Occupation of Oil Fields

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Xargun

Occupation of Oil Fields

Post by Xargun »

In my current PBeM I am playing the Japanese side again RRoberson. It is mid January 42, and I am marching down Malaya towards Singapore and just took Port Swettenham. I also control Port Dickson. The allies still control Malacca and according to recon have several units there. The turn just processed (In which I took Port Swettenham) and the computer decided I should capture Bengkalis as well. Now normally I don't say anything about what the computer gives and how, but this base is across the Straits of Malacca completely isolated from me but even worse it has a size 40 oil field at it. Now 40 isn't huge, but its still a nice oil field.

I have no way I can think of to get men or aircraft there to protect the base before Rob can pound the oilfields into nothingness. We currently have no house rules and when I brought this up we thought we would bring it to the forum to see what every one thinks. I am asking for a rule so he cannot target bases like this that are handed to the Japanese player with no idea its coming and I'm not in a position to actually place defenses there. I have never had this happen before and we are wondering what the community thinks.

I think he shouldn't bomb it flat until I get men there - then its a fair target.

His concern is I could never put men there and still enjoy the benefits of the oil. This could be true in later game, but there is no way to support this base until Singapore is knocked out. By then the oilfield will be completely destroyed. I'm not against his bombing my oil but I would like a fair chance to defend it.

What says the community ? Here is a map.

Attachments
Malaya.jpg
Malaya.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 146 times
rroberson

RE: Occupation of Oil Fields

Post by rroberson »

Legit target [8D].

That being said, I can certainly see an opponent asking for this house rule then never actually occupying it and in that sense forcing me to defend the captured hex from me.

Not that Xarg would do that.

But to me this is a legit target and I should be able to level it if I feel the need. (I haven't, and frankly wasn't since I have bigger fish to fry [:'(] )
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

To me, although I don't like HRs much, it doesn't seem right for your opponent to pound a base you had no intention of taking yet. Maybe say two or three days after Singapore falls it becomes fair game. That would give you time to ship base forces and/or AA there if you really want to protect it.

Of course, as rroberson says, maybe he's got other targets more worthy of his bombers.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Normally all oil fields are fair game in my book. But this is an exception and he should not bomb you.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

If it is producing oil for the Empire, I would think it is a legit target.

Since this came into your control "by accident," one could rationalize the Dutch using demolitions on it to prevent its capture.

Regards,
Feltan
btbw

Post by btbw »

Kuala Lumprur or so + Landing Barges
Air transport some troops and engineers/air supp
SBD

Post by SBD »

No bombing until the end of January, then let him bomb it.
kjnoel

Post by kjnoel »

The local population have decided to join the Japanese Empire before any troops appear, so are actively working against the Allied war effort which is already in trouble in these dark days...... legitimate target [:'(]
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

No bombing until it joins the Empire, then let him bomb it.

Wait, is Rober supposed to allow you the time to set up an adequate defense of Bengkalis before he attacks it?
Are your operations limited by a similar 'unspoken agreement between gentlemen' - "I won't pound on you 'til you're ready for it"?

Rober is free to ruin those oil-points at his leisure, you're welcome to defend them if you can.

cdnice

Post by cdnice »

ORIGINAL: kjnoel

The local population have decided to join the Japanese Empire before any troops appear, so are actively working against the Allied war effort which is already in trouble in these dark days...... legitimate target [:'(]

I agree, legit target. Pretty routine for forces to destroy resources and equipment to avoid them falling into enemy hands as quoted above, population switches sides then they are fair game imho.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

At least it's not Magwe or Palembang...
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Scorched earth makes it fair game in my book! I have never understood how Dutch and Brits let so much servicable infastructure fall to the Japenese.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I wonder if they figured they'd just get it right back.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Both arguments are reasonable. What does your opponent think?

Personally, were I playing Allies I would stay my hand for a few turns. Even if I was able to destroy the infrastructure, the nonsensical switchover to the Japanese seems a game engine effect and is unrealistic. Realistically, though, what can you do about it anyways? It's probably not worth LRCAPing against B-17s, so I'm not sure what 3-5 days of 'mercy' will get you anyways.

