.
4) I set Replacement AI to Medium (10%), I left money and conscripts available, I have 111 hits to Line infantry, and yet AI did not purchase any replacements.
5) Game manual and game itself does not specify when Divisoins and Corps become eligible to be formed.

Can anyone address these issues?

Thanks
Aurelian

RE: Oddites in first few turn

Post by Aurelian »

The rail/river purchase is not an every turn thing.
Per the manual:

You can increase your river and rail transport capacity with these options. This
will cost you Money and War Supplies. Please note that both transportation pools
suffer a constant loss through wear and tear, at a rate of 3%/turn for rail transport
and 1%/turn for river transport. The option will be available at regular intervals
(usually each quarter).

I take that to mean every three months.

EDIT: Just got to Early July 1861 and got the option for rail/river pool increase
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Per the manual:

You can increase your river and rail transport capacity with these options. This
will cost you Money and War Supplies. Please note that both transportation pools
suffer a constant loss through wear and tear, at a rate of 3%/turn for rail transport
and 1%/turn for river transport. The option will be available at regular intervals
(usually each quarter).

EDIT: Just got to Early July 1861 and got the option for rail/river pool increase

Thanks Aurelain - one question down, 4 to go [;)]
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I can form divisions right off the bat. Just click on the stack and go to special commands. It will ask you on the appropriate one if you want to activate the division command. Not the divisions on the US side are not activated as divisions.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
USSLockwood

Post by USSLockwood »

I don't see any advantage to divisions at all. I'm playing the Union, late June '61. I create a division and there is no benefit to CP's. The commanding officer's ratings go down. The divisions seem to disappear the following turn.
Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Corps can be formed starting in March '62.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Per the manual:

(usually each quarter).

Thanks Aurelain - one question down, 4 to go [;)]

Well, actually, I took care of #2 and #3 [:D]

IIRC, that is also the turn you get industrial options.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: doktor

I don't see any advantage to divisions at all. I'm playing the Union, late June '61. I create a division and there is no benefit to CP's. The commanding officer's ratings go down. The divisions seem to disappear the following turn.

The officer stats only go down for the turn you create the division. This simulates the fact he is coordinating his HQ. In the past you had to pay a money cost to form the division, so the penalty would remain in effect until you paid the cost. I’m not sure if that mechanic is still in the game, but assume if you start a turn with positive cash you paid for everything done in the previous turn and forming-up penalties should be gone.

The main benefit of a division is the fact the command cost remains the same no matter how many units you stuff into the division. So a stack of many units that costs 12 or 16 points can be turned into a single unit that only costs 4. Also a division fights as a single entity, so it makes your units more effective in combat.

To place a unit into a division, ctrl-click the commander then ctrl-click the unit. A green + sign should light up on the row of buttons you used to create the division, click it and the unit gets placed inside the division. Do that for each unit you want to put inside, though there is a limit to the number of units and total number of elements, so when one of the two limits is reached you can't put anything else into the division.

Jim
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Tried using an Elite Infantry to repair region that rail line was destroyed. Had over 300 war supplies. Game says I cannot do it.

Need more specifics, how were you trying to repair it? Was the repair rail button greyed out, or were you getting some error message when you pressed it?

Cannot purchase Rail capacity.

Option that appears in ledger occasionally.

Cannot purchase Riverine Capacity.

Option that appears in ledger occasionally.

I set Replacement AI to Medium (10%), I left money and conscripts available, I have 111 hits to Line infantry, and yet AI did not purchase any replacements.

AGEOD will have to address this, I never use it as I prefer total control and simply use the F2 screen.

Game manual and game itself does not specify when Divisoins and Corps become eligible to be formed.

Divisions are eligible right away as long as the leader is active that turn. If not simply wait until a turn when he passes his activation check. Corps are bugged in my game, I still can’t form one in July 1862.

Jim

Bulldog61

Post by Bulldog61 »

In the April 61 game as South there are no Elite infantry replacement but the Stonewall brigade has all elite regiments.
The North has far more capability than historical in 1861. When defeated they Northern Armies continue on to their objective.
You can run but you'll die tired!
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

About replacements automation, in the first few turns, the AI don't buy much replacements. Also it's 10% of what is allowed, not 10% of the budget you leave to 'her'. Perhaps you were already with enough replacements?
AGEOD Team
Bulldog61

Post by Bulldog61 »

No the regiments in the stonewall brigade were at 180 each and there was a - 70 elite replacements.
You can run but you'll die tired!

Return to “Civil War II”