New WiTE player overwhelmed!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

GreyWolf16

New WiTE player overwhelmed!

Post by GreyWolf16 »

I'm a huge Grigsby fan and have played most of his earlier games so now I thought I would give this one a go (hoping that the interface will resemble WiTW when it comes out.)

Oh boy! I knew it would be tough and I am trying to worj through the tutorial but even that is pretty damn dense. I guess I have a few questions already but also need any moral support you can give me and general tips on easing intoi this most complex interface.

- in quite a few info screens there is an indication of the number of 'men'. In this game does that always mean one body or does it sometimes refer to 1 squad?

- the tutorial takes me through a HQ 'creating' an attached tank squad. It warns me that it will take a turn before that squad starts to fill up with men and material. Conceptually though - where do those men come from? I assume that I cannot just create squads willy nilly without having that become ineffective at some point.

- are there user made guides or tutorials anywhere to help me get started beside the official manuals?

I guess I need a tutorial for my tutorial!

Thanks for any help.
Bozo_the_Clown

RE: New WiTE player overwhelmed!

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

I know how you feel. It's an amazingly detailed game. Check out the following link. It contains a lot of useful information.

http://witewiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

The operational bootcamp is pretty useful: tm.asp?m=2649216
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

ould be tough and I am trying to worj through the tutorial but even that is pretty damn dense.

Try the manual.
JUST KIDDING! [:D] The manual is TERRIBLE!

More seriously...
I found it was very helpful to find an opponent who is sympathetic to your situation.

They won't destroy you with mysterious advanced technology like HQBUs and fuelbirds.
And if you're really lucky they will write a few helpful lines each turn suggesting what you should have done differently.
(Hats off to my opponent HERMANN who helped out with this commentary tm.asp?m=3375846)

I am more than happy to volunteer myself, but it might be the blind leading the blind.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Dangun
ould be tough and I am trying to worj through the tutorial but even that is pretty damn dense.

Try the manual.
JUST KIDDING! [:D] The manual is TERRIBLE!

More seriously...
I found it was very helpful to find an opponent who is sympathetic to your situation.

They won't destroy you with mysterious advanced technology like HQBUs and fuelbirds.
And if you're really lucky they will write a few helpful lines each turn suggesting what you should have done differently.
(Hats off to my opponent HERMANN who helped out with this commentary tm.asp?m=3375846)

I am more than happy to volunteer myself, but it might be the blind leading the blind.

I've read far worse. Try the WITE-Manual-[US_LETTER].pdf. It has got all the game changes in it shown in red.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: GungaDin

I'm a huge Grigsby fan and have played most of his earlier games so now I thought I would give this one a go (hoping that the interface will resemble WiTW when it comes out.)

Oh boy! I knew it would be tough and I am trying to worj through the tutorial but even that is pretty damn dense. I guess I have a few questions already but also need any moral support you can give me and general tips on easing intoi this most complex interface.

- in quite a few info screens there is an indication of the number of 'men'. In this game does that always mean one body or does it sometimes refer to 1 squad?

- the tutorial takes me through a HQ 'creating' an attached tank squad. It warns me that it will take a turn before that squad starts to fill up with men and material. Conceptually though - where do those men come from? I assume that I cannot just create squads willy nilly without having that become ineffective at some point.

- are there user made guides or tutorials anywhere to help me get started beside the official manuals?

I guess I need a tutorial for my tutorial!

Thanks for any help.
Here's something for a start:

tm.asp?m=2984809

The best WitE forum posts in one document, courtesy to Fabio Governato.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

I've read far worse.

Hardly a compliment.
The WITE manual is almost unusable for a new player.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I've read far worse.

Hardly a compliment.

Not really.

I found it was good enough for me to start the intro scenario and one of the 'Road tos'. With a little bit of play experience I then found I understood it a lot better, I now use it to check something or to work out if I do properly understand a mechanic.

At least, unlike some other game companies, it is kept up to date. What would help is a more narrative 'strategy and tactics' guide, but that really exists on this forum and in the collection that my esteemed opponent, Oberst_Klink, has linked to.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: loki100

I've read far worse.

Hardly a compliment.

Not really.

I found it was good enough for me to start the intro scenario and one of the 'Road tos'. With a little bit of play experience I then found I understood it a lot better, I now use it to check something or to work out if I do properly understand a mechanic.

At least, unlike some other game companies, it is kept up to date. What would help is a more narrative 'strategy and tactics' guide, but that really exists on this forum and in the collection that my esteemed opponent, Oberst_Klink, has linked to.
Attending to my post in a bit... even Saturdays I have to fulfil duties such as work, cleaning me flat, football :D

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Marvin Pontiac

Post by Marvin Pontiac »

Hi GungaDin,

I'm new to WiTE too. And at first I couldn't get myself to make even 1 move, I just couldn't get my head around where to start or what was important. Overwhelmed by details. Here's what I finally did:

1. Play the tutorial as explained in the tutorial manual.
2. Leave the manual for now.
3. Play "Road to Minsk" on 'Easy' with 'Fog of war' off. It's only 3 turns (play this as Axis! this is depressing as Soviet).
4. Make sure you check the victory-condition flags so you know what you're supposed to be doing (e.g. which cities you're supposed to capture/hold) and also which will give you the most points.
5. Look around the map a bit (15 min?) and click on some unit/things that catch you're eye.
6. When you get bored with looking around start making moves (attacking/moving) in a sort of 'half-arsed' attempt at it. Don't worry about judging the situation wrong. You can save a lot so you can always go back.
7. Pretty soon you should be having fun.
8. If you don't understand some colors/number/symbols try to find their meaning in the manual. Or if you want to know if/how you can do something try to find it in the manual. If you can't find it let it go or if you really want to know then ask here on the forum.

Hope this works for you.

Marvin

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”