OT-Why oh why?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Numdydar

OT-Why oh why?

Post by Numdydar »

The new Civil War game is out and I really want to get it. I already bought the Longest Day since it went on sale as I have wanted that too for a while. However I have not bought the Civil War 2 yet even thought it looks really good. Why?

Consider the following (all against the AI) that I would love to actually finish.
I have a Pride of Nations game played to 1862 - ongoing
Hearts of Iron 3 Their Finest hour to early 1942 - ongoing
Panzer Corp - Eastern Front - late '44 - ongoing
DC Case Blue - 3 scenerio's in to the campaign - ongoing
Germay at war, also 3 scenerios in - ongoing
Railroad tycoon 3 (odd man out but love the game [:)]) 2 scenerios in - ongoing

Not to mention several roleplaying games that I have prettty much stopped playing altogeather.

What is wrong with this picture? It is because I am playing THIS game, WitP. It is like I caanot stop. SOMETHING is always going on. Just when I think the current crisis is taken care of and I can stop and do something else for a while, things crop up. Like oh, I need to get these planes from Japan to Rabaul and when that is done I can stop. Or a major battle occurs and you want to make sure the damaged ships make it to a port without sinking (or being sunk by enemy actions).

But noooo. By the time the planes have been delivered, etc., I need fuel/supplies/something somewhere else urgently. Then you find out that you had turned off Naval point production to save HI as you had tons of Naval points saved only to FORGET to turn them back on. And only notice you had run out of Naval points a month ago [:@] So then you need to double check EVERTHING. And so the cycle continues.

Operational Art of War is on sale and definately one I want to get too but again why. I know I will play around with it for a while, but then just start playing this stupid game again.

I need more balance in my life (just ask my wife lol). How can I break this cycle? Especially since I am now playing three games of WitP [X(]. One PBEM, Scenerio 1 as Japan against the AI, and DaBaes Ironman C version as the Allies. I feel like I will never play another game again. Is there any hope for me at all?
nashvillen

RE: OT-Why oh why?

Post by nashvillen »

So? What is the problem?

I don't see anything wrong here.

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Have you tried RHS mod for WITP:AE? It's what Goebbels had in mind when he talked about "die totale Krieg".
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Take drugs!!! Start inhaling!!!!
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

So? What is the problem?

But playing three games of the same game when I have all these others I want to finish? How many WitP games are you playing at the same time [:)]?
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

All games besides AE are merely hobbies. Something to do on weekends. Something to recharge your batteries and not get burned out on your career.

AE is your career. Careers can last 40 years if you start early enough.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

So? What is the problem?

But playing three games of the same game when I have all these others I want to finish? How many WitP games are you playing at the same time [:)]?

Uh....6? Counting PBEM and AI. Yep, 6. Might drop to 5 though.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Wow [X(] And I thought I was bad [:D]

I guess I just have not yet completely given up on having a life outside of WitP like you have lol.

Are you cutting back to 5 because you are getting help with starting up a life again [:)]
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Don't you guys have women to make you do chores instead of playing? [;)]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

What Longest Day are you referring to?

I have the original Avalon Hill monster board game by that name, but am unfamiliar with any newer games with that title?

Is this a computer game I could get into?
Hans

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

PBEM on weekends - Do a chore, play a turn, do a chore, play a turn...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Grasshopper,

Confucius say: The key to a happy life is to have the women do the chores while you play.

Regards,
Feltan

P.S. Try saying, "Wench, fetch me a beer while I invade Tarawa." Let me know how that works out for you. :-)
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

+1
Makes chores no longer than 2 hours.[:D]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

What Longest Day are you referring to?

I have the original Avalon Hill monster board game by that name, but am unfamiliar with any newer games with that title?

Is this a computer game I could get into?

Why yes it is a game you can get into [:)]

http://matrixgames.com/store/368/Close. ... ongest.Day This is the one I was refering to in my OP.

There is aslo Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy by Battlefront

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=26

Depending on what type of Normany game you are looking for, here is a Top 10 list of Normandy based computer games. So chose your posion [:)]

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/entertainm ... op_10.html

EDIT:
Of course if you REALLY want to go old school you can download Atomic Games D-Day: America Invades (1994 no less) for free. It works fine on my Win 7 with DosBox. Of course the graphics are almost 20 years old lol, so don't expect a lot [:)]

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/d-day ... 1#download
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Wow [X(] And I thought I was bad [:D]

I guess I just have not yet completely given up on having a life outside of WitP like you have lol.

Are you cutting back to 5 because you are getting help with starting up a life again [:)]

Nah, when life gets in the way the AI games go on pause. I have several because I'll be in the mood for different things, depending (Ironman as the Allies, my first AI as the IJ, and a second as the IJ to try new things). I play baseball once a week, work 35-40 hours plus 10 hours commuting, and see people 1-3 times each week... I just don't really play any other games [;)]. Besides League with those old friends, but that'll only be for an hour or three every couple of days.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I lived in DC/VA/MD area for quite a while, so I definately understand the commute time lol.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”