As an aside, since you're playing with NO HRs, I trust you've emptied Kwangtung of all support, artillery, armor and (most of) your LCUs? China oughta be interesting. [:)]
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Both arguments are reasonable. What does your opponent think?

Personally, were I playing Allies I would stay my hand for a few turns. Even if I was able to destroy the infrastructure, the nonsensical switchover to the Japanese seems a game engine effect and is unrealistic. Realistically, though, what can you do about it anyways? It's probably not worth LRCAPing against B-17s, so I'm not sure what 3-5 days of 'mercy' will get you anyways.

As an aside, since you're playing with NO HRs, I trust you've emptied Kwangtung of all support, artillery, armor and (most of) your LCUs? China oughta be interesting. [:)]

Legit target. For whatever reason that region had decided to join the Japanese Co-Prosperity Sphere. I wish them well, but like any part of the empire's ill-gotten gains they should expect the whistle of death falling out of the sky.

(We aren't playing sans HRs, we have been playing each other for around a decade now and avoid that gamey crap that games can/have devolved into taking advantage of the computer's weakness at simulation of the Pacific War. (Like emptying Kwangtung without paying full PPs) It was my suggestion we put this to the forum and let you guys decide because if it's gamey I'm not interested in doing it. As I said earlier my bombers have juicer targets to hit, so mostly this is just a question should this pop up in the future at a target I would expend my bombers to hit).
MateDow

Post by MateDow »

Historically, the Dutch didn't have trouble bombing rebelleous citzens. They bombed naval vessels that were mutinous, so why not an oil field that goes over to the enemy?
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

I'd not have a big issue with the bombing of it.

That aside, doesn't an allied unit start there ?and isn't there a garrision requirement (presumably for both sides). Maybe the partisans will do plenty of damage on their own.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

@rroberson: I trust you understand my confusion. See the note from Xargun in his initial post.
ORIGINAL: Xargun
We currently have no house rules and when I brought this up we thought we would bring it to the forum to see what every one thinks.

Practically speaking, I can't envision another "accidental" long-distance oil center falling like this one, so this has the smell of a "one-off" issue rather than a trendsetter.

Anyways, you guys playing each other for a decade relegates this small question to the back burner for me. It shouldn't be an issue. Forget about it, move on. If the game makes it Japanese held and you get to bomb it (in accordance with your HRs, whatever those may or may not be), then long life and happiness to you both. It won't make a difference in the game, Xargun, and it's unlikely to happen again in any case.
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

@rroberson: I trust you understand my confusion. See the note from Xargun in his initial post.
ORIGINAL: Xargun
We currently have no house rules and when I brought this up we thought we would bring it to the forum to see what every one thinks.

Practically speaking, I can't envision another "accidental" long-distance oil center falling like this one, so this has the smell of a "one-off" issue rather than a trendsetter.

Anyways, you guys playing each other for a decade relegates this small question to the back burner for me. It shouldn't be an issue. Forget about it, move on. If the game makes it Japanese held and you get to bomb it (in accordance with your HRs, whatever those may or may not be), then long life and happiness to you both. It won't make a difference in the game, Xargun, and it's unlikely to happen again in any case.

Yup I can see that.

As far as this bombing thing goes, it really wasn't that big of a deal to me. To me if it's red it's dead ;-). But Xarg is still smarting from the last time we played where I leveled Palm after he took it while my B-17 forces were still located in the region. [8D]

I hadn't intended to bomb it and frankly wouldn't of thought to if he hadn't brought it up.
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

What would the Dutch have done if a band of partisans occupied an oil facility and turned it over to the Japanese? Isn't that essentially what happened? Re-capturing it with ground forces would be an option, but only if the Allies needed that oil. Otherwise, to deny it's use to Japan, they would bomb the crap out of it to put it out of commission.

How can one reasonably say that a "gift" should not be bombed by your opponent just because you haven't occupied it?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”