Rotating MWiF global map

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Neilster

Rotating MWiF global map

Post by Neilster »

The new attachment limit size means I can post a larger version of my avatar. Feel free to rip it off but you may have to open it in a web browser [:)]

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
MWiFworld450.gif
MWiFworld450.gif (4.41 MiB) Viewed 110 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

RE: Rotating MWiF global map

Post by Neilster »

This is still too small and rotates too quickly for my tastes though. I'd like to do one about 1000 pixels high that rotates more slowly and smoothly. I'd also like to have the units of a global war campaign on it. That might have to wait until the game is released, as I don't have the large global map of such a campaign I need in order to modify it and then turn it into a 3D object for the animation.

The GIF above required 71 versions of such a 3D MWiF Earth. For my larger one I'd like to do 359. That should give the scale and stately rotation befitting a World in Flames [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

Cheers, Neilster
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

This is still too small and rotates too quickly for my tastes though. I'd like to do one about 1000 pixels high that rotates more slowly and smoothly. I'd also like to have the units of a global war campaign on it. That might have to wait until the game is released, as I don't have the large global map of such a campaign I need in order to modify it and then turn it into a 3D object for the animation.

The GIF above required 71 versions of such a 3D MWiF Earth. For my larger one I'd like to do 359. That should give the scale and stately rotation befitting a World in Flames [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

[X(]
Wow! That is ambitious and so cool. [:)]

How large file would such a 3D MWiF Earth GIF be?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Well, the one above is over 4Mb so I'm thinking HUGE! I might have to go with a different animation technique. The reason I made the GIF is that I was making my MWiF globes and I thought "Hey...I should be able to make a GIF animation out of these!" All I did was to keep the same viewpoint and lighting etc and rotate the object 5 degrees each time before saving.

Satisfyingly, it's all done with freeware. I'm the freeware king [:'(]

Orm, if you are allowed to give me the large global war campaign map I require (say about normal monitor size), I'll get started on it.

Does anyone know of the best freeware for creating the sort of animation I want to do? Seeing as the GIF will be so huge, perhaps a Flash animation would be better? I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers, Neilster

Cheers, Neilster
Orm

Post by Orm »

This is as large as I can get it.

Attachments
GlobalMap.jpg
GlobalMap.jpg (473.85 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

OK. That's cool. I've got something like that. I was hoping for one with all the units on it so you can see the Eastern Front, battle for the Med, war in China etc.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